Figo pet insurance review May 2021
Tap into one of the only plans that offers up to 100% back on vet bills.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for the highest reimbursement rate available.
- Pick something else if you want a bargain for wide coverage.
From 8 weeks
$100 - $750
From 70% to 100%
|Average monthly cost||$33.45|
|Types of policy||Accident, Illness|
|Multi-pet discount||10% for each additional pet|
|Bundling discount||Not offered|
|Paid in ful||Not offered|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Figo stands out with its high reimbursement rates and unlimited annual benefit options that come at a surprisingly reasonable cost. Plus, no matter which plan you choose, you’ll access handy app features, such as claims filing, account management and connecting with other pet parents.
On the other paw, Figo’s policies have a few specifics like a lower benefit limit for chiropractic care that’s good to know before you buy. The company also sees an unusually high number of complaints, despite positive customer reviews on Trustpilot.
This company is worth a quote for its features, but compare that with more pet insurance quotes to find a policy that suits you and your four-legged companion.
What's in this guide?
- How much is Figo pet insurance?
- How do I sign up?
- Pros and cons of Figo pet insurance
- Figo pet insurance reviews and complaints
- What pet insurance coverage does Figo offer?
- What extra benefits and add-ons does Figo offer?
- What's not covered?
- Alternatives to Figo pet insurance
- Frequently asked questions about Figo pet insurance
How much is Figo pet insurance?
Figo ranges from $12 to $30 per month for cats, and $20 to $65 per month for dogs. Coverage for vet exam fees costs around $5 extra per month for cats and $8 to $10 extra per month for dogs.
With other pet insurance companies, you’d expect monthly payments around $20 for cats or $40 for dogs. You can buy a policy with Figo right around this standard, but its most comprehensive plans might cost you more than other companies. Changing your deductible also makes a major difference in the cost you’ll pay with Figo.
Figo pet insurance quotes
|Breed||Age||Gender||Deductible||Reimbursement||Maximum benefit||Monthly rate|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$750||70%||$5,000||$11.00|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$250||90%||$10,000||$30.86|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$500||100%||$10,000||$27.80|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$750||70%||$5,000||$22.41|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$250||90%||$10,000||$63.86|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$500||100%||$10,000||$56.77|
Which discounts can I get?
Figo’s discounts vary by state, so you’ll need to talk with customer service to see if discounts apply to you.
If you have multiple pets you might want to compare rates from companies that offer multi-pet discounts. You could save around 10% on your premium for doing so.
How do I sign up?
You can sign up for Figo’s plan quickly online or by calling 844-738-3446. If you’re signing up online:
- From the homepage, click Get A Quote.
- Enter basic details about your pet’s name, age, breed and ZIP code. Click Get Quote.
- View your quote and adjust your deductible and reimbursement. You can also add coverage or other pets. Click Continue.
- Enter your personal information, payment details and search for your pet’s veterinarian.
- From this page, you’ll also set up your Pet Cloud account. Then, choose how you want to personalize your free pet tag. Click Purchase.
Pros and cons of Figo pet insurance
- 100% reimbursement option available. You can choose up to 100% coverage for vet bills with unlimited annual benefits. Most companies go up to 90% with an annual dollar limit.
- Plans for nearly every budget. Whether you can only pay a few dollars for pet insurance or a few dozen, you can adjust your plan to fit that need.
- Extra tools and app features. This company goes beyond pet insurance, providing a place for owners to connect, pet health advice and scheduling reminders all in its handy app.
- You pay extra for exam fee coverage. Covering the vet’s exam fees comes standard in many competitor policies.
- Limitations for specific conditions. Several medical problems include a one-year waiting period, including cruciate ligament or hip dysplasia conditions. Also, chiropractor and acupuncture care have annual limits of $350 to $1,000.
- Lifetime maximums may apply. Depending on the plan you choose, your pet may have a maximum insurance payout across the pet’s lifespan. Options include a $100,000, $150,000 or unlimited lifetime maximum.
