Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Your guide to the American Express “refer a friend” program
Earn bonus points every time you refer a friend and they're approved.
The American Express Refer a Friend program gives you a chance to earn more than 50,000 bonus points annually for every friend or family member you refer through the program. But to get the points, they must be approved for an eligible American Express credit card.
Who can I refer to the program?
You are free to refer friends, family and acquaintances with your provided Amex referral links. Amex requests that these links only be used for individuals you know.
Amex provides you with social media links if you want to try to reach an audience you may not know. However, with Amex’s terms you must disclose that you may receive compensation for anyone who applies and is approved for a card using your link.
What cards can I refer?
There is a rule within the program. If you have a cobranded card — Hilton, Marriott or Delta card — you can only refer your friends to that suite of cards. For example, if you own Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card, you can only refer your friends to Delta credit cards, but not Hilton or American Express cards, such as the The Platinum Card® from American Express or Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
On the other hand, if you have a regular American Express card, you can refer a friend to any credit card issued by American Express. For example, if you own Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, you can refer your friends to Delta cards or Hilton cards.
How many bonus points can I earn?
This depends on the card that you refer to. Below you will find examples that are accurate as of this writing but know they can change over time.
- Amex EveryDay® Credit Card.
If you refer someone to this card, you can earn 10,000 bonus membership rewards points. Your limit is 55,000 bonus points annually.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express.
This card has a slightly more generous reward of 15,000 bonus points per referred person. But the annual limit stays the same at 55,000.
- Hilton Honors American Express Card.
Earn 20,000 bonus points by referring this card. The annual limit for this card is 80,000 bonus points.
How can I refer a friend?
To earn rewards for referring friends and family to American Express, you need to follow the steps outlined below.
- Log in to your American Express account.
- Select the card you want to refer to.
- Click Refer now.
- Enter the email of the person you want to refer a card to or get a personalized link and share it.
See screenshots of how to refer a friend
Compare credit cards for the Amex “refer a friend” program
What to watch out for
- No spam. American Express has strong anti-spam sentiments and states that you can only send referral messages to close friends and family who have already consented to receive this information. You should not market this offer via paid advertising or public forums.
- Points cap. Depending on the card, you can earn a certain maximum of points of more than 50,000 points through this program each year.
- Contingent on approval. The bonus rewards points are subject to your friend’s application being approved, and to any other specific conditions for the specific referral offer you use.
- Not using the referral link. The only way you can earn the bonus is if the person you sent to referral link to uses it and applies for the card.
- You have not paid your balance when due. Having unpaid balances may prevent you from receiving the bonus points.
With these tips in mind, you’re all set to begin referring friends or family members who are interested in getting an American Express card. Just remember, the bonus points you can earn are subject to your friend’s application approval and offers are only available for a limited time. Make sure you check for updates and follow the steps above when you find an offer that works for you and your friend.
If you’re looking to earn even more, check out the six other ways to earn membership rewards points.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn 5% back on REI purchases, but be prepared to wait for your rewards.
American Eagle Real Rewards credit card review
A solid card if you’re an American Eagle fanatic.
Shop Your Way Mastercard® review
Earn up to 5% back for your Shop Your Way account.
Compare crypto credit cards 2021
Earn crypto on your purchases with these cards.
Delta Medallion status: How does it work and why you should get it
Ascend through its ranks and Delta Medallion Status pays off with additional perks and benefits for SkyMiles members.
Best credit card combinations
Use these credit card combinations to boost your rewards earnings.
Earn up to $1,000 with these hot new Chase welcome offers
Both Chase Sapphire cards now offer an astounding welcome offer value for a limited time.
Sephora Credit Card review
Sephora regulars get to earn rewards on their purchases.
Capital on Tap Business Credit Card review
A simple business card with optional bonus reward rates.
Ask an Expert