Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Antivirus software comparison: How to protect your computer
Compare antivirus software to find the best program to protect your device
Antivirus software scans your device for threats and removes any viruses and malware it finds.
The number of internet-connected devices per household is growing, and without sufficient protection, our devices and private data are more vulnerable than ever.
The price of antivirus software ranges from free to hundreds of dollars per year. Subscriptions are typically for one year, and may automatically renew at the end of the subscription period. Look for vendors offering free trials, so you can make sure you get everything you need before you sign up.
What is antivirus software?
Antivirus software is a program created to prevent, find, block and remove viruses, malware and malicious software. While antivirus software was initially developed to protect against computer viruses, the technology has grown to guard against other threats including malware, identity theft, online banking theft, spam and phishing attacks.
Most antivirus software programs perform the following three functions:
- Scan for threats
Antivirus software scans for malicious patterns and infectious material. You can choose to have the software scan specific files and directories or the whole computer. You can also opt to schedule the scans, allow them to run automatically or have a combination of both.
- Remove malicious programs and infections
After scanning for threats, your antivirus software removes anything malicious that it detects. You can adjust your software settings, so the program notifies you anytime it detects an infection, which lets you decide if you want to give the program permission to remove it. Otherwise, your antivirus software removes threats automatically. Antivirus software can also show you the overall “wellness” of your computer based on how many threats it regularly detects.
- Update regularly
A key feature of top-notch antivirus software is staying up-to-date. New threats are constantly developing and evolving, so it’s crucial your software keeps on top of new advancements to best protect your device. Without up-to-date software, your computer could easily become infected.
Popular antivirus software compared
What is the difference between antivirus and anti-malware?
Traditionally, antivirus software protects computers against viruses, which are a type of malware designed to replicate itself.
Anti-malware software was designed to protect against malware, including viruses, spyware, Trojans and worms.
However, the terms have become blurred over time, and most modern antivirus software protects against many kinds of malware. Some vendors use the terms interchangeably, so make sure to find out exactly what your software is protecting you against before you sign up.
Why should I consider antivirus software?
Antivirus software can provide the following services:
- Malware protection. The primary function of antivirus software is to protect your devices against viruses, spyware, malware, phishing attacks and cyber threats. Without antivirus software, your data is vulnerable to numerous threats.
- Password protection. Some software helps prevent hackers or identity thieves from stealing your passwords.
- Parental controls. You can use antivirus software to monitor your children’s computer activity.
- Ad blocking. Most antivirus software can block ads, pop-ups and spam websites that try to steal information.
- Two-way firewall. Modern antivirus software provides two-way firewall security, which means the software is checking for both incoming and outgoing suspicious activity.
Disadvantages of antivirus software
- False alarms. Antivirus software can sometimes wrongfully identify non-malicious files as infected, which can cause problems, especially if the software automatically removes the perceived threat. One way to help prevent this is to set your software to ask permission before deleting files. Occasionally, a false positive can render entire applications or systems unusable, and you need to remove and reinstall them. Make sure you back up all critical files.
- Slowed computer performance. Running several antivirus programs at the same time slows the performance of your computer. Modern antivirus software is getting better at running without impacting computer performance, but some software can interrupt and delay specific programs and system updates.
- Ineffectiveness. Antivirus software isn’t perfect. No software can detect 100% of threats, as new viruses and malware are continually created. If you store a lot of sensitive information, you might want to consider buying antivirus software from more than one vendor to provide multiple layers of protection.
- Attacks. Antivirus software can also be vulnerable to attacks. Your antivirus software usually has access to your entire computer, which can lead to devastating consequences if the software is hacked. Make sure you purchase software from a reputable vendor that updates security regularly. You should also read user reviews of any software you are considering.
What to look for when choosing antivirus software
There are a few important things to consider when buying antivirus software. First, look for software with excellent user reviews. Next, consider vendors who offer the following:
- A malware-detection rate of 95% or more
- A low rate of false positives
- Email and web protection
- A free trial period
- Any additional features you need
You also want to choose something that is easy and relatively intuitive to use. To get the most out of your software, you need to be able to adjust the settings to meet your specific needs.
Always avoid pop-up antivirus software ads that promise free scans and 100% detection rates, as these are almost always scams or viruses.
Can I get antivirus software for free?
- Pay for what you need. While premium antivirus software with extra features might be enticing, it’s only worth purchasing it if you need the additional protection. On the other hand, if you need a high level of security, don’t settle for free software. Carefully consider what you need and adjust your budget accordingly.
- Increased renewal costs. There is no guarantee that the price of your antivirus software won’t increase the next time you need to renew it. Some vendors even require advance notice of 30 to 60 days if you plan to unsubscribe before your renewal date. Make sure you read all terms and conditions of your software when signing up and budget for future renewals.
- File damage. If a computer file gets infected, you can’t always restore the data fully. Remember to back up all important information to prevent data loss.
Whether you need more security for your personal computer or an entire computer network, antivirus software can help. While antivirus software can’t protect you against 100% of malware, it is a crucial part of any computer security system.
If your data requires high levels of safeguarding, consider layering multiple software systems for added insurance. If you’re interested in protecting your computer, start browsing antivirus software today.
Frequently asked questions
- Also Read: Netflix New Zealand vs the world
Check out the range of films on ThreeNow:
- Watch films free on ThreeNow: If you’d rather not pay for Netflix, check out the movies on ThreeNow
More guides on Finder
How to increase your upload speed
With upload speeds possibly lagging behind download speeds in New Zealand, read our tips on how to improve your service.
Norton discount codes and coupons February 2021 | $20 off Norton Secure VPN
Whether you’re looking for antivirus software, a VPN, cloud backup or parental controls, Norton takes care of your cybersecurity needs.
Coronavirus: common scams to watch out for
Details on the most common scams to avoid during the coronavirus health crisis, plus tips for keeping your information safe online.
Bus and coach line insurance
Compare bus insurance options available from business insurance brands.
Professional indemnity insurance for travel agents
This guide looks at the exposures travel agents face and how PI insurance protects them from claims of negligence, error or omission.
Business contents insurance
Taking out insurance for your business contents is an essential consideration for all business owners. Read on to find out all about the ins and outs of business contents insurance.
How much will cyber liability insurance cost your business?
Discover the benefits of taking out Cyber Liability Insurance and what steps you can take to reduce the cost of your cover. Find out what Cyber Liability Insurance will cover you for in the event of a cyber attack.
Cyber security for small businesses
When hackers or other thieves search for digital prey, they sometimes look for easy targets like small businesses. Find out how to stay protected.
Trezor vs Ledger
Looking for a crypto hardware wallet? Compare the industry’s leaders side by side.
Best travel insurance for Europe: how to find a policy that works for you
Keep yourself and your belongings safe on your European escape by comparing insurance polices today.
Ask an Expert