- Mixed customer reviews. Figo shows many customer complaints, but its customer reviews on Trustpilot offer positive feedback.
Figo pet insurance reviews and complaints
Figo sees a mix of high and poor customer and business ratings overall. The company holds a B rating with the Better Business Bureau, as of September 2020. This rating reflects the high number of complaints filed against Figo in the past few years.
Figo’s policies are backed by the American Independence Insurance Company, which scores a 7.03 on the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. This score shows too many complaints compared to the business size.
The NAIC index factors in the number of complaints based on the business’s industry and size. A 1.00 score is considered the national standard, and anything above that shows too many complaints.
On the bright side, Figo holds a 4.3 out of 5.0 rating on Trustpilot, based on over 600 customer reviews.
What pet insurance coverage does Figo offer?
Figo packs protection in three different pet insurance packages. This coverage comes standard, while the annual benefit limits, deductibles and reimbursements change with each package.
- Imaging and labs. See what’s going on with your pet’s health through blood tests and advanced imaging like X-rays, MRIs and ultrasounds.
- Accidents. Pay for injuries or health problems that happen from accidental situations like fighting with another animal or eating something harmful.
- Illnesses. Protect your pet from sudden or long-term sickness like skin rashes, ear infections, diabetes or even cancer.
- Knee conditions and hip dysplasia. The company includes these conditions in all its policies, with a six-month waiting period for knee conditions.
- Dental accidents. Repair your furry companion’s teeth if they become crooked or knocked out after an accident.
- Prescription medication. Pick up the medicine your four-legged friend needs to get better.
- Behavioral medicine. If your vet recommends medication to treat a pet’s behavioral issues, Figo has you covered.
- Chiropractor or acupuncture. These specialty treatments come standard with any of Figo’s packages, as long as they’re performed by a licensed vet.
- Hospitalization and emergency services. If you need to rush your pet to vet care, you can use any 24/7 pet ambulance or urgent care clinic. Also, you can use your policy for hospital stays connected to covered medical problems.
- Surgery. If a vet deems surgery a necessary treatment route, Figo thinks so too and pays for it with your plan.
- Prosthetics and orthotics. Cover devices that help your canine or feline recover from surgery or get around after arthritis, paralysis or amputation.
- Cancer treatment. Use standard treatments or new alternatives like radiosurgery to treat your furry friend’s cancer.
- Euthanasia and cremation. Figo takes financial pressure away from this difficult decision. It pays for euthanasia and cremation expenses if your vet deems this option medically necessary.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Figo offer?
The company comes with several coverage options and additional benefits offered through its Pet Cloud app:
- Rehabilitation coverage. Pay for alternative treatments like water, heat or laser therapy if you add this option.
- Exam and consultation fees. This add-on includes the vet’s exam fees in the costs that you’re able to get reimbursed.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t like your Figo policy and haven’t used your coverage within 30 days, you can get a full refund. This isn’t available to owners in Pennsylvania, and partial or no refund may apply if you use your coverage.
- Use any vet in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico. Figo gives extra flexibility with the locations where you can use your pet policy.
- Live 24/7 vet advice. Get live advice from a vet, any time of the day or night.
- Pet reminders. Schedule your pet’s checkups and preventive medicine. That way you don’t miss important dates.
- Free pet tag. Figo sends you a personalized pet tag complete with your furry friend’s name and birthdate. The tag could help someone locate your pet if they get lost.
- Lost pet tool. If you found a lost pet, you can enter the pet’s tag number on Figo’s website to search for the owner’s contact information.
- Connect and explore. Figo’s Pet Cloud app lets you post pictures of your pet and connect with other pet parents.
What’s not covered?
Figo excludes situations that are commonly not covered by pet insurers. Those include:
- Pre-existing conditions.
- Routine care like grooming or annual checkups.
- Spaying or neutering.
- Dental cleanings or care not accident-related.
- Prescription food.
Alternatives to Figo pet insurance
See how Figo fares against other companies’ benefits and features, so that you find the right policy for your furry friend.