Douugh banking review
Manage your money with this AI-powered banking app, but it’s missing key features.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
★★★★★Douugh is an AI-powered bank account designed to help you manage your money. It’s a checking, saving and budgeting combo that lets you automate your finances and live within your means. But it lacks a few features that come standard with other accounts.
$4.99 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
Expert reviewDouugh leverages artificial intelligence to help you create healthier spending habits and achieve your financial goals. It’s an all-in-one spending, saving and investing account you can use to automatically set aside money for bills, short-term expenses and long-term savings goals. Douugh‘s strongest features include its autopilot tool and investment options.
But you’ll have to pay $4.99 a month to use Douugh. And while you’re encouraged to save money, you won’t earn any interest on uninvested funds. If you want money in your Douugh account to grow, you’ll need to invest it in ETFs.
If you’re looking for an account that meets all three key features — spend, save and invest — look at accounts like Aspiration Spend & Save Account. It offers spending, saving and investing while it earns up to 5% APY on your uninvested funds. But you’ll need to meet strict account requirements, including spending $1,000 in debit card purchases, to earn the max APY.
There are other digital accounts like Albert Cash that offer a way to spend, save and invest while earning interest, but it only earns a 0.2% annual bonus and you’ll pay $4 a month, which is comparable to Douugh‘s monthly fee.
If you’d rather invest in ETFs than also earn an APY, Douugh is a solid option when it comes to all-in-one accounts. But if you prefer the predictability and peace of mind that comes with compound interest, consider a cash management account that accrues a competitive APY.
Disclaimer: This page is not financial advice or an endorsement of digital assets, providers or services. Digital assets are volatile and risky, and past performance is no guarantee of future results. Potential regulations or policies can affect their availability and services provided. Talk with a financial professional before making a decision. Finder or the author may own cryptocurrency discussed on this page.
How do I open a Douugh account?
Getting started with the Douugh app only takes a few minutes.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Douugh website, select Get the app to send a link to your phone.
- Launch the app and select Join us.
- Enter your email address and select Next.
- Create a password and select Next. Then confirm your password by retyping it and select Next.
- Enter your full name and select Next.
- Enter your mobile number. Then select Next. Enter the six-digit verification code you receive.
- Continue throughout the process and fill out your personal information and link to a funding source.
- Enter your mailing address to receive your Mastercard.
When will I receive my Douugh Mastercard?
Your card should arrive in seven to 10 business days, after which you can activate it and begin using your Douugh account.
To open a Douugh account, you need to meet the following criteria:
- US citizen and resident
- At least 18 years old
- Valid US postal address
Have the following information ready when opening a Douugh account:
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or government-issued ID
4 benefits of a Douugh account
The Douugh app offers these perks:
- Savings goals. The app lets you create short-term savings jars to set aside money for bills, emergencies and important goals.
- Investment option. Optionally invest funds from your account into diversified portfolios managed by experts.
- Automated finances. Douugh uses algorithms to distribute your paycheck into jars for bills, savings and spending.
- Finance monitoring. Connect your existing credit cards and bank accounts to monitor your overall financial picture in the Pulse section of the app.
Douugh‘s ATM network and fees
Use your Douugh card to withdraw cash for free at more than 32,000 ATMs in the MoneyPass ATM network. ATM withdrawals are limited to $250 per transaction and $500 a day. If you use an international ATM, you’ll pay a $3 fee in addition to any fees charged by the owner of the ATM.
3 potential drawbacks to look out for
There are a few downsides to keep in mind before switching to Douugh:
- Monthly fee. Douugh was free when it launched, but there’s now a $4.99 monthly fee.
- No cash or check deposits. There’s currently no way to deposit cash or checks in a Douugh account, but the company plans to support both of those functions in the future.
- No APY. Although you can create jars for your savings, you won’t earn any interest on the money you set aside.
If you want a digital bank account that earns interest and offers cash and check deposits, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, explore your options when considering a digital bank account.
Compare Douugh with other digital banks
See how other digital bank accounts compare based on their fees, ATM networks and minimum opening deposits.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Is Douugh safe?
Yes, Douugh is legit. Douugh accounts are FDIC insured for up to $250,000. Investments with Douugh are protected for up to $500,000 through the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC). Douugh also uses multi-factor authentication and AI-powered fraud detection to protect your account.
Douugh app reviews and complaintsDouugh isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and it has no reviews on the BBB’s website. But it has three reviews on Trustpilot. Two of the reviews give Douugh five stars, citing the app’s money management tools. The other reviewer only gave Douugh one star due to an issue with a transfer via Cash App.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are a few ways to move money into and out of your Douugh account:
- Automated clearinghouse (ACH) transfers
- Wire transfers
- Direct deposits
- Transfers via Venmo
- ATM withdrawals
- Apple Wallet, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, PayPal and Venmo
How to contact Douugh
If you have questions or need help with your Douugh account, you can contact a specialist in the following ways.
- Email email@example.com
- Address a letter to 170 East Main Street, Suite 1278, Patchogue, NY 11772.
- Douugh has a presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.