Banfield pet insurance review Nov 2020
An expanse of routine care services and product discounts for wide wellness pet care
- Get a quote if you use Banfield products and services.
- Pick something else if you can’t overlook the poor customer reviews.
From 6 months
Up to 90%
|Average monthly cost||$39.78|
|Types of policy||Wellness, Accident|
|Multi-pet discount||$15 for each additional pet|
|Bundling discount||Not offered|
|Paid in ful||Not offered|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Banfield’s wellness plans offer vast coverage for routine exams and tests, preventive medication and even X-rays or DNA tests to prevent health problems early. However, its pet hospitals don’t provide the most reputable service or vet care, leaving many customers looking for services elsewhere.
How much is Banfield pet insurance?
Expect to pay anywhere from $25 to $55 per month for your pet with cats trending toward the low end of that range. These plans are more expensive than most wellness plans from pet insurers, which can cost $15 to $20 per month. However, Banfield does offer more covered services than what’s standard for wellness policies, plus free-of-charge exams for accidents or illnesses.
Banfield pet insurance quotes
We compared quotes for these pet profiles in Georgia, but costs can differ based on your location. What to expect:
|Breed||Age||Gender||Maximum payout||Wellness plan||Monthly rate|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||Reimburses for the cost of service||Active||$24.95|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||Reimburses for the cost of service||Active Plus||$37.95|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||Reimburses for the cost of service||Special||$45.95|
|Dog||Mixed breed||2 years||Female||Reimburses for the cost of service||Active||$31.95|
|Dog||Mixed breed||2 years||Female||Reimburses for the cost of service||Active Plus||$42.95|
|Dog||Mixed breed||2 years||Female||Reimburses for the cost of service||Special||$54.95|
Which discounts can I get?
This company offers extra savings for:
- Medical services. Get between 5% to 20% off of medical services not covered by your wellness plan.
- Multiple pets. You’ll see a $15 savings if you buy plans for multiple pets.
- Product discounts. You can scoop up discounts for pet food and supplies bought from Banfield stores if you use its wellness plans.
How do I sign up?
You can sign up by starting a quote online or by calling 888-445-7387. If you go the online route:
- From the main website, click to view its wellness plans.
- Select whether you’ve visited Banfield hospitals before and enter other basic information. Click Next.
- View your quote, read coverage details and choose your preferred plan. Click Next.
- Enter your pet’s basic information and age. Click See My Rates.
- View your quote and customize the reimbursement and deductible. Choose your preferred policy.
- If you like what you see, click Next.
- Enter your own contact details and payment information.
- Start your policy.
- Submit your pet’s recent physical exam records and complete your waiting period.
Pros and cons of Banfield pet insurance
- Some of the broadest wellness plans available. This company’s wellness policies go above and beyond, offering a variety of routine services without a deductible or maximum limit.
- Free office visits and discounts. Banfield helps to seal the deal by offering no-charge office visits when you use its pet hospitals. Plus, you get discounts on the store’s pet supplies.
- Network of 1,000 pet hospitals. Not many pet hospital chains exist, but you can find Banfield pet hospitals in over 40 states. This can help if you move addresses or travel with your pet and problems come up.
- Flexible hours. If you need a vet accessible during evening and weekend hours, Banfield has you covered.
- Poor customer service. Banfield has received hundreds of poor customer reviews with strong warnings against using its pet hospitals.
- Doesn’t cover accidents or illnesses. While an exam may be covered, you’ll need to shop elsewhere for nonroutine care coverage.
- Pricey policies. Because of each policy’s robust coverage, you’ll pay more than usual for wellness coverage. Weigh the pros and cons of Banfield’s other benefits to offset this cost.
Banfield pet insurance reviews and complaints
Banfield Pet Hospital holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of July 29, 2020, despite its many poor customer reviews. Nearly 700 customers have filed BBB complaints for the company from 2017 to 2020, a hefty number compared to most pet insurers who see less than half that number. It scores a 1 out of 5 stars from nearly 200 BBB customer reviews.
As further confirmation, about 80 customers have given Banfield a 1.7 rating out of 5 on Trustpilot. Reviews on both sites say that the hospitals overbook their appointments and don’t see pets at their scheduled time. This leads to longer stays at the hospital.
Also, a few customers have commented that their pets seem stressed at pickup or need to relieve themselves immediately after pickup, raising a red flag for pet care during their hospital stay.
What pet insurance coverage does Banfield offer?
Banfield offers strong coverage for your pet’s routine care at multiple coverage levels. Those include:
|Service||What it covers||Active Care||Active Care Plus||Special Care|
|Wellness exams||Routine physical exam twice per year|
|Dental cleaning||Cleaning and brushing your pet’s teeth|
|Vaccines||Stay up-to-date on shots recommended by most vets|
|Fecal exams||Testing for worms that may be infecting your pet|
|Screening for serious illnesses||Chest X-rays and electrocardiograms, designed for older pets|
|Deworming treatment||Medication to get rid of worm infections|
|Unlimited office visits||Free office visits any time you go to a Banfield Hospital for any reason|
|Urinalysis||Testing for abnorrmalities, like a urinary tract infection|
What add-ons does Banfield offer?
You can add a couple extra types of coverage to your plan:
- Preventive medication. Add coverage for preventive heartworm, flea or tick control to your wellness plan.
- DNA testing. Identify your pet’s breed and find any genetic problems they might have to help prevent health issues in the future.
Alternatives to Banfield
See what other companies offer for routine care as well as accidents or illnesses. That way you can pick the best one for your furry friend.