Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best BBVA Compass credit cards
This regional bank’s tiered rewards cards are standout products.
Updated . What changed?
BBVA Compass may not be a well-known card provider, but the bank offers a selection of impressive products. It’s an especially good choice for a range of rewards cards that offer account credit.
What are the best BBVA cards?
BBVA Compass currently offers four credit cards. One is a flat-rate rewards card. Two are tiered rewards cards, which can be helpful if you spend more heavily in a few categories. The fourth is a secured card. which can be useful if you have fair to no credit.
Best for flat rate rewards
BBVA Rewards Card
Min. credit score
Earn unlimited 2 rewards on all purchases with a monthly deposit to a BBVA Compass savings account.
- Annual fee: None. Use your card and earn rewards over the long term with no initial fee.
- Intro APR: 0% for 13 months on balance transfers made within the first 60 days your account is open. After that, your APR reverts to a variable 11.24% to 29.24%. This is a solid balance transfer intro APR.
- Rewards: Flat rewards on every purchase. After qualifying direct deposits into your BBVA Compass deposit account, you'll earn 2% rewards on all purchases. Without the qualifying deposits, you'll earn 1.5% rewards on all purchases.
|Purchase APR||11.24% to 29.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 13 months (then 11.24% to 29.24% variable)|
|Welcome offer||Earn a $100 in account credits when you open a new BBVA Rewards Card between 05/01/2020-05/31/2020, and make $1,500 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.|
|Rewards||2% on all purchases with $1,000 monthly direct deposits to a BBVA Compass account (1.5% otherwise)|
Best for flexible rewards
BBVA Select℠ Credit Card
Min. credit score
Points welcome offer
- Annual fee: Waived for the first year, then $99. Earn rewards toward the signup bonus without paying an annual fee for the first year, afterwards, the annual fee is $99.
- BBVA Compass Build Your Own Rewards. Choose one category to earn 3x points on your spending. Choose two categories to earn 2x points. On everything else, you'll earn 1x points. You can change these categories every 90 days.If you don't select your bonus categories, they will default to 3x points on groceries and 2x points on gas and travel.
- Points boost. Each month you use your card to make $5,000 or more in qualifying purchases, you'll earn 1,000 bonus points.
- $100 account credit. To earn it, spend $4,000 in qualifying purchases within the first 90 days your account is open.
- Narrow APR range. Your purchase and balance transfer APRs will fall within a variable range of 13.24% to 17.24%. That's right around the average credit card APR.
|Annual Fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($99 thereafter)|
|Purchase APR||13.24% to 17.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||13.24% to 17.24% variable|
|Welcome offer||50,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3x in one category and 2x points in another chosen category each activated quarter and 1x points on all other purchases.|
Best for no annual fee
BBVA ClearPoints Card
Min. credit score
- Annual fee: None. Because you won't have to pay to activate the card, your rewards are all upside.
- Intro APR: 0% for 13 months following your account opening on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro, your APR reverts to a variable 11.24% to 29.24%. This is a decent intro APR, especially as it applies to purchases and balance transfers. Only transfers you make within the first of card membership qualify for the special rate.
- Rewards: BBVA Compass Build Your Own Rewards. Choose one category to earn 3x points in. Choose another category to earn 2x points in. On everything else or if you don't activate your rewards each quarter, you'll earn 1x points.
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 13 months (then 11.24% to 29.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 60 days (then 11.24% to 29.24% variable)|
|Welcome offer||$100 account credit when you make $1,500 in purchases1 in the first 90 days of account opening|
|Rewards||2x in one category and 3x points in another chosen category each activated quarter and 1x points on all other purchases.|
Best for building credit
BBVA Optimizer Credit Card
Min. credit score
- Earn interest on your security deposit. This secured card requires an initial deposit into a savings account, which then acts as your credit line. But unlike other similar cards, your deposit generates interest.
- Relatively low APR. Many secured cards come with purchase and balance transfer APRs around 24% variable, which is a high rate. The BBVA Optimizer Credit Card has a purchase and balance transfer APR of 22.24% variable. That's still slightly higher than the average credit card APR, but it's lower than what many competitors offer.
|Purchase APR||22.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||22.24% variable|
How we selected our best cards
We compared every credit card offered by BBVA Compass and highlighted their best features. Three of the cards offer rewards, but each rewards structure is better suited to specific consumers. The BBVA Optimizer Credit Card was the only secured card from the bank.
What's in this guide?
- What are the best BBVA cards?
- Compare BBVA Compass credit cards
- How to apply for a BBVA Compass card
- Types of BBVA Compass credit cards
- What are typical card features and benefits of a BBVA Compass card?
