Synchrony Bank Money Market Account review
This digital bank offers a consistent 0.4% APY — plus access to perks and rewards.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5.0
Synchrony Bank’s Money Market Account doesn’t require a minimum deposit to open, making it easy to grow your spare change at a reliable APY. But if your top priority is interest, look elsewhere for stronger rates.
Minimum deposit to open
As the news editor at Finder, Ryan Brinks melds decades of experience in business news and online content into creating comprehensive and helpful comparisons of the companies you trust your money with. He loves to innovate and put money to work while keeping a careful eye on managing risk. Beyond work, Ryan's also passionate about his family and serving his community.
Synchrony Bank is best for those looking for security and a consistent interest rate. You’ll earn rewards and a 0.4% APY no matter your balance.
However, if you like to do most of your banking at branches, you might want to keep looking.
How do I open a Synchrony Bank Money Market Account?
Easily open your Money Market Account with this digital bank online:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From Synchrony Bank’s website, click Open an Account. Then click Get Started if you’re a new customer.
- Click Money Market, indicate whether you’re applying for an individual or joint account and select how you heard about it. If you have a code, enter it. Otherwise, click Next: Select Options.
- Enter your initial deposit, then select whether you want an ATM card or checks. Click Next: What You Will Need.
- Complete next steps by providing basic personal and financial information, identifying any beneficiaries, and agreeing to your account’s terms and conditions. Submit your application.
If you’re approved, Synchrony deposits money from the account you specified in your application, contacting you with any next steps.
You must meet standard eligibility requirements to open an account with Synchrony:
- You’re a US citizen residing in the US.
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You have a Social Security number.
- Have the following information ready to complete your application:
- Your primary US home address.
- Your Social Security number and date of birth.
- Your government-issued ID, like a driver’s license or passport.
- The account and routing number of your funding account.
- Your occupation and employment details.
What are the benefits of Synchrony Bank’s Money Market Account?
Standard benefits of money market accounts include 24/7 access, automatic deposits, checkwriting abilities and flexible withdrawals online, by phone or through a network of Plus and Accel ATMs. Your savings are also protected by the FDIC for up to $250,000
Perks of the Money Market Account with Synchrony include:
- A consistent APY. Earn 0.4% on your savings, no matter your balance.
- No maintenance fees. You won’t pay a monthly fee to use your account.
- Loyalty perks. All accounts contribute to tiered rewards, benefits and discounts.
What is Synchrony Bank Perks?
Synchrony is the rare bank that rewards you for saving your money, rather than spending, say, on a credit card. As an account holder, you’re automatically enrolled in the tiered Synchrony Bank Perks based on both your total balances and how long you’ve been a customer.
- Domestic ATM fee refunds
- Travel and leisure discounts
- Waived wire transfer fees
- Free ID theft services
- Discounted rates
- Dedicated support
To see your current rewards tier, log in to your online account and click Perks.
|Balance||Less than $10,000||$10,000 – $49,999.99||$50,000 – $99,999.99||$100,000 – $249,999.99||$250,000|
|Minimum Tenure||Less than 1 year||1+ Years||2+ years||3+ years||5+ years|
What should I look out for?
But for two physical branches, Synchrony Bank embraces digital transactions and support, among other potential drawbacks:
- Two physical branches. The bank supports only two branches for in-person support — one in Utah and another in New Jersey.
- Transaction limit. As with similar accounts, you’re limited to six withdrawals and transfers outside of ATMs monthly. Although Regulation D is currently suspended, so check with Synchrony to see if it’s temporarily waiving this limit.
If you prefer a high-interest savings account, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, or compare your options when looking for a money market account.
Compare with other money market accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
- Access your money in a handful of ways:
- Online. Transfer money electronically to and from an external account.
- Mobile check. Upload a photo of your check through an app for fast deposits.
- ATMs. Withdraw cash at Plus or Accel ATMs. If you’re charged a fee, get a refund of up to $5 each statement cycle.
- Checks. Write a check to pay for rent, groceries and utilities.
- Wire transfer. Call 866-226-5638 during call center hours to talk to a banker.
What other savings options does Synchrony Bank offer?
- Synchrony Bank forgoes the typical suite of checking accounts to focus on savings through:
- CDs. Rates range from 0.75% for three months to 3.10% APY for 60 months, and you can withdraw interest at any time.
- High-yield savings. An award-winning savings-only account offers 2.25% APY with no minimum balance.
- IRA CDs. Earn 2.80% APY on your deposit of $2,000 or more with a traditional or Roth IRA account.
Frequently asked questions.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.