Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
American Express: Gold Card vs. Platinum Card
Which of these high-end charge cards is going to be the one?
Both cards aren’t your typical credit card — they’re charge cards. This means your full balance is due every month. Note that the American Express® Gold Card lets you carry a balance with interest for eligible purchases of $100 or more. Though it’s the only major provider of charge cards, American Express also offers traditional credit cards if you’d prefer to carry a balance.
Summary of card features
American Express® Gold Card
- Earn 4x points at restaurants. You'll also earn 4x points at US supermarkets up to 25,000 per calendar year. Earn 1x points after that and on everything else.
- A solid 60,000-point welcome offer after you spend $4,000 within your first 6 months of account opening.
- Get a great selection of travel benefits and credits, including a monthly $10 dining credit and $100 airline fee credit.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Membership reward points. Earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked directly through Amex Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, your 5x points on flights will be capped on up to $500,000 annually (then 1x points).
- You can use your points toward gift cards, travel rewards, statement credit and more. If you redeem these points for the highest valued rewards, you'll get 5% back. On all other eligible purchases, you'll earn 1x points.
- Welcome offer. Get 60,000 membership rewards points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of card membership. That's up to $1,200 worth of rewards when transferred to travel partners.
- Airline fee credit. Select a qualifying airline and receive a $200 airline fee credit each year to cover incidental charges, such as checked bags or in-flight purchases.
If the annual fee is doable and you’re sure you’ll get value out of either the American Express® Gold Card or The Platinum Card® from American Express, apply today so you can start raking in rewards sooner than later.
But not every card is going to be a match, so don’t sweat it if you weren’t pulled toward either of these cards. See what other credit cards are available, and you’ll likely find one that appeals to you after making a few more comparisons.
Compare travel credit cards
Ask an Expert