- BBVA Compass rewards program
- Full list of BBVA Compass credit cards
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Compare BBVA Compass credit cards
How to apply for a BBVA Compass card
You can apply for a BBVA Compass credit card online by doing the following. Note that BBVA requires an invitation code to apply.
- Go to the BBVA Compass website. At the top menu bar, click on Credit cards.
- Peruse the credit card you want to apply for and click Get started.
- You’ll need to enter your reservation code to begin. Type in your code and select how you received it and then click Submit.
- If you don’t have a reservation code, call BBVA Compass directly at: 844-BBV-AUSA. Or find a local BBVA Compass location to apply in person.
- Gather the required application information, including your personal and financial details. You’ll need to fill out the application using this information.
To apply online, you’ll need to receive an invite from BBVA Compass. You’ll typically receive one of these through email or physical mail. If you don’t have one of these invitations and still want to apply, you’ll need to call or visit a local branch.
Types of BBVA Compass credit cards
With only four cards to choose from, your BBVA credit card options will prove more limited than other banks. Here are the two types of cards offered by BBVA Compass:
Three of the four BBVA Compass credit cards offer rewards. The main difference between them is their earning categories.
- Rewards. Among BBVA reward cards, two offer rewards on categories while one offers a flat-rate rewards opportunity.
- No annual fee. Only the premium BBVA reward card offering requires an annual fee. The other two require no annual fee.
- Signup bonus. All three cards offer some form of welcome offer for meeting the spend requirements
BBVA reward credit cards
- BBVA Rewards Card
- BBVA ClearPoints Card
- BBVA Select℠ Credit Card
The BBVA Optimizer Credit Card is BBVA’s sole credit-building option. It doesn’t offer rewards, but it does offer a reasonable APR for a secured card along with the ability to increase your credit limit with further deposits.
- BBVA Optimizer Credit Card
What are typical card features and benefits of a BBVA Compass card?
- No or waived annual fees. It can be easy to start with a BBVA Compass card without an initial fee. Though the more comprehensive card in the suite requires an annual fee starting the second year.
- Flat or tiered rewards. Choose how you’d like to receive your rewards.
- Going green. By the end of 2021, all of BBVA’s credit cards will be made from eco-friendly material.
- Limited availability. You must live in an eligible state to apply for a BBVA Compass credit card.
- Online banking. Register for an online account to monitor your spending, pay your bills and redeem points.
BBVA Compass rewards program
BBVA Compass offers points for its reward cards that you can redeem for account credit. It may also offer account credit directly. You may not be able to boost your redemption, like with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. But your points are flexible, because they can help you cover a variety of expenses.
How do I redeem points?
To redeem rewards, log in to your credit card account on the BBVA Compass website. You can check your rewards balance and redeem points.
How much are points worth?
Points are worth 1% in account credit, which is a standard rate in the industry. If you have 10,000 points, they’re worth $100 in account credit.
How does BBVA Compass keep my credit card information secure?
- Banking alerts. If you sign up for alerts, BBVA Compass notifies you online or by text when it spots suspicious transactions on your account.
- Data encryption. The bank encrypts all data transmitted over its site so that it can’t be read by unauthorized third parties.
- Dedicated fraud reporting. Call 1-800-266-7277 to report fraudulent activity on your account. If you see phishing emails that appear to be from BBVA Compass, call 1-800-273-1057.
- Learning center for account security. A section on the site offers tips on general fraud prevention, email security, mobile phone security and more.
Full list of BBVA Compass credit cards
Hands down, BBVA Compass’s best products are its tiered reward cards. Relatively few cards let you choose how to accelerate your rewards, helping you to earn big if you spend heavily in select categories. There’s also no cap on rewards you can earn. If you’re looking for a rewards card with more expansive reward opportunities, however, check out other available credit card options.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
BP Visa Credit Card review
Get up to 10 cents off on your BP and Amoco station gas purchases.
Petal® 1 "No Annual Fee" Visa® Credit Card vs. Petal® 2 "Cash Back, No Fees" Visa® Credit Card
Two great cards for building your credit score.
Sephora Credit Card review
Sephora regulars get to earn rewards on their purchases.
Help your child learn to spend and save wisely with a virtual, COPPA-compliant debit card.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best balance transfer credit cards of 2021
Here are our top balance transfer picks for 2021.
Best business credit cards for 2021
Here are our top picks for 2021.
Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn additional points on Spirit purchases, plus earn points on groceries and dining.
Upgrade Card review
The fee-free Upgrade Card offers 1.5% cash back, but it lacks many standard benefits.
Ask an Expert