Douugh banking review
Manage your money with this new banking app, but it’s missing many key features.Douugh is a digital bank account that’s AI-powered to help you manage your money. It’s a checking and budgeting combo that lets you automate your finances and live within your budget. But the app recently launched in the US in November 2020, so it currently lacks several standard features that you’re likely to miss.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a personal finance writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Blinkist, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael graduated from Rowan University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. When he’s not writing, you can usually find him watching movies, enjoying the outdoors or boarding planes to distant destinations.
The new Douugh app leverages artificial intelligence to help you create healthier spending habits and achieve your financial goals. As a checking and budgeting combo, you can automate your savings and categorize them into separate jars.
But unlike most digital banks, you won’t earn any interest on the savings you set aside. And the app is currently also lacking in features — no tap-to-pay card function and no way to deposit cash or checks.
How do I open a Douugh account?
Getting started with the new Douugh app only takes a few minutes, but you need an iPhone or other Apple device to open an account.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Douugh website, select Get the app to send a link to your phone.
- Launch the app and select Join us.
- Enter your email address and select Next.
- Create a password and select Next. Then confirm your password by retyping it and select Next.
- Enter your full name and select Next.
- Enter your mobile number. Then select Next. Enter the six-digit verification code you receive.
- Continue throughout the process and fill out your personal information and link to a funding source.
- Enter your mailing address to receive your Mastercard.
When will I receive my Douugh Mastercard?
Your card should arrive in 7 to 10 business days, after which you can activate it and begin using your Douugh account.
To open a Douugh account, you need to meet the following criteria:
- US citizen and resident
- At least 18 years old
- Valid US postal address
Have the following information ready when opening a Douugh account:
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or government-issued ID
What are the benefits of a Douugh account?
The Douugh app offers these perks:
- AI-powered assistant. Similar to some budgeting apps, this account works with an AI-powered assistant that provides useful recommendations and analyzes your spending habits so that you’re on track to meet your financial goals.
- Savings jars. The app lets you set spending targets to keep your budget on track and create savings jars to set aside money for bills, emergencies and important goals.
- All-in-one view. You can connect your existing credit cards and checking, savings and investment accounts so you can monitor all your finances in one app.
Douugh‘s ATM network and fees
Use your Douugh card to withdraw cash for free at more than 38,000 ATMs in the MoneyPass ATM network. ATM withdrawals are limited to $250 per transaction and $500 a day. If you use an international ATM, you’ll pay a $3 fee in addition to any ATM owner fees.
What should I look out for?
There are a few downsides to keep in mind before switching to Douugh:
- iOS only. The Douugh app is currently only available on Apple devices, but Android support is in the works for 2021.
- No cash or check deposits. There’s currently no way to deposit cash or checks in a Douugh account, but the company plans to support both of those functions in the future.
- No tap-to-pay functionality. Unlike most Mastercards, the Douugh Mastercard isn’t contactless, so there’s no tap-to-pay functionality.
- Might become a subscription service. It doesn’t cost anything to open a Douugh account now, but the company plans to turn it into a monthly subscription service.
- No APY. Although you can create jars for your savings, you won’t earn any interest on the money you set aside.
If you want a digital bank account that earns interest and offers cash and check deposits, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, explore your options when considering a digital bank account.
Compare Douugh with other digital banks
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are a few ways to move money into and out of your Douugh account:
- Automated clearinghouse (ACH) transfers
- Wire transfers
- Direct deposits
- Transfers via Venmo
- ATM withdrawals