Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
STA Travel insurance review
Get straightforward, affordable coverage for your overseas adventures.
There are lots of things that can happen when you’re overseas — stolen or lost luggage, sickness or injury or you may need to cancel your trip before it even begins. Whatever the issue, dealing with problems on vacation can be expensive. With travel insurance protection from STA Travel, you can protect your trip and your money.
STA Travel policies
Explorer plus policy coverage
- Provides coverage for medical emergencies, trip delay, trip cancellation, and security and political evacuation.
- This multi-trip policy offers protection for unlimited trips over a 12-month period. This could be the ideal option for students studying abroad.
- Offers coverage for those seeking adventure — bungee jumping, rock climbing or any other high risk activity.
Standard international travel insurance coverage
- Provides comprehensive coverage from trip cancellation, interruption and delay, loss or damage of personal items and baggage, emergency accident, sickness and medical expenses and emergency medical evacuation.
- Coverage is available for travelers up to 72 years old for a single trip with a maximum stay of six months.
- If you suffer from a pre-existing medical condition it offers protection against illnesses and diseases you’re aware of before you leave for your trip.
Features of STA Travel insurance policies
With all plans you’ll have a 14 day free look to see if you want to keep the policy and receive a full refund after sending a written notice of cancellation. You’ll also benefit from paying for claims instantly while traveling, without having to wait for reimbursements.
|Explorer plus policy coverage||Standard international travel insurance coverage|
|Trip cancellation||$3,000||Not Available|
|Trip interruption||$3,000||Not Available|
|Trip delay||Up to $1,000||Up to $250|
|Baggage delay||Up to $200||Up to $100|
|Baggage & personal effects |
Includes lost passport & visa replacement costs
|Up to $2,500||Not Available|
|Adventure sports coverage||Yes||Yes|
|Emergency accident & sickness medical expense||Up to $100,000||Up to $25,000|
|Emergency medical evacuation||Up to $500,000||Up to 250,000|
|Pre-existing conditions coverage||Yes (Conditions Apply)||Yes (Conditions Apply)|
|Policy validity||1 Year||1 Year|
|Age||Up to 72||Up to 72|
How do I make a claim with STA Travel insurance?
- In order for you to file a claim with STA Travel insurance, you must provide the company with written notice within 20 days the the event. Include your name, policy number and travel supplier’s name and send it to the address provided on your schedule of benefits or to an authorized designee.
- To file your claim, provide STA with proof of loss within 90 days after the loss occurred.
- If you’re filing a claim for the damage or destruction of a property, you need to prove the damage in order to process the claim.
- To file your claim, download the claim forms from the STA Travel website, complete it and send the completed form and documents via mail, email or fax.
Who is STA Travel?
STA Travel was started by two students in 1979 to provide affordable flights and adventures to other students on a tight budget. Today, STA still offers affordable travel insurance policies for students and other travelers for medical expenses, lost or stolen luggage and personal items, trip delay and accidental death and dismemberment.
The company is administered by CSA Travel Protection and Insurance Services and the travel insurance is underwritten by Generali U.S. Branch.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Is supplemental disability insurance right for me?
If you’re concerned your group disability insurance won’t replace enough of your income if you experience a disability, you can buy supplemental disability insurance.
Is credit disability insurance right for me?
Get your loan payments covered when you experience a disability and can’t work, but with limited coverage.
Do I need disability insurance?
Who long-term or short-term disability insurance works best for, and pros and cons to buying both.
How much will I get from disability insurance?
Disability insurance typically pays out between 40% and 80% of your income, but will depend on the type of policy you have.
Heacock Classic car insurance review October 2020
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
How much disability insurance do I need?
You won’t be able to replace all of your income with disability insurance, but you can buy enough to cover your biggest monthly bills.
Doggo pet insurance review Oct 2020
With round-the-clock support, customer experience and policy perks are this company’s claim to fame.
Parsley Health review Oct 2020
The fee unlocks unlimited messaging and multiple visits with a doctor or health coach.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Say car insurance review Oct 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Ask an Expert