Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare American Express travel cards
Choose among airline cards, hotel cards, a luxury travel card or a card with restaurant perks.
Compare American Express travel credit cards
Consider these American Express travel cards
Below we’ve highlighted some Amex travel cards. When picking a card to apply for, look at the welcome offer value, reward points earned per dollar spent and the fees, such as foreign transaction fees and annual fees.
Quick look at travel credit cards from American Express
American Express® Gold Card
The Platinum Card® from American Express
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express Card
Typical benefits of an American Express travel card
- No foreign transaction fee. You won’t pay any fees when using your card abroad. Other cards have fees of up to 3% of each transaction. This means for $3,000 spent outside of the US, you save $90.
- Global assist hotline. When you travel more than 100 miles from home, get 24/7 access to medical, legal, financial or other emergency assistance services — including cash wires, passport replacement, missing luggage and more. However, you are responsible for third-party costs.
- Baggage insurance. Depending on your card, you can get baggage insurance for lost, damaged or stolen baggage for up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage.
- Car rental coverage. To get coverage against theft and damage, pay for the car rental entirely with your card and decline the collision damage waiver when offered.
How to compare American Express travel cards
To figure out which Amex travel card most closely meets your needs, consider the following:
- Do you mostly dine out and travel? The American Express® Gold Card offers accelerated rewards at restaurants, US supermarkets and flights booked through Amex Travel. In addition, you get airline fee credit, dining credit, perks at the Hotel Collection and more.
- Do you want to travel in style? If you’re looking to get the best travel perks, the The Platinum Card® from American Express is undoubtedly worth considering. You get to earn points on flights and hotels booked through Amex Travel, you get access to more than 1,200 lounges worldwide, airline fee credit, hotel perks and more.
- Do you fly Delta? If you’re an occasional Delta flyer, the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card could be a solid choice. You get to earn the same number of miles as the more expensive Delta cards, priority boarding and first checked bag free.
- Do you want a hotel card? With the Hilton Honors American Express Card you’ll earn points at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio, and you’ll get a variety of perks on your stays.
Consider a travel card from another brand
Luxury Card Mastercard® Titanium Card™Read more
American Express has a diverse suite of travel cards. Depending on what you need to travel better, you can select from airline cards, hotel cards, a premium travel card or a travel card designed for those who often dine out. Aside from card-specific perks, you can get peace of mind with baggage insurance, Amex global assistance and more.
But if you’re not sure that any of these cards would work for you, consider other travel credit cards to compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert