Synergy One Lending mortgage review
This lender combines the best of technology and customer service to create a modern lending experience for borrowers.
Synergy One Lending’s Modern Mortgage Experience helps to simplify the home buying and refinancing process. With its S1 Connect app, you even can apply for a home loan from your mobile phone, but you need to be comfortable with technology to use it.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, Reverse, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NE, NM, OH, OK, OR, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WA, WI, WY|
Synergy One Lending requirements
To apply for a mortgage with Synergy One Lending, you can start an application online, download the S1 Connect app or contact a loan officer directly. While not listed on its website, basic eligibility for a traditional mortgage includes:
- Employment history for the past two years.
- Two months of bank account statements.
- No bankruptcy in the past two years.
- Debt-to-income ratio under 43%.
We couldn’t verify Synergy’s minimum credit score, but most lenders require a score of 620.
Here’s the information you’ll need to provide to Synergy One Lending on your application.
- Your personal information
- Currently monthly rent or mortgage payment
- Previous address and mailing address
- Past and present employment information
- Other sources of income and your assets
- Information about the home you want to purchase
- Estimated value of the home you want to purchase
- Co-borrower information, if applicable
- Social security number
Costs and fees
Synergy One Lending doesn’t list its costs and fees on its website. While we weren’t able to obtain this information after calling the company, these are the costs you can generally expect to pay:
- Loan processing fee
- Credit report fee
- Home appraisal fee
- Title insurance and state recording fees
- Other costs and fees
How to apply for a mortgage with Synergy One Lending
Here are the steps to take if you want to move forward with a mortgage from Synergy One Lending.
- Start a new application. You have a few options for starting a home loan application with Synergy One.
- Start an application from the website. Go to the Synergy One Lending website and select Apply Now. Follow the steps to complete the application.
- Download the S1 Connect app. Download the app from the Google Play or iTunes App Store, and open the app to begin the application.
- Contact a loan officer. Go to the Synergy One Lending website and choose Find a Loan Officer from the top menu.
- Provide electronic consent and receive disclosures. You’ll be asked to provide electronic consent to continue the application process. After providing consent, you’ll receive a disclosure package that explains the loan product and costs. Acknowledge and return the disclosure package.
- Get an appraisal. Synergy One Lending will help you find a local appraiser to determine your home’s value.
- Wait for processing and underwriting. After the appraisal is complete, Synergy One Lending puts your documentation together, underwrites the loan, and asks you to satisfy any remaining conditions.
- Close the loan. For the final step, you’ll acknowledge and sign off on the final terms of your loan.
What types of mortgages can I get through Synergy One Lending?
Other mortgage products offered by Synergy One Lending
Synergy One Lending also offers these specialized types of mortgages.
- Extended rate lock program. For new home developments, Synergy One Lending’s extended rate lock program allows buyers to lock in an interest rate for up to 360 days by paying a fee up front. The fee is nonrefundable unless the loan is declined.
- Renovation loans. This FHA 203(k) loan is a federally insured loan that is used to pay for renovations on a new home. The qualifications are the same as an FHA loan, and the loan can be used for both property purchase and repairs.
- Reverse mortgage. If you’re 62 or older, this loan allows you to tap into your home’s equity and use the money for any need. This is a nonrecourse loan, which means you’re not liable for more than the home’s value. However, this mortgage is not federally insured and comes with specific risks.
How Synergy One Lending‘s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared with other mortgage lenders, Synergy One Lending offers a standard range of loans including reverse and home improvement loans. What makes Synergy One Lending different from traditional lenders is its ability to streamline the lending experience with technology. For example, its S1 Connect app allows you to apply for a loan from anywhere, upload documents and eSign everything from your smartphone.
Compare mortgage lenders and brokersCompare these lenders and lender marketplaces by the type of home loan you're searching for, state availability and minimum credit score (for a conventional loan). Select See rates to provide the company with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
Synergy One Lending reviews and complaints
As of December 2020, Synergy One Lending had a 4.94/5 rating on Zillow from 133 customers and a 4.9/5 rating from SocialSurvey from over 13,000 customer reviews. On the Better Business Bureau, it is accredited through its parent company Mutual of Omaha. It has an A+ rating after closing eight complaints in the past three years.
Customers report being happy with the service they received from their loan officers, the level of expertise, the ease and simplicity of the process and the speed of closing times. As of this writing, we could not find any significant negative feedback from customers except for an occasional lapse of communication.
Pros and cons of Synergy One Lending
- All-digital verification. Synergy One Lending’s technology can connect directly to your financial accounts for immediate asset verification.
- S1 Connect app. Allows you to apply over your phone, compare rates, upload documents, eSign, track your application and connect with your loan officer all in one place.
- Eliminates guesswