Is Orcon broadband right for me?
Orcon offers unlimited data plans and ultra-fast broadband options, including hyperfibre.
- The highlights: Power and mobile bundle options available; no moving house charge; free standard installation.
- Watch out for: Installation fees for hyperfibre. Must sign up for a minimum of 12-months; customer service isn’t available by phone.
Orcon first launched as a garage startup and quickly grew by introducing innovations to the New Zealand broadband market. It was the first company to launch ultra-fast fibre broadband with a network that is optimised for fibre.
Orcon no longer provides capped data plans so Kiwis can stream 4K or HD media without worrying how much data they’ve used, plus you can earn monthly discounts by switching to Orcon Power and Orcon Mobile.
If you’re looking for a new broadband plan, read on to find out what Orcon has to offer.
Types of plans offered by Orcon
All of Orcon’s broadband plans come with unlimited data. You can choose the type of connection based on what is available at your property and a contract term length to suit.
Fibre 300 is Orcon’s entry-level fibre plan with speeds of up to 319Mbps down/110Mbps up. Plans are for 12-months with a charge of $89.95 per month.
FibrePro is a good value option if you are looking for faster internet. It’s available on a 12-month plan at $99.95 per month and you can expect speeds of up to 875Mbps down/502Mbps up.
To have a fibre plan you will need to check that fibre is available at your place. You can do this by entering your address on the Orcon website.
Orcon is one of the first companies in New Zealand to offer the new hyper-fast Hyperfibre option. Orcon’s Hyperfibre speeds are even faster than the Pro Fibre plan, delivering up to 8000Mbps down/8000Mbps up. You need a special optical network terminal (ONT) to handle hyperfibre and Chorus will need to install this.
Hyperfibre plans include:
- Hyperfibre 2 – 2000 Mbps for $149.95 per month
- Hyperfibre 4 – 4000 Mbps for $184.95 per month
- Hyperfibre 8 – 8000 Mbps for $274.95 per month
All Orcon’s Hyperfibre plans are for 12-month contracts, with an install fee of $199.
How long does it take to get connected?
Fibre: If fibre has already been installed at your property, for example by a previous owner, you should be able to get connected within 5 to 10 business days. If fibre is available but hasn’t been connected at your house yet, Orcon will arrange for this to happen.
The fibre installation process involves at least a couple of visits from local technicians and could take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months depending on the building work required and if consents are needed. If you don’t own your home you will need consent from your landlord to have fibre installed, and consent is needed from neighbours if you share a driveway.
Are there any bundled extras with Orcon?
When you join Orcon broadband you can create your own bundle by selecting any of the following on the signup page.
- Homeline. An Orcon homeline starts at $10 a month, plus an additional $5 a month for national landline calling. You can add voicemail, caller ID and call waiting for $4 a month. There are landline to NZ mobile minute packages and also international calling packs that include 100 hours of calling to either 10, 20 or 50 countries.
- Orcon Power. Add Orcon Power and get 10% of both your power bill and your broadband bill if you pay on time each month.
- Orcon Mobile. Add an Orcon Mobile pay monthly plan and get $5 off each month. You can add up to four mobile plans for a maximum discount of $20.
- Static IP. For $10 a month, a static IP connects you with the same IP address every time you go online.
- Wiring insurance. To cover any wiring repairs, add wiring insurance for $3 a month.
- Family Filter. Family Filter protects your family from being exposed to inappropriate content. This service is free of charge for 12-months, then $5 per month after that.
- Google Nest WiFi. New customers can get 1x Google Nest WiFi for no additional cost per month, 2x Google Nest WiFi for $10 per month or 3x Google Nest WiFi for $20 per month. This is a mesh router system that delivers a strong Wi-Fi connection in every room. Suitable for large homes, those with multi levels or multiple devices streaming / gaming at the same time. A one-time delivery fee of $14.95 applies.
- No data caps. All Orcon broadband plans have unlimited internet with no hidden usage policies or data caps.
- Free standard installation. In most cases, standard installation and connection are free.
- No moving house charge. If you move house during your contract with Orcon, your connection will be transferred to the new address free of charge.
- ADSL or VDSL While You Wait. For customers that want a fibre plan and are waiting for fibre to be connected to their property, Orcon offers a While You Wait ADSL/VDSL plan. You’ll be sent a modem that can be used for both ADSL/VDSL and fibre, and transfer you to a fibre plan once it’s ready to go.
- Easy signup process. Orcon has a straightforward sign-up process online where you can add the extras you want and see a running total of what you can expect your bill to be each month.
What to be aware of
- If you choose a 12-month plan, make sure you are able to commit for this time period or you will need to pay an early termination fee of $250.
- Standard installations are free, but there is a $199 charge for connection and wiring if a technician needs to install a splitter jackpoint in your house. Hyperfibre also has a $199 installation fee.
- While Fibre Pro promises speeds of up to 950Mbps down/500Mbps up, this does depend on the server location and capacity. The national peak time average speeds for Fibre Pro is 875Mbps down/502 Mbps up.
- If you’re not using your own modem, a modem shipping fee of $14.95 will apply.
- If you need help with your account or plan, Orcon doesn’t have a customer service team you can reach by phone. All queries are managed by email.
Orcon broadband is worth considering if you are after an unlimited data plan and can commit to a 12- or 24-month contract. While the broadband plans are basic, you can choose to add on or bundle a number of extras to create a package to suit your household. By adding Orcon Power or Orcon Mobile, you can save more on your monthly bills.
It’s good to know that if you need to wait for fibre to get installed to your property, Orcon offers the ADSL/VDSL While You Wait plan so you stay connected. However, if you are the type of person that likes to be able to call when you have a problem, this is not possible with this provider as communication is managed over email.
More guides on Finder
Finder Broadband Awards 2021
Find out which broadband providers Kiwis are most likely to recommend in the inaugural Finder Broadband Awards.
ASB Visa Light credit card
No account fee, a low-interest rate and 0.0% interest on purchases over $1,000 for 6 months makes the ASB Visa Light worth considering.
81% of Kiwis facing streaming issues as broadband traffic breaks new record
Around 3 million New Zealanders may potentially face disruption to their broadband service as internet usage peaks during the shutdown. Find out how to minimise streaming dropouts.
What is Hyperfibre?
If you thought fibre was fast, Chorus Hyperfibre is about to shake things up. This new broadband technology is being rolled out in 2020.
How to switch broadband providers
How to switch broadband providers to get a better Internet deal.
No contract broadband plans
Looking for a broadband plan with no long term commitments? Compare casual broadband plans to get the best value for money.
Compare cheap broadband plans
You don’t have to spend heaps on your broadband. Find out how to compare plans and how to save with our guide.
Fibre broadband deals
Fibre broadband delivers the fastest internet speeds available. Compare ultra fast broadband plans to find the best value for your needs today.
Unlimited broadband deals
Unlimited broadband plans allow you to browse, download and stream without exceeding expensive data caps. Compare and apply here.
Data usage calculator: How much do you need?
Work out how much data you really need each month with this calculator.