This regional bank’s tiered rewards cards are standout products.
BBVA Compass may not be a well-known card provider, but the bank offers a selection of impressive products. It’s an especially good choice for a range of reward cards that offer account credit.
Best BBVA Compass credit cards
BBVA Compass currently offers four credit cards that range from the simple to powerful. One is a flat-rate rewards card. Two are tiered rewards cards, which can be helpful if you spend more heavily in a few categories. Finally, you’ll find a secured card that can be useful if you have fair to no credit.
Jump to …
Best for flat-rate rewards: BBVA Compass Rewards Card
BBVA Compass Rewards Card
Earn unlimited % rewards on all purchases with a monthly direct deposit to a BBVA Compass deposit account.
Earn unlimited 2% rewards on all purchases with a monthly deposit to a BBVA Compass savings account.
Best for flexible reward categories: BBVA Compass Select℠ Credit Card
BBVA Compass Select℠ Credit Card
Premium credit card with custom rewards to fit your lifestyle. The Select Credit Card is for you if you want to be in control of how you earn and multiply your rewards.
Best for flexible reward categories with no annual fee: ClearPoints Credit Card
ClearPoints Credit Card
CompassPoints® Rewards Program, introductory purchase and balance transfer APRs and no annual fee.
Best for fair or no credit: Optimizer Credit Card
Optimizer Credit Card
The Optimizer Credit Card is a secured credit card, which means your credit line is backed, or secured, by a collateral savings account.
BBVA Compass rewards program
BBVA Compass offers points for its reward cards that you can redeem for account credit. It may also offer account credit directly. You may not be able to boost your redemption, like with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. But your points are flexible, because they can help you cover a variety of expenses.
How do I redeem points?
To redeem rewards, log in to your credit card account on the BBVA Compass website. You can check your rewards balance and redeem points.
How much are points worth?
Points are worth 1% in account credit, which is a standard rate in the industry. If you have 10,000 points, they’re worth $100 in account credit.
Typical card features and benefits of a BBVA Compass card
- No or waived annual fees. It can be easy to start with a BBVA Compass card without an initial fee. Though the more comprehensive card in the suite requires an annual fee starting the second year.
- Flat or tiered rewards. Choose how you’d like to receive your rewards.
- Limited availability. You must live in an eligible state to apply for a BBVA Compass credit card.
- Online banking. Register for an online account to monitor your spending, pay your bills and redeem points.
Compare top credit cards
How to apply for a BBVA Compass card
- Go to the BBVA Compass website and navigate to the appropriate card page.
- When you’re ready to apply, request a call from BBVA Compass by entering your contact information. Or find a local BBVA Compass location to apply in person.
- Gather the required application information, including your personal and financial details.
- Wait for a BBVA Compass representative to call you or visit your local branch.
How does BBVA Compass keep my credit card information secure?
- Banking alerts. If you sign up for alerts, BBVA Compass notifies you online or by text when it spots suspicious transactions on your account.
- Data encryption. The bank encrypts all data transmitted over its site so that it can’t be read by unauthorized third parties.
- Dedicated fraud reporting. Call 1-800-266-7277 to report fraudulent activity on your account. If you see phishing emails that appear to be from BBVA Compass, call 1-800-273-1057.
- Learning center for account security. A section on the site offers tips on general fraud prevention, email security, mobile phone security and more.
Hands down, BBVA Compass’s best products are its tiered reward cards. Relatively few cards let you choose how to accelerate your rewards, helping you to earn big if you spend heavily in select categories. There’s also no cap on rewards you can earn.