This AI penguin helps you get out of debt and save as quickly as possible — but it costs $4.99 a month.
The Charlie app analyzes your financial accounts to help you create a game plan for paying off debt as quickly and efficiently as possible. But it costs $4.99 a month.
$4.99 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Charlie app is best for those looking for a tech-centric financial app to help you pay off debt as quickly as possible. Once you connect all your accounts, it gives you an estimated debt-free date. Then, it helps you figure out which debts to payoff first and set up auto-save rules so you can reach your goals even faster.Charlie also features an AI assistant to help with an array of financial tasks, including notifying you when account balances are low, looking for better deals on phone coverage and answering nearly every question imaginable about your financial accounts.
But it costs $4.99 a month. While this is average for most budgeting apps — and Charlie comes with a one-month free trial — it’s not ideal for those looking for a free way to pay down debt.
How much does it cost?Charlie costs $4.99 a month, which you pay through the Apple App Store or Google Play. You get a one-month free trial to start.
How do I get the Charlie app?
Sign up for Charlie in five steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official Charlie website, click Sign up now.
- Download the mobile app in the Apple App Store or Google Play and click Get Started.
- Select your annual income, total debts, credit score and reason for downloading Charlie.
- Enter your name, date of birth, email and phone number and click Sign Me Up.
- Connect your bank accounts and credit cards and wait while Charlie analyzes your transactions.
- Choose which rules you’d like to add to help you start saving money with Charlie.
How does the Charlie app work?Charlie is a financial app designed to help you save and get out of debt as quickly as possible. Once you connect your bank or credit card account, Charlie analyzes your accounts and gives you an estimated debt free date. You can use Charlie‘s built-in calculator to see how much quicker you could pay off debt if you paid more than the minimum payment.Charlie also helps you cancel unwanted subscriptions, find cheaper cell phone coverage and save automatically through custom rules. For example, you could tell Charlie to move 10% of your purchase to savings each time you buy a coffee, go shopping or run to Target.Charlie supports over 14,000 financial institutions.
Is the Charlie app safe to use?
Yes. Charlie uses the same 256-bit SSL encryption that banks use. It never stores login information and it never sells your personal data.
What are the pros and cons of the Charlie app?Charlie has a long list of benefits, but there are still a few drawbacks to keep in mind.
- Free trial. Take Charlie for a test spin with a free one-month free trial. After that, you’ll be charged $4.99 a month for the app through the App Store or Google Play.
- Debt-free date. Charlie analyzes your debt accounts and gives you an estimated debt-free date. It’ll then help you figure out how much sooner you could be debt free if you made extra payments.
- Credit card payment tools. Charlie will help you figure out which credit cards you should pay off first to save the most money over time.
- Custom auto-save rules. Use this feature to build your savings without lifting a finger. You can have spare change from card purchases swept into savings. Or, you can have a set percentage or dollar amount moved to savings each time you spend money in a particular category of your choice — say coffee, shopping, Amazon, or the movies.
- Ask questions 24/7. Charlie has a built-in chat bot that can tell you everything from how much money you spent on Uber last month to how much you need to save per week for your next vacation.
- Subscription fee. Charlie costs $4.99 a month, which adds up to almost $60 a year. Still, it’s cheaper than other popular financial apps.
- Mobile only. You can’t manage your Charlie account from a desktop. It’s Apple or Andriod devices only.
If you’re not looking for an app focused on debt relief, check out our guide to budgeting for beginners.
Compare the Charlie app with other budgeting software
Use this interactive table to see how Charlie compares to other popular financial apps.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions
What types of questions can I ask Charlie?Charlie answers nearly any question regarding spending, account balances, income and account configuration. Some common questions include:
- What expenses can I cut?
- How much did I spend at Whole Foods this month? What about last month?
- What types of subscriptions do I have?
- How soon can I pay off my debt?
- What was my income last year?
- How do I save $2,000 by Christmas?
- Let me know if I spend more than $200 on Amazon.
- What else can you do?
How do I contact Charlie’s customer service?
Email email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
How do I delete my financial data in Charlie?
Delete your Charlie account by typing Delete into the chat feature. This erases your info and removes the bot’s access to your financial information.
Can Charlie overdraw my account?
No. Charlie has built-in safeguards to ensure it never brings your bank account balance below $100. You also get an alert each time it moves money.