Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
BNZ Credit Cards
With low interest rates, rewards and premium options, compare BNZ credit cards and find one to suit your needs.
BNZ credit cards can suit a range of Kiwi lifestyles and budgets. Depending on the card you choose, you can save on credit card costs or get rewards for your spending with Flybuys or cash bonuses.
BNZ is one of New Zealand’s largest financial institutions, and BNZ cards come with a variety of complimentary extras, including purchase and travel insurance and concierge services. Use this guide to compare the features and benefits of BNZ credit cards and decide if one is right for you.
Finder NZ does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
Credit cards on offer from BNZ
With a low rate, premium and business credit cards, and Flybuys and other rewards, BNZ has a selection of cards to meet the needs of a wide range of applicants. Compare the range of BNZ cards on offer to help you decide which card is best for you.
Low rate credit cards
If you typically repay a set amount on your card each month and are likely to carry a balance, then the BNZ Lite Visa could be an option. A low rate card is also beneficial if you use your card regularly as it reduces the amount of interest you pay on the balance. In addition, with less interest to pay, you can repay the balance more quickly as payments go towards your purchases and not just the interest. Other features include $15 half-yearly account fee, a 12.9% standard purchase interest rate and up to 55 days interest-free.
Rewards credit cards
BNZ has rewards cards to suit different needs, whether you want to collect Flybuys or prefer cashback for dollars spent. Below is a summary of the rewards you can earn with BNZ.
Flybuys reward programme
BNZ rewards cards offer you Flybuys rewards points, with the amount dependent on your credit card. For example, the BNZ Advantage Classic Credit Card earns you 1 Flybuys point for every $40 you spend. Once you save sufficient points, you can spend them on a wide range of rewards on the Flybuys website. The rewards on offer include technology, flights, accommodation and gift vouchers.
BNZ’s Advantage credit cards offer cashback rewards per dollar spent:
|Credit card||Amount Spent to earn $1 Cash Reward|
|BNZ Advantage Classic||$150 spend = $1 Cash Reward|
|BNZ Advantage Visa Platinum||$90 spend = $1 Cash Reward|
There are various ways you can utilise your Cash Rewards:
- You can use it to pay your credit card balance monthly
- Deposit them in your BNZ savings account, which means you will also earn interest
- You can arrange for your Cash Rewards to be automatically deposited in your BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme (if you have one)
Business credit cards
BNZ credit cards offer business owners convenience and the ability to take control of their spending. The Business First Lite Visa card, with a purchase interest rate of 14.95%, is suitable for small business owners. In comparison, the BNZ Advantage Visa Business card, with a purchase rate of 18.95%, is for larger companies. In addition, the Advantage Visa Business card also offers you up to 35-days of complimentary travel insurance, plus Flybuys or Cash Rewards.
BNZ also offers benefits in conjunction with other providers, which can help improve your company’s productivity and growth. These include Office 365, Xero and Zendesk.
Benefits of banking with BNZ
- Flybuys rewards. You can claim your rewards on the Flybuys website for many rewards ranging from household goods to flights, gift cards and more.
- Travel insurance. Holders of the BNZ Platinum credit card receive 3 months of complimentary travel insurance with their card. However, you must activate your travel insurance before leaving New Zealand. Make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully, which are available on the BNZ website.
- Contactless payments. BNZ credit cards work in conjunction with Apple Pay and Google Pay, so you can use your phone to make payments.
- BNZ app. The BNZ app lets you manage your credit card settings. For example, if you lose your card, you can use the app to block your card. You can also use the app to turn Visa payWave on or off.
- Fraud protection. All BNZ credit cards are protected with “Zero Fraud Liability”. If your credit card is used fraudulently, you are covered by this guarantee and will not have to pay for unauthorised spending on your account. In addition, there are secure payment systems in place to protect your online or in-store purchases, whether they are made in New Zealand or overseas.
How to apply for a credit card with BNZ
First, ensure you compare the credit card options BNZ has to offer with other card providers. Then, if you decide to apply with BNZ, you can complete the online application form at a BNZ branch or online with RealMe. If you’re not already a BNZ customer, you need to have had a transactional account with the bank for at least 3 months before you can apply. Ensure you understand what is required and organise the necessary documentation and information to improve your approval chances.
How do you qualify for a BNZ credit card?
You must be over 18 and a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for a BNZ credit card. The following information is required when you apply for a credit card:
- Employment and income (This includes properties you own and income from other sources)
- Weekly outgoings
- Any debt you may have
- Proof of identification, such as a passport, a photo driver’s licence or full birth certificate
- Proof of address, for example, Government agency document or utility bill
Frequently asked questions
If you have a question about BNZ credit cards, please read the questions below. If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, please get in touch using the “Ask the Expert” form at the bottom of this page.
More guides on Finder
BNZ Advantage Classic credit card
If you already have a BNZ transactional account, you can earn Flybuys Points or cash with the BNZ Advantage Classic credit card.
BNZ Advantage Visa Platinum Credit Card
When you apply for the BNZ Advantage Visa Platinum credit card, earn rewards faster and enjoy a range of insurance benefits and travel privileges.
BNZ Lite Visa
If you want a top quality credit card at a low cost, the BNZ Lite Visa is the perfect choice. This card offers low interest rates on purchases and an excellent balance transfer deal. You can have all of that for the low cost of just five dollars per month.
Ask an Expert