What should share traders do during a stock market crash? Read more…
A comprehensive guide on how to navigate the COVID-19 outbreak.
Updated . What changed?
It’s been six months since the World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared COVID-19 a pandemic of global concern. But while the number of new coronavirus cases in America has been on the decline in recent weeks, public health experts warn that a second wave could be coming in the fall and winter months — especially with many children back in the classroom and more businesses newly open to foot traffic.
So what can we do to continue to minimize the spread of the virus while the economy works to reopen? That’s where Finder comes in. We’re committed to publishing comprehensive guides and the latest news updates to help you understand the implications of the virus and make informed choices for both your health and your finances.
If you’re concerned that you may be infected, please seek medical advice from a health professional immediately.
What's in this guide?
- How can I manage and protect my money?
- Where can I get financial help?
- Where can I buy essential supplies online?
- What can I do if I lose my job?
- How can I set up for working from home?
- How does online school work for kids and teens?
- What happens to my home?
- How can I support my business?
- What happens to my travel plans?
- How can I stay healthy?
How can I manage and protect my money?
The coronavirus pandemic has been described as a battle on two fronts: health and the economy. As the government continues to take steps to safely reopen the economy, we can do our part by keeping a close watch on our own finances. Here’s how you can safeguard your money (and potentially grow it) during the crisis.
With the economy challenged, take these steps.
How the stock market is changing.
Guard yourself against these scams.
Essential Finder guides on coronavirus and your finances
Personal financial guides
- Stimulus package details
- Managing finances during coronavirus
- 30+ companies hiring right now
- Investing during coronavirus
- Coronavirus and mortgage rates
- Coronavirus scams
- Emergency credit card options
- Using contactless payments
- Set up your computer to work remotely
- Coronavirus and credit card rewards
- Sending money internationally
- Your credit score and coronavirus
- Where to find a personal loan
- Alternatives to payday loans
- How to defer your loan repayments
- How to put your loan in forbearance
- Managing car repayments during coronavirus
- Tips to avoid fees when using your stimulus payment prepaid debit card
Where can I get financial help?
Need a hand to cope with your bills right now? Here’s how you can get assistance.
Home loans, rent, credit cards, insurance, superannuation, utilities: What’s available and how to get it.
Find out what credit card issuers are offering help with your bills right now.
Here are some ideas for how to best use that cash.
Guides to getting financial help during coronavirus
- Help if you lost your job
- Free Internet and bonus data offers
- Assistance with energy bills
- Home insurance premium forgiveness
- Car insurance premium forgiveness
- Personal financial assistance
- Credit card payment relief
- Student loan relief
- 7 smart ways to use your stimulus check
- Managing medical debt during coronavirus
Where can I buy essential supplies online?
The coronavirus sparked panic buying across the US in the early months of the pandemic, making it difficult to find essential items like toilet paper and flour. With fears of a second wave coming this fall, bookmark these buying guides to ensure you’re able to find what you need.
Keep up to date on the latest face mask news, including state requirements. Plus, find stores that have face masks in stock, as well as tips for making them yourself.
These online retailers can deliver fresh food straight to your door.
The best places to stock up on toilet paper online.
Easily find the top retailers selling everything from home office equipment to household items.
Guides to online shopping during coronavirus
Find essentials online
- What to buy
- Where to buy essentials
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Can I buy an at-home coronavirus test kit?
- N95 face masks
- Cloth face masks
- Disposable face masks
- Face masks for kids
- Buy face masks in bulk
- College-from-home essentials
- Sneeze guards
- Shoe covers
- Hand sanitizer
- Hand soap
- Aloe vera gel
- Hair scissors
- Toilet paper
- Nitrile gloves
- Paper towels
- Disinfectant wipes
- Baby wipes
- Rubbing and isopropyl alcohol
- First aid kits
- Laundry detergent
- Infrared thermometers
- Streaming services
- Free at-home education resources for kids
- Art supplies and paint
- Gifting during coronavirus
- All TV and music streaming free trials
What can I do if I lose my job?
The coronavirus pandemic has led to unemployment rates we haven’t seen since World War II. Fortunately, there are a range of relief mechanisms available to assist out-of-work Americans. These guides can help.
10 steps to handle unemployment or cut hours during the coronavirus pandemic.
30+ places to find a temporary job during COVID-19.
What to do if you need to take time off, are laid off or your work temporarily closes.
How can I set up for working from home?
While some companies have started opening their offices back up again, many are still encouraging employees to work from home if they’re able to do so. And back-to-school season saw many public school districts move to solely online learning for the first few weeks of the school year, if not longer. These guides are designed to help.
Everything you’ll need for maximum productivity.
The expenses allowed and the records you need to keep.
