ExxonMobil™ Smart Card review
Earn an estimated 3.6% to 4% rewards rate on gas.
- Get this card if you’re a frequent customer at Exxon or Mobil gas stations.
- Pick something else if you don’t buy gas much at Exxon or Mobil, or you want a card you can use widely.
- Consider applying with a credit score of at least 620 or higher.
Up to 6
Cents off a gallon
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||ExxonMobil™ Smart Card|
|Purchase APR||26.49% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Cash advance rate||29.95% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $40|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
You can combine these rebates with those you’ll earn by joining the Exxon Mobil Rewards+ program and paying through the app. You’ll earn an extra 3 cents off per gallon on non-premium fuel or an extra 6 cents off per gallon for Supreme+ fuel.
We estimate these savings add up to a 3.6% to 4% average rewards rate depending on the grade of fuel you buy. These are great rates on gas, and they make the ExxonMobil™ Smart Card a strong choice as long as you’re willing to join the Rewards+ program. Without this loyalty program, you’ll find a 2% to 2.4% average rewards rate — solid, but far eclipsed by what you’ll earn with products like the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card.
The ExxonMobil™ Smart Card has a very high purchase APR: 26.49% variable, which is typical for a gas-station credit card. This makes it especially important to pay off your balance in full each month, or you’ll find the interest will sweep away your rebates.
Where you can use this card — and alternatives to consider
This is a closed-loop card, meaning it’s valid only within the ExxonMobil network of stations and convenience stores. If you want a gas-station credit card you can use widely, consider competitors like the Shell Fuel Rewards® Mastercard® and Chevron and/or Texaco Techron Advantage Visa® Card.
These products have the added advantage of even higher fuel rebates if you spend on eligible nonfuel purchases. This means they can quickly become more valuable than the ExxonMobil™ Smart Card.
Choose between two signup bonuses
You’ll get a choice of signup bonuses depending on how you apply for the card:
- If you apply through the Citi website, you’ll get 12 cents off per gallon of fuel for the first two months after account opening, then 6 cents off per gallon.
- If you apply through the Exxon Mobil Rewards+ app, you’ll get 50 cents off per gallon of fuel for the first month after account opening, then 6 cents off per gallon.
While the second option will most likely get you the highest rewards rate, the first option might offer more savings overall because it extends through the second month. For example, you might fill up once during the first month but several times during the next.
Extra rewards through Exxon Mobil Rewards+
With Exxon Mobil Rewards+, you can earn additional rewards on fuel and other purchases:
- If you’re a Premium Status member, earn double points on each gallon on Synergy Supreme+ fuel.
- If you’re not a Premium Status member, earn an extra three points per gallon on all fuel and 2x points on convenience store and car wash purchases.
You’ll earn these rewards on top of what you earn with your ExxonMobil™ Smart Card.
How do I become a Premium Status member?
To become a Premium Status member in Exxon Mobil Rewards+, purchase at least eight gallons of Synergy Supreme+ fuel three times in a calendar month.
Once you earn Premium Status, you’ll have it for the following three full months. After that, it’ll expire unless you qualify again.
How to apply for the ExxonMobil™ Smart Card
- Visit the Citibank website.
- Click the Not a cardholder? Apply now button.
- Complete the application with details like your name, contact information, financial information and Social Security number.
- Review your information and submit your application.
What credit score do I need?
For gas-station credit cards, many consumers find better odds of approval with credit scores of 620 and above. Providers may be willing to approve applicants with scores as low as 600. If your credit score is lower than that, approval is still possible — but much more difficult.
Compare credit cards with gas rewards
The ExxonMobil™ Smart Card offers strong rewards if you’re willing to sign up for the Rewards+ program and pay through the app. If you’re not — or you don’t often buy gas at Exxon or Mobil stations — try one of several gas cards with excellent rewards.