Nationwide Money Market Plus account review
Earn 0.25% APY regardless of your balance, but you’ll pay a maintenance fee if it drops below $1,000.
finder.com’s rating: 3.4 / 5.0
The Nationwide Money Market Plus account, by Axos Bank, earns a decent 0.25% APY. But to avoid the $8 monthly maintenance fee, you’ll need to keep a daily balance of at least $1,000.
$8 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder specializing in home loans, banking and insurance. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed.org, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Like most money market accounts, the Nationwide Money Market Plus account offers free ATM and check-writing privileges. But other than its above-average 0.25%, there’s no overdraft protection and you’ll need to keep a daily balance of at least $1,000 to avoid the $8 monthly fee.
If you don’t need to write checks, Nationwide’s Regular Savings account comes with the same APY, and a much lower maintenance fee and minimum balance requirement to avoid it.
How do I open a Nationwide Money Market Plus account?
Open a Money Market Plus account in seven steps:
- Click Apply now.
- From the Nationwide/Axos Bank website, click Open an Account.
- Find the Money Market Plus account and select Open an Account.
- Choose whether or not you want to add an additional account.
- Create an account and click Start Application.
- Photo capture your ID or enter your information manually. Click Save & Continue.
- Enter your funding information and click Save & Continue.
- Review your details, read and accept the disclosures and submit your application.
You must meet the following requirements to open an account:
- At least 18 years old
- US resident or citizen
- Must not have a credit freeze on your credit report
- $1,000 minimum opening deposit
Have the following information ready before you apply:
- Social Security number
- US driver’s license or state ID
- Residential address
- Email address
Compare Nationwide Money Market Plus to similar accounts
We gathered a quick comparison of similar accounts to help you decide if Nationwide Money Market Plus is best for you. For more options, select “Compare accounts” to compare even more money market savings accounts.
Compare even more savings accounts
What are the benefits of a Nationwide Money Market Plus account?
Like most money market accounts, you’ll get a free ATM card and check-writing privileges. You’ll also get the following perks:
- Free starter checks. When you open your account, you can order free checks, but you’ll pay for shipping.
- Above-average rate. You’ll earn 0.25% APY no matter how much money you keep in the account. This rate is higher than the national average, but shy of other high-yield money markets.
- Reimbursed ATM fees. Get up to $10 of out-of-network ATM fees are reimbursed each month.
What should I look out for?
Keep the following drawbacks in mind before you apply:
- Monthly maintenance fee. You’ll pay $8 a month in maintenance fees unless you keep a daily balance of at least $1,000.
- High overdraft fees. If you overdraft on this account, you’ll have to pay $25 for each transaction, up to $75 a day in fees.
But if you want a savings account that offers higher rates, check out our best high-yield savings account guide.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
You can access your money in five ways:
- Mobile deposit. Use the Axos Bank mobile app to deposit checks.
- Wire transfer. Incoming wire transfers are free, but outgoing transfers are $35 for domestic and $45 for international wires.
- Checks. Use your check-writing privileges to withdraw funds.
- ACH transfer. Transfer money between banks over the phone or online for free.
- Green Dot network. Use your ATM debit card at retailers within the network to deposit funds, but the retailer usually charges a $4.95 fee.
What other savings options does Nationwide offer?
Nationwide offers the following personal and business savings account options through Axos Bank:
- Regular savings. Earn 0.25% APY regardless of your balance, but keep at least $300 in the account to avoid the $3 monthly fee.
- My Savings. You can earn 0.2% APY if you have a My Checking account and use direct deposit.
- Certificates of Deposit. Earn 0.4% APY on terms from three to 60 months with a $500 minimum deposit.
- IRA accounts. Choose from a traditional or Roth IRA CD and earn 0.4% APY.
- Business savings. Earn 0.2% APY with no maintenance fees or minimum balance requirements. You’ll need $200 to open the account.
How to contact Axos Bank customer service for Nationwide accounts?
You can contact customer service any time of the week in four ways:
- Call 855-232-2967.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill out the Request More Info form at the bottom of the website.
- Send mail to P.O. Box 509127 San Diego, CA 92150.
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.