Avoid security pitfalls with these recommendations.
How does online school work for kids and teens?
Making choices about where your children will go to school isn’t easy, especially in the forefront of a constantly changing pandemic. As schools determine the best coronavirus safety measures and the right technology combinations for their buildings and students, we’re here to help you make sense of your options.
6 options for distance learning in the age of the coronavirus.
Alternative education has come a long way in recent years.
Ace the fall semester without leaving the house.
What happens to my home?
What the temporary ban on evictions means for landlords.
Here are the mortgage relief packages offered by lenders.
The home insurance providers letting customers suspend cover due to financial hardship.
How can I support my business?
CDC guidelines and best practices to reopen and keep employees and customers safe.
Keep things running smoothly with this guide.
8 ways to keep your business up and running.
- Finder’s COVID-19 response playbook
- How to reopen your business safely
- Keep your business running
- How to bring your existing business online
- Working from home
- Setting up your business to WFH
- Compare employee monitoring software
- Business credit cards
- Business loans for coronavirus
- Business grants for coronavirus
- Main Street Lending Program
- SBA disaster loans
- 12 steps to apply for the coronavirus disaster loan and grant
- SBA Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
- Step-by-step guide to applying for the PPP
- How to get 100% of your PPP loan forgiven
- Business cash flow help
- Financial assistance for New York State businesses
- Business interruption insurance
- Cybersecurity insurance
- Business loans for faith-based organizations
- 3 lenders share tips on applying for the PPP
- How to calculate your payroll expenses for the PPP
- 8 business owners dish their SBA coronavirus stories
- Coronavirus business loan statistics
- SBA loans for nonprofits
- SBA Debt Relief Program
What happens to my travel plans?
With the summer months behind us, many Americans thought they’d be able to travel with ease come the fall. But with fears of a second surge of cases in the colder months, that’s not the case. These guides will keep you informed about ongoing travel restrictions and their impact on your finances.
If you have a trip booked, or you were hoping to get away soon, what does this mean for your travel plans?
Get the latest info on airfare flexibility.
Get money back on your canceled travel plans.
Travel advisories and policies
- Traveling during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Latest travel advisories
- How to get a travel refund
- Recover miles if you cancel travel
- Airlines: suspended flight routes
- Airlines: updates and restrictions
- Travel insurance and coronavirus
- Travel insurance policy updates
- Cruise lines: suspended service
- Hotel closures
- Car rentals: policy updates and fee waivers
- Rideshare safety measures
- Credit card travel insurance policies
- What’s open and closed in each state
How can I stay healthy?
The WHO updated its official guidance on face mask use on June 5th and now recommends every person wear a face mask in public when physical distancing is difficult — such as on public transportation and in shops or other confined, crowded areas.
You can find more resources to help you stay safe and healthy by reading our guides.
The FDA authorized several at-home tests — find out how they work and where you can buy them.
Everything you need to know about face masks.
What’s happening to costs, and what will change in the future?
- Hotlines and mental health resources
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Protective face shields
- Pulse oximeters
- Coronavirus statistics
- Coronavirus FAQs
Find information on the novel coronavirus and COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, including how it spreads, how to avoid infection, the symptoms to watch out for and how to protect the vulnerable. You will also find expert advice on travel, insurance, health, shopping and employment.
We’ll continue to publish content to help you navigate the outbreak, so be sure to bookmark this page to stay informed. For more information about how Finder is handling the virus, read our official response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Latest coronavirus news
From buying tigers to cancelling car insurance, Finder shares a deep dive into 21 Google search terms that changed with coronavirus at the wheel. Read more…
If you're looking to shop industry-standard KN95 masks, we've rounded up the retailers that will ship them right to your door. Read more…
Compare insurance coverage and treatment options and find a telehealth physical therapist online. Read more…
Look to your county for grants and loans while you wait for another round of federal assistance. Read more…
33+ face masks from your favorite designers, like Off-White, Coach, Steve Madden, A.L.C and more. Plus, see where to get logo masks from Supreme and LV. Read more…
True superfans suit up in NHL-themed masks this season — stock up at these 5 retailers. Plus, see which sites offer free shipping and returns. Read more…
We sat down with OneMain Financial’s chief risk officer to talk about borrowing amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more…
Repayments won't be due until 2021 but other assistance is still set to expire in October. Read more…
Borrowers are taking advantage of forbearance rather than paying down their debt, and lenders are being extra selective in approving new loans. Read more…
See where you can travel, and learn about advisories around the world. Read more…
Americans had the most trouble with credit reporting agencies and banks — but they were mostly happy with lenders. Read more…
Can't find your favorite Clorox wipes? These alternative disinfecting options can work just as well as leading brands. See where they're in stock. Read more…
Ask an Expert