Barclaycard credit cards offer generous points structures — including cards with no annual fees, frequent flyer rewards, balance transfer promotions and low interest rates.
Barclays Bank, the parent company of Barclaycard, has a storied pedigree with origins in 1690 London. The UK’s first credit card, Barclaycard was created in 1966. Backed by a rock-solid financial institution and energized by partnerships with global entertainment brands, Barclaycard offers reliable credit and generous rewards to all cardholders.
Barclaycard is a strong contender if you want to be rewarded consistently for your spending. You’ll find cards that offer rewards for world-class brands like Carnival, Apple, JetBlue and the NFL. These cards also offer top-notch points structures, balance transfer promotions and low or no annual fees.
Take a look at the credit cards Barclaycard offers to find one that suits you best.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard
Spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days, and earn 50,000 bonus miles — enough to redeem for a $500 travel statement credit.
- Get 5% miles back
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- Miles don't expire
- Find the best travel deals
- Redeem your miles for travel statement credits
- No foreign transaction fees
Barclays, the distributor of the Barclaycard, has received numerous awards, which include:
- HealthInvestor’s 2016 Bank of the Year
- Euromoney’s 2015 Best Global Debt Capital Markets House Award of Excellence
- Global Trade Review’s 2015 Best Trade Finance Bank in the U.K.
Types of Barclaycard credit cards
As with many banks, you have multiple Barclaycard credit cards to choose from. Research its many cards before deciding on the one you’d like to apply for.
For each card, consider the interest rate for purchases, cash advances and balance transfers. Next, consider the perks each card offers.
Barclaycard partners with global entertainment brands to offer generous rewards cards — whether you love football, going on cruises or staying in hotels.
- Balance transfer credit cards. All Barclaycard credit cards offer balance transfers. If this is an important feature to you, look closely at cards that offer a 0% intro APR for balance transfers. With many Barclaycard cards, you’ll enjoy interest-free balance transfers made within 45 days of opening your account. Keep in mind the fees you’ll pay when initiating a balance transfer — which for Barclaycard is typically $5 or 3% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater. To initiate a balance transfer, gather your current credit card details. After Barclaycard approves your application, it typically processes your balance transfer on the 10th day after mailing your card. Until that time, continue to pay your debts as usual.
- Low-rate credit cards. The interest rates for most Barclaycard credit cards vary based on your credit. Rates generally starts at 15% to 16% but can reach 20% to 25%. For a card with a relatively low APR, consider the JetBlue Card with a low 12.24% interest rate. If you anticipate making many purchases shortly after opening your account, consider the RCI Elite Rewards Mastercard, which offers 0% APR for the first six billing cycles.
- Low-fee credit cards. Many Barclaycard credit cards have no annual fees. Others — like the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard, Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard and Miles & More World Elite Mastercard — come with annual fees of under $100. The Barclaycard suite is typically uniform on transaction fees: the greater of $5 or 3% of the transaction amount for balance transfers; the greater of $10 or 5% of the transaction amount for cash advances, and 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars for foreign transactions. For a card with no foreign transaction or annual fees, take a look at the Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card.
- Rewards credit cards. If you’re looking for rewards, all cards in the Barclaycard suite come with rewards based on your spending. Many offer introductory points bonuses when you hit initial spending targets; after, you’ll continue to earn points on everyday purchases. If you’re a frequent traveler, Barclaycard partners with companies like Carnival, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue and Wyndham. Various travel rewards cards offer exclusive discounts and coupons you can use while exploring the world. And if you enjoy Apple products or the NFL, Barclaycard has high-quality offerings for you as well.
- Frequent flyer credit cards. Barclaycard’s frequent flyer credit cards are a good choice if you fly often with specific airlines. Take a look at the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard, Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard, JetBlue Card and Lufthansa Miles & More World Elite Mastercard. With each card, you’ll earn more points for purchases from the specified airline and get perks like lounge access, discounts on tickets and preferred seating. Unlike other frequent flyer cards that charge high annual fees, Barclaycard frequent flyer cards typically come with annual fees of under $100.
- Cruise rewards credit cards. Barclaycard offers three cards for cruise lines: the Carnival World Mastercard, Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card, and Princess Cruises Rewards Visa Card. Each card comes with $0 annual fees as well as an APR of around 15% if you qualify. As with Barclaycard’s frequent flyer credit cards, you’ll receive more points when you use your card with the respective cruise lines.
