American Express® Green Card review
A valuable travel card with 3x points on travel and dining purchases.
finder.com’s rating: 3.9 / 5
Earn accelerated reward points on purchases at restaurants worldwide and travel.
- Get this card if you want a solid Amex travel card without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Pick something else if you want to carry your balance.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
Recommended credit score
|Welcome Offer||30,000 points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||3x Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, 3x points at restaurants and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||See Pay Over Time APR|
|Recommended minimum credit score||680|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The revamped American Express® Green Card offers plenty to entice, including up to 3x points on restaurants and travel purchases, a 30,000 point welcome offer, no foreign transaction fees and annual statement credits toward travel-related purchases, such as CLEAR and LoungeBuddy.
New to the card is a boosted rewards rate, bringing it up to par with some of the top-of-the-line competitor cards. This is particularly valuable since the card earns the flexible Membership Rewards points.
Nonetheless, the American Express® Green Card is a more than solid opportunity if you’re a traveler but don’t want the perks or fees on Amex’s more luxurious cards.
How to apply for the American Express® Green Card
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. If you meet these eligibility criteria, here’s how to proceed:
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
Increase your chances of approval with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
American Express® Green Card benefits
- Welcome offer. Earn 30,000 membership rewards points after you spend $2,000 in your first 3 months when you open your account.
- Membership Rewards points. Earn 3x points at restaurants worldwide and 3x points on travel purchases including, airfare, hotel stays, subway rides and city tours. All other purchases earn 1x points.
- CLEAR statement credit. Receive up to $100 in statement credit annually when you use your card to pay for your CLEAR membership. If you’re already a Delta SkyMiles or United MileagePlus member, you get an additional $60 discount on your CLEAR membership, reducing the price of CLEAR membership from $179 to $119.
- LoungeBuddy statement credit. Receive up to $100 in statement credit each year when you pay with your American Express® Green Card for lounge passes via the LoungeBuddy app.
- No foreign transaction fees. Use your card abroad and you won’t incur any foreign transaction fees.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. Expect to pay $150 annually to use the card and its perks. But if you use the statement credits each year, you can easily cover the annual fee.
- Pay Over Time feature. Credit cards typically let you carry your balance on all purchases by paying interest rates. The American Express® Green Card, however, lets you carry your balance on some purchases, but not on all of them.
Compare rewards credit cards
Compare American Express® Green Card with other cards
If you travel often and you want to earn accelerated reward points on travel and restaurant purchases, the American Express® Green Card could be worth considering. You get to earn a solid welcome offer and you get to earn statement credits each year on CLEAR membership and LoungeBuddy purchases.
However, if you think there could be a better credit card for you, compare all credit cards until you find the right fit for your wallet.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.