This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.

Child and dependent care credit: 2019 tax year

Working parents with child care expenses can claim this credit, but there are strict requirements.


Fact checked

The Child Care Tax Credit, also known as the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, was created to provide tax relief for working parents. But you must meet strict requirements to qualify.

What is the Child and Dependent Care Credit?

The Child Care Tax Credit helps working parents pay for daycare expenses for children under 13, incapacitated spouses and qualifying adult dependents.

If you qualify, you can claim up to $3,000 of care expenses for one dependent or $6,000 for two or more dependents. You’ll receive a credit worth 20% to 35% of these expenses depending on your income.

How much is the Child and Dependent Care Credit worth in 2019?

There are two parts to the Child Care Tax Credit. The first part tells you how much you can write off based on your filing status and number of dependents.

You can find your limit in the chart below:

Child Care Tax Credit limits 2019
Number of dependents Single, married filing jointly or head of household Married, filing separately
One $3,000 Not eligible
Two or more $6,000 Not eligible

The second part tells you the percentage of eligible expenses you’ll get a credit for based on your adjusted gross income. You can find your percentage in the chart below:

Amount of credit
Adjusted gross income Credit percentage
Up to $15,000 35%
$15,001 to $17,000 34%
$17,001 to $19,000 33%
$19,001 to $21,000 32%
$21,001 to $23,000 31%
$23,001 to $25,000 30%
$25,001 to $27,000 29%
$27,001 to $29,000 28%
$29,001 to $31,000 27%
$31,001 to $33,000 26%
$33,001 to $35,000 25%
$35,001 to $37,000 24%
$37,001 to $39,000 23%
$39,001 to $41,000 22%
$41,000 to $43,000 21%
$43,001 or more 20%


The child care tax credit has several limits, such as:

How much was the Child and Dependent Care Credit worth in previous years?

The child care tax credit hasn’t changed in the past three years.

Who qualifies for the Child and Dependent Care Credit?

You qualify for the child care tax credit as long as you:

  • Aren’t filing separate returns if you’re married.
  • File taxes using Form 1040 or 1040NR.
  • Have earned income through an employer or self-employment.
  • Care for a qualifying child or dependent.
  • Pay dependent care expenses so you and your spouse can work or look for work.
  • Make payments to a qualifying care provider who you can’t claim as a dependent.
  • Can provide the name, address and tax identification number for the care provider on your tax return.

How to calculate the Child and Dependent Care Credit

Follow these steps to calculate your child care tax credit.

  1. Add up all your qualifying dependent care expenses for the year.
  2. Calculate how much of your expenses you can claim based on your filing status and number of dependents.
  3. Calculate your adjusted gross income by subtracting 401(k) or IRA contributions and itemized deductions from your gross income.
  4. Take your adjusted gross income and use the chart above to determine what percentage of your expenses you can get credit for.
  5. Multiply your eligible dependent care expenses in Step 2 by your percentage in Step 4 to get your child care tax credit amount.

Let’s look at an example.

Mandy’s adjusted gross income is $70,000 a year. She has one qualifying child and spent $5,000 on daycare expenses. According to the charts above, she can get a 20% credit for the first $3,000 in qualifying expenses, so her credit would be $600.

If you have children, you may also qualify for these credits:

  • Earned Income Tax Credit. If your income is below $56,000, you could receive a credit worth up to $6,660.
  • Child Tax Credit. If you have children under age 17, you could receive a credit worth up to $2,000 for each child.

Compare tax filing services

Data indicated here is updated regularly
Name Product Federal returns starting price State returns starting price Maximum return guaranteed? Free options available? Photo import of W2? Live chat?
Intuit TurboTax
File returns electronically and get taken step by step through the tax-filing process, so that you can receive the fastest refund possible for yourself, and/or your business.
Keeper Tax
Keeper Tax helps people with 1099 income automatically find tax write-offs among their purchases. At tax time, file federal and state directly for $89 or export to file elsewhere for $39.
Liberty Tax
Choose from EZ, Basic, Deluxe, and Premium packages to support the simplest or the most complicated of returns; including business and investments.
TaxAct offers downloadable and online tax preparation services for personal, business and enterprise use
TaxSlayer offers free federal and state filing for simple returns and $0 federal return to service members filing with a military EIN.
H&R Block
File simply and securely with tax software from H&R Block.
File federal returns for free and pay $12.95 for state returns with this online tax preparation software.
eSmart tax
Compare tax preparation plans for this software backed by Liberty Tax Service.

Compare up to 4 providers

Bottom line

If you qualify for the Child and Dependent Care Credit, you could receive a credit worth up to $600 for one dependent or $700 for two or more. There are strict qualifications, but you shouldn’t let that stop you from claiming it if you qualify. Be sure to have your care provider’s taxpayer identification number on hand when you’re ready to file taxes.

If you’re looking to breeze through this tax season, consider hiring a professional or compare top-rated online services that can do most of the legwork for you.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site