NorthOne Business Banking review
This digital business bank account accepts cash deposits.
finder.com’s rating: 3.7 / 5.0
★★★★★NorthOne Business Banking is a true all-in-one solution for small business owners, startups and freelancers. It boasts unlimited free transactions, subaccounts to help you categorize your money and robust bookkeeping integrations. And unlike other digital bank accounts, this one accepts cash deposits. But it costs $10 a month.
$10 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$10 per month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$50|
|Intro or bonus offer||Waive your $10 monthly fee for the first three months when you sign up and open an account. After your first three months, you'll pay a monthly fee of $10. Offer valid from April 26, 2021 until July 22, 2022.|
|ATMs||withdraw cash at any Cirrus branded ATM location (+1,000,000 locations accross the U.S + 2m worldwide), including MoneyPass ATMs|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||0%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$0|
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
NorthOne claims its business banking account is “everything your business needs built into your phone,” and that couldn’t be more true. This account is jam-packed with features that save you time and money — unlimited free transactions, on-demand customer support, bookkeeping tools that manage your receipts and automatically categorize expenses, and more.
This account is best for business owners, freelancers or startups who want a digital, all-in-one banking platform that also accepts cash deposits. You’ll pay $10 a month for the account, but this price could be offset by nonexistent transaction fees and discounted wire transfer and international exchange fees.
If you’re not sure if NorthOne is for you, our Finder exclusive deal can help you save $10 off the monthly fee for the first three months, helping you decide if the features are worth it for your business and financial goals.
How do I open a NorthOne Business Banking account?
Open a NorthOne Business Banking account online using these simple steps:
- Click Apply now.
- From the official NorthOne website, click Open an Account.
- Enter your phone number and click Continue.
- Enter your email address and click Continue.
- Create your password and click Continue.
- Review NorthOne’s terms and conditions and click I agree.
- Verify your email address.
- Enter your personal information and click Continue.
- Enter your business information and click Continue.
- Follow the prompts to submit your application and fund your new account.
Open an account when you meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Valid Social Security number
- $50 opening deposit
You’ll need the following on hand when you open your account:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Government-issued photo ID number
- Business formation documents
Compare NorthOne Business Banking to similar accounts
We gathered a quick comparison of similar accounts to help you decide if NorthOne Business Banking is right for you. For more options, select “Compare accounts” to compare even more accounts for your banking needs.
Compare even more checking accounts
What are the benefits of a NorthOne Business Banking account?NorthOne Business Banking has standard features you know and love — Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation insurance, a Mastercard debit card, mobile check deposits, custom spending limits and a lock- and unlock-card feature. But it also has these perks:
- Unlimited free transactions. Most business accounts give you a set number of free deposits, transfers and payments each month and charge you about $0.50 for additional transactions. But NorthOne lets you make as many transactions as you’d like for free.
- Unlimited subaccounts. Create subaccounts for things like upcoming expenses, emergencies, and taxes and set rules to set aside money automatically.
- Accepts cash deposits. NorthOne is one of the few digital bank accounts we’ve seen that accepts cash and check deposits via an ATM — a rare find for those who regularly touch cash and want to bank digitally.
- Bookkeeping integrations. NorthOne saves you a ton of time at the end of the month by automatically importing and categorizing transactions from these bookkeeping and accounting platforms.
- On-demand customer support. Rather than waiting on hold, schedule a time for NorthOne to call you or you can live chat through the mobile app.
- Massive ATM network. You can access your money from more than 2 million ATMs around the world without paying any fees.
- Transparency. NorthOne Business Banking only charges two fees: its $10 monthly fee and a $15 fee for outgoing wires. Aside from those two, there are no other fees associated with this account.
- Free business banking offer. New NorthOne customers who sign up through North One’s offer page, won’t have to worry about the $10 monthly fee for the first three months.
NorthOne’s ATM network and feesNorthOne Business Banking lets you withdraw cash at any MoneyPass or Cirrus-branded ATM without paying any fees. This includes more than 2 million ATMs around the world, including more than 1 million locations in the US. But if you use an ATM that isn’t in either of these networks, the operator may charge you a fee, which NorthOne Business Banking won’t reimburse.
What should I look out for?
The NorthOne Business Banking account is packed with features that save you time and money, but there are still a few drawbacks worth noting:
- Unavoidable monthly fee. NorthOne has a flat $10 monthly fee that you can’t waive.
- No out-of-network reimbursements. NorthOne gives you free access to more than 1 million ATMs in the US and 2 million ATMs globally, but if you use an ATM outside that isn’t part of the Cirrus or MoneyPass networks, you won’t get reimbursed for any operator fees you incur.
How do I deposit or withdraw money?NorthOne Business Banking gives you more ways to access your money than most digital bank accounts:
- Direct deposit
- Cash or check deposit at an ATM
- Check deposit through the mobile app
- Wire transfer
- Transfer to another bank account
- At an ATM
- Wire transfer
- Cash back at a retailer
- Transfer to another bank account
How do I deposit cash at an ATM?
You can deposit cash at most NYCE and MoneyPass ATMs nationwide. Follow these steps:
- Log in to your NorthOne mobile app to search for an ATM that accepts cash deposits.
- Once you’re at the ATM, use your NorthOne debit card to unlock access to deposits.
- Deposit your cash or checks using the on-screen prompts.
Interview with Eytan Bensoussan – August 2020
CEO of NorthOne Business Banking
1. What inspired NorthOne Business Banking?
I grew up in a family of small business owners. As a child, I remember that they’d work nights and weekends to make sense of their business finances.
Years later, I worked at a large management consulting firm that served some of the biggest banks in the world. It became clear that banking wasn’t evolving at the same pace as small businesses. While small business owners were finding new ways to run their companies online, financial institutions continued doing things as they’d always done.
So I quit my job and worked to solve this problem. The mission was simple: Create a bank that would remove the painful back-office financial management work for business owners, so that they can focus on what really matters.
2. Who is NorthOne Business Banking best for?
NorthOne is built for any American small business, freelancer or startup. While any business builder can use NorthOne, we focus on folks who need a fast way of getting their banking done from anywhere.
3. One of the biggest downsides of digital banking is that you typically can’t deposit cash. What was your thinking behind making this an option for small business owners?
Cash is a reality for business owners and we don’t see that changing anytime soon. It was important for us to make sure that NorthOne was cash friendly. We have a network of more than 300,000 ATMs that our customers can use to make cash deposits.
4. Can business owners get debit cards for their employees? If so, can they restrict access to these cards?
Right now we only have debit cards for the owners of the business, but employee cards are coming soon! We’re excited to provide better banking services for teams and will be creating powerful and simple controls so that owners can make sure those cards are being used for their intended purposes.
5. Tell us a little bit about subaccounts and how customers can make the most of them.
We created subaccounts to make it easy to set aside money for big expenses like rent, payroll and taxes. Our customers can either set aside money in a subaccount all at once or use our smart savings tools to take a percentage of all revenue to have cash build up over time.
6. How does NorthOne save business owners money on bookkeeping?
NorthOne was created with the idea that you shouldn’t need a finance degree to run a small business. We connect to Quickbooks, Xero accounting, Etsy, and other tools that businesses might use. We also help bookkeepers complete their jobs faster. Every transaction has context so your bookkeeper won’t need to call you to ask the what, when or why for each purchase.
7. How does NorthOne business banking compare to other business bank accounts?
NorthOne has the features of a traditional full-service bank, with the simplicity and convenience of a modern digital bank. Most importantly, our pricing is easy to understand. You’ll pay $10 a month for unlimited banking. You don’t need to select from dozens of banking packages or worry about paying for each transaction.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.