Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card review
A solid rewards card eclipsed by the Amazon Prime version.
- Get this card if you regularly shop with Amazon or at Whole Foods Market.
- Pick something else if you want higher cash back on other categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
3% back at Amazon.com, 2% back at gas stations, restaurants and drugstores and 1% back on all other purchases
14.24% to 22.24% variable
Minimum Credit Score
|Welcome offer||$75 Amazon.com gift card upon approval|
|Rewards||3% back at Amazon.com, 2% back at gas stations, restaurants and drugstores and 1% back on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||14.24% to 22.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||14.24% to 22.24% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The no-annual-fee Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card can be an excellent choice if you frequently shop with Amazon or at Whole Foods. You’ll get to earn 3% cash back in the form of points with these sellers, 2% cash back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, and 1% back on everything else. Points can be redeemed for a variety of rewards, including cash back and the ability to pay for future Amazon purchases. The card comes with a 14.24% to 22.24% variable APR and requires no annual fee.
If you’ve shopped with Amazon, you know they carry an enormous variety of products on their site. This variety means you can likely earn rewards on items you couldn’t manage with any other card, and is the main draw of the card. The other earning categories are the cherry on the top and can help you funnel those purchases into your next big Amazon purchase.
The biggest question when it comes to this card is whether you have a Prime Membership, or if you’re willing to pay for one. If so, you may qualify for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card, which earns 5% back on Amazon and Whole Foods purchases rather than 3%. This is not only a bigger value on Amazon purchases, but is a significant earning rate for groceries. Most rewards cards that earn 5% back on a category usually place an earning cap on the rate, or rotate the categories that can earn 5% back.
The question then ultimately comes down to how often you shop on Amazon or at Whole Foods. If you make a significant number of purchases at either store, you’ll likely want to skip the Amazon Rewards Card, pay for a Prime Membership, and go right for the Amazon Prime Rewards Card. If you don’t spend much at either store, you’ll likely find better value with less restrictive rewards cards.
How to apply for the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review your information and submit.
What should I know before I apply?
To get the card, you must be a US citizen and at least 18 years old or at least 19 years old in Alabama and Nebraska.
In your application, you’ll need to provide information such as:
- Full name and contact information.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Residential information and annual income.
At the end of your application, you can choose your card design out of three available options.
How long will it take to get my Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card?
You should receive a decision immediately. If further review is required, it may take up to 30 days to get a decision.
Once approved, you’ll get your card within seven to 10 business days.
Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card benefits
- Cash back. Earn 3% back on all of your Amazon and Whole Food Markets purchases. Earn 2% cash back in the form of points at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores. On all other purchases, earn 1% back. Sometimes, Amazon and Chase may also invite you to activate and boost your cash back at gas stations from 2% to 4% for a limited time. You can redeem these points on cash back, Amazon purchases and more.
- Amazon gift card. Get a $50 gift card as soon as you become a card member. This may not be a generous signup bonus, but you get it without having to meet any spending requirements.
- No annual fee. There’s no annual fee to own the card.
- No foreign transaction fees. Use this card whenever you travel abroad without paying any foreign transaction fees. And since this is a Visa card, it’s accepted worldwide.
- Travel accident insurance. When you use your card to pay for transportation — be it by air, bus, train or cruise — you’re eligible for coverage of up to $500,000 for accidental death or dismemberment.
- Lost luggage reimbursement. Get up to $3,000 coverage per passenger for your checked and carry-on bags in case of damage or loss by the carrier. Also, if your bags are delayed over six hours, you’ll be reimbursed for purchases like toiletries and clothing up to $100 per day for three days.
- Purchase protection. Get coverage against damage or theft for 120 days and up to $500 per claim when you make purchases with your card.
- Visa Signature concierge service. Enjoy complimentary Visa Signature concierge service 24/7 when you want tickets for sports and entertainment events, to make dinner reservations or to get help finding the perfect gift. Call 800-953-7392 for assistance with your requests.
- No penalty APR If you make a late payment or have one returned, you’ll pay up to $39 fee, but won’t incur any penalty APR.
Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card drawbacks
- No intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers. There’s no interest-free period with this card.
- Low minimum credit line. The minimum credit line you can get is $500.
- Potential prohibition of earning and using rewards. If you don’t make the minimum payment within 30 days of when it’s due, you may be temporarily prohibited from earning or redeeming your rewards.
- Loss of rewards. If you don’t make the minimum payment within 60 days of when it’s due, you may lose all of your points.
Some reward restrictions. You can only spend your earned cash back through the Amazon site, not through owned sites such as Kindle or Audible.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card?
|Where you spend:||The amount you spend:||Cash back earned:|
|Whole Food Market||$3,000||$90|
Suppose this is what your annual spending looks like for these categories. You would earn $290 in cash back in a year. Add the $50 gift card and your rewards would be $340 for the first year.
How do I redeem rewards from Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card?
With this card, you earn points that can be redeemed for:
- Cash back. Get a statement credit or a deposit to your checking or savings account, starting at 2,000 points.
- Amazon purchases. Use your points at checkout to pay for your entire purchase or to get a discount.
- Other. Redeem your points as gift cards, starting from 2,500 points worth $25, or toward travel purchases through the Chase website. Alternatively, call 855-234-2538 to book your travel.
You can’t use your points toward:
- Amazon Kindle downloads
- Digital music
- Amazon video titles
- Amazon Appstore apps
- AmazonFresh items
- Subscribe and Save items
- Magazine subscriptions
- Prime memberships, with the exception of Prime Gift memberships
- Preorder items
- Textbook rentals
- Reloading gift cards
Currently, you may not be able to use One-Click to purchase products with your rewards.
Compare rewards credit cards
If you’re interested in earning rewards on more than just Amazon purchases, you can select up to 4 rewards cards to compare side by side to see which card best fits your financial needs.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card reviews and complaints.
Customers are largely satisfied with the cashback rate, and some even claim Amazon offered them an interest-free period on purchases for up to 18 months. Also, many customers say they were pleased to have received a high credit line.
Those who had negative experiences with the card said they had issues with declined charges. Other complaints focus on the high interest rate. Carrying a lower balance can help you avoid pain over the high APR.
If you often shop on Amazon or at Whole Foods Market, the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card could be a solid option. Every point you earn with the card comes as pure reward since you won’t pay an annual fee and the earning rates are generous for a cobranded card.
However, if you’re not sure that this is the right card for you, check out other credit cards to compare your options and find the best fit for your financial needs and goals.