- Hotel rewards credit cards. Barclaycard’s hotel rewards credit cards are a ideal way to rack up points if you find yourself staying at the same venue throughout your travels. Your options in this category are the Choice Privileges Visa Signature Card, Diamond Resorts International Mastercard, RCI Elite Rewards Mastercard and Wyndham Rewards Visa Card. Each card in this category comes with $0 annual fees, and you’ll receive more points when you use your card at the respective hotel chains.
- Other rewards credit cards. Looking for a general rewards card? Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard gives you 50,000 bonus miles if you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days, as well as double miles on everything you purchase. Barclay Rewards Mastercard gives you double points on groceries, utilities and gas purchases. Other general rewards cards include the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards, which offers generous financing and points rewards for Apple products; the NFL Extra Points card for fans who love spending on football-related purchases; and the Priceline Rewards Visa Card, a multipurpose travel card that gives you 5x points on Priceline.com purchases.
The benefits of banking with Barclaycard
- Cards from top-tier partners. Barclaycard works with global leaders in various industries to create attractive rewards cards. The company has worked with partners like L.L.Bean, the NFL, Carnival and JetBlue.
- Free access to financial tools. All Barclaycard members can view their FICO credit scores for free, receive educational material on financial security and use Barclaycard’s tools to manage spending.
- $0 fraud liability protection. Barclaycard’s $0 fraud liability protection absolves you of responsibility for unauthorized purchases made with your card.
- Mastercard and Visa. Barclaycard offers a range of cards accepted widely around the world. Not only can you receive rewards from Barclaycard’s partnerships you can also enjoy benefits from Mastercard and Visa, such as concierge services and travel benefits.
How to apply for a Barclaycard credit card
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
To apply for a Barclaycard credit card, click “Go to Site” next to any of the cards listed on this page. As with most credit cards, there are eligibility requirements. You may need to meet a minimum level of income depending on which card you wish to apply for. Because many Barclaycard credit cards offer generous rewards, you may need good to excellent credit to qualify.
Information you’ll need for your Barclaycard credit card application
When applying for a Barclaycard credit card, you’ll need:
- Your driver’s license and Social Security number.
- Your personal contact information, such as your residential address, phone number and email address.
- Your financial details, including employment information and total annual income.
Barclaycard credit cards are not available to residents of Iowa.
Frequently asked questions
How do I get the initial bonus points for my Barclaycard credit card?
Many Barclaycard credit cards offer bonus points if you hit a spending target within a specified time of opening your account. For some cards, you simply need to make a purchase with your card to unlock the points; for others, you’ll need to spend a certain dollar amount. Read your card’s terms and conditions for specific details. Remember that most cards require you to hit your spending target within a certain time period — for example, within 45 days.
Will I know for sure what my card’s APR will be before I apply?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to know what APR you’ll receive until your application is approved. The best you can do is find the range of rates you might receive. For example, with the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards, you’ll have an APR of 14.24%, 20.24% or 27.24%. Of course, the better your credit, the better your chances of receiving a favorable interest rate.
What are the charges if I make an overseas transaction?
Many Barclaycard credit cards come with foreign transaction fees, so consider those fees before applying for a card or using your card overseas. Typically, the Barclaycard foreign transaction fee is 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars. Some cards, like the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard and the Carnival World Mastercard, offer no foreign transaction fees.
What is my Barclaycard credit card monthly statement?
Each month, you’ll receive a summary of the transactions you’ve made with your card. You’ll see purchases you’ve made and whether you’ve accrued rewards or points with your card. By default, you’ll get your statements via mail, but you can sign up for paperless online statements.
What should I know about my Barclaycard credit card’s interest charges?
As with all credit cards, it’s a good idea to pay off your balance in full each month to avoid accruing interest. With Barclaycard, you may not be charged interest if you pay off your balance by your monthly due date. If you are charged interest, you’ll be assessed at least $0.50.
What are Barclaycard’s late fees?
When paying late, you’ll typically pay a fee of up to $37. To avoid late fees, sign up for automatic online payments at the Barclaycard website.
Does Barclaycard require a minimum credit score to apply?
Many Barclaycard cards come with generous rewards — and rewards cards typically require higher credit scores. You typically need a fair to excellent credit score (620 or higher) to qualify.
How does Barclaycard protect me from fraud?
Barclaycard features SecurPass, a verification method to confirm your identity whenever your account is accessed. You’ll also receive fraud text alerts when there is suspicious activity on your card. Barclaycard also offers $0 fraud liability protection, which means you are not responsible for unauthorized purchases made with your card.
Does Barclaycard offer a mobile app?
Yes, Barclaycard offers a free mobile app. Use it to access your account, track your spending, see your current balance, pay bills and even transfer balances.