We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
BBVA Compass credit cards
This regional bank’s tiered rewards cards are standout products.
BBVA Compass may not be a well-known card provider, but the bank offers a selection of impressive products. It’s an especially good choice for a range of reward cards that offer account credit.
Best of BBVA Compass credit cards
BBVA Compass currently offers four credit cards that range from the simple to powerful. One is a flat-rate rewards card. Two are tiered rewards cards, which can be helpful if you spend more heavily in a few categories. Finally, you’ll find a secured card that can be useful if you have fair to no credit.
BBVA Rewards Card
The BBVA Rewards Card stands out among the competition if you qualify for the rewards rate. It’s a good choice if don’t want to keep track of tiered rewards.
Earn unlimited 2% rewards on all purchases with a monthly deposit to a BBVA Compass savings account.
- Annual fee: None.
Use your card and earn rewards over the long term with no initial fee.
- Intro APR: 0% for 13 months on balance transfers made within the first 60 days your account is open.
After that, your APR reverts to a variable 12.99% to 30.99%. This is a solid balance transfer intro APR.
- Rewards: Flat rewards on every purchase.
After qualifying direct deposits into your BBVA Compass deposit account, you’ll earn 2% rewards on all purchases. Without the qualifying deposits, you’ll earn 1.5% rewards on all purchases.
BBVA Select℠ Credit Card
Of all BBVA Compass rewards cards, this one’s a powerhouse. Its best benefit is Build Your Own Rewards, which lets you choose the categories in which you’ll earn accelerated points. If you spend heavily in these categories, you could easily offset the card’s annual fee.
- Annual fee: Waived for the first year, then $125.
Earn rewards toward the signup bonus without paying an annual fee for the first year, afterwards, the annual fee is $125.
- BBVA Compass Build Your Own Rewards.
Choose one category to earn 3x points on your spending. Choose two categories to earn 2x points. On everything else, you’ll earn 1x points. You can change these categories every 90 days.
If you don’t select your bonus categories, they will default to 3x points on groceries and 2x points on gas and travel.
- Points boost.
Each month you use your card to make $5,000 or more in qualifying purchases, you’ll earn 1,000 bonus points.
- $100 account credit.
To earn it, spend $2,000 in qualifying purchases within the first 90 days your account is open.
- Narrow APR range.
Your purchase and balance transfer APRs will fall within a variable range of 14.99% to 18.99%. That’s right around the average credit card APR.
BBVA ClearPoints Card
Go with the BBVA ClearPoints Card if you want the flexibility of choosing your accelerated-reward categories but don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Annual fee: None.
Because you won’t have to pay to activate the card, your rewards are all upside.
- Intro APR: 0% for 13 months following your account opening on purchases and balance transfers.
After the intro, your APR reverts to a variable 12.99% to 30.99%. This is a decent intro APR, especially as it applies to purchases and balance transfers. Only transfers you make within the first of card membership qualify for the special rate.
- Rewards: BBVA Compass Build Your Own Rewards.
Choose one category to earn 3x points in. Choose another category to earn 2x points in. On everything else or if you don’t activate your rewards each quarter, you’ll earn 1x points.
BBVA Optimizer Credit Card
You’ll pay a relatively high annual fee of $40. However, The BBVA Optimizer Credit Card offers a purchase and balance transfer APR that’s lower than most of its competitors. And your security deposit earns interest while you build toward stronger credit.
- Earn interest on your security deposit.
This secured card requires an initial deposit into a savings account, which then acts as your credit line. But unlike other similar cards, your deposit generates interest.
- Relatively low APR.
Many secured cards come with purchase and balance transfer APRs around 24% variable, which is a high rate. The BBVA Optimizer Credit Card has a purchase and balance transfer APR of 23.99% variable. That’s still slightly higher than the average credit card APR, but it’s lower than what many competitors offer.
How to apply for a BBVA Compass card
- Go to the BBVA Compass website and navigate to the appropriate card page.
- When you’re ready to apply, request a call from BBVA Compass by entering your contact information. Or find a local BBVA Compass location to apply in person.
- Gather the required application information, including your personal and financial details.
- Wait for a BBVA Compass representative to call you or visit your local branch.
How does BBVA Compass keep my credit card information secure?
- Banking alerts. If you sign up for alerts, BBVA Compass notifies you online or by text when it spots suspicious transactions on your account.
- Data encryption. The bank encrypts all data transmitted over its site so that it can’t be read by unauthorized third parties.
- Dedicated fraud reporting. Call 1-800-266-7277 to report fraudulent activity on your account. If you see phishing emails that appear to be from BBVA Compass, call 1-800-273-1057.
- Learning center for account security. A section on the site offers tips on general fraud prevention, email security, mobile phone security and more.
Consider a top card from another brand
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardRead more
Compare BBVA Compass credit cards
Full list of BBVA Compass credit cards
BBVA Compass rewards program
BBVA Compass offers points for its reward cards that you can redeem for account credit. It may also offer account credit directly. You may not be able to boost your redemption, like with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. But your points are flexible, because they can help you cover a variety of expenses.
How do I redeem points?
To redeem rewards, log in to your credit card account on the BBVA Compass website. You can check your rewards balance and redeem points.
How much are points worth?
Points are worth 1% in account credit, which is a standard rate in the industry. If you have 10,000 points, they’re worth $100 in account credit.
Typical card features and benefits of a BBVA Compass card
- No or waived annual fees. It can be easy to start with a BBVA Compass card without an initial fee. Though the more comprehensive card in the suite requires an annual fee starting the second year.
- Flat or tiered rewards. Choose how you’d like to receive your rewards.
- Limited availability. You must live in an eligible state to apply for a BBVA Compass credit card.
- Online banking. Register for an online account to monitor your spending, pay your bills and redeem points.
Hands down, BBVA Compass’s best products are its tiered reward cards. Relatively few cards let you choose how to accelerate your rewards, helping you to earn big if you spend heavily in select categories. There’s also no cap on rewards you can earn.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert