Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
STA Travel insurance review
Get straightforward, affordable coverage for your overseas adventures.
Updated . What changed?
There are lots of things that can happen when you’re overseas — stolen or lost luggage, sickness or injury or you may need to cancel your trip before it even begins. Whatever the issue, dealing with problems on vacation can be expensive. With travel insurance protection from STA Travel, you can protect your trip and your money.
The financial effects of the coronavirus have forced STA Travel insurance to file for bankruptcy and are no longer in business. Customers with bookings through STA Travel limited that were made through another travel company, or those who booked with STA Travel with flights should be protected.
Customers should contact the travel insurance company that connected them with STA Travel insurance, the airline the flights were booked through or the Civil Aviation Authority for flight-based packages booked through STA Travel insurance. However, corporate travel bookings are not financially protected. To get further information on how your travel plans may be protected you can reach STA Travel insurance by email at STA@claims.abta.co.uk.
STA Travel policies
Explorer plus policy coverage
- Provides coverage for medical emergencies, trip delay, trip cancellation, and security and political evacuation.
- This multi-trip policy offers protection for unlimited trips over a 12-month period. This could be the ideal option for students studying abroad.
- Offers coverage for those seeking adventure — bungee jumping, rock climbing or any other high risk activity.
Standard international travel insurance coverage
- Provides comprehensive coverage from trip cancellation, interruption and delay, loss or damage of personal items and baggage, emergency accident, sickness and medical expenses and emergency medical evacuation.
- Coverage is available for travelers up to 72 years old for a single trip with a maximum stay of six months.
- If you suffer from a pre-existing medical condition it offers protection against illnesses and diseases you’re aware of before you leave for your trip.
Features of STA Travel insurance policies
With all plans you’ll have a 14 day free look to see if you want to keep the policy and receive a full refund after sending a written notice of cancellation. You’ll also benefit from paying for claims instantly while traveling, without having to wait for reimbursements.
|Explorer plus policy coverage||Standard international travel insurance coverage|
|Trip cancellation||$3,000||Not Available|
|Trip interruption||$3,000||Not Available|
|Trip delay||Up to $1,000||Up to $250|
|Baggage delay||Up to $200||Up to $100|
|Baggage & personal effects |
Includes lost passport & visa replacement costs
|Up to $2,500||Not Available|
|Adventure sports coverage||Yes||Yes|
|Emergency accident & sickness medical expense||Up to $100,000||Up to $25,000|
|Emergency medical evacuation||Up to $500,000||Up to 250,000|
|Pre-existing conditions coverage||Yes (Conditions Apply)||Yes (Conditions Apply)|
|Policy validity||1 Year||1 Year|
|Age||Up to 72||Up to 72|
How do I make a claim with STA Travel insurance?
- In order for you to file a claim with STA Travel insurance, you must provide the company with written notice within 20 days the the event. Include your name, policy number and travel supplier’s name and send it to the address provided on your schedule of benefits or to an authorized designee.
- To file your claim, provide STA with proof of loss within 90 days after the loss occurred.
- If you’re filing a claim for the damage or destruction of a property, you need to prove the damage in order to process the claim.
- To file your claim, download the claim forms from the STA Travel website, complete it and send the completed form and documents via mail, email or fax.
Who is STA Travel?
STA Travel was started by two students in 1979 to provide affordable flights and adventures to other students on a tight budget. Today, STA still offers affordable travel insurance policies for students and other travelers for medical expenses, lost or stolen luggage and personal items, trip delay and accidental death and dismemberment.
The company is administered by CSA Travel Protection and Insurance Services and the travel insurance is underwritten by Generali U.S. Branch.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Guardian dental insurance review 2021
This insurer has four dental plans to choose from — compare costs and features now.
Lemonade life insurance review
This fintech just branched out into low-cost life insurance — but its lineup is limited.
Combined life insurance review March 2021
Find unusually low face values for a whole life policy, ideal for supplemental insurance.
Wagmo pet insurance review Mar 2021
Get pet insurance that reimburses 100% of your vet bills or a separate wellness plan.
Original Medicare vs. Medicare Advantage
Compare the costs, coverage and eligibility of these two popular plans.
COVID testing now required for international air travel to the United States
CDC to require travelers to have a COVID test prior to travel and what implications that has for travel insurance.
WorldSIM Review: International SIM Card Plans
WorldSIM offers prepaid international SIM cards with coverage in over 200 countries and varying add-ons for call and data options.
Get a new smile in as little as six months with SmileDirectClub. Learn about treatment, costs and whether it’s covered by health insurance.
Virtuwell review Mar 2021
This virtual clinic has an innovative model that cuts down your waiting time — but it’s not for everyone.
Investing in insurance stocks
Benefits and drawbacks of investing in insurance stocks.
Ask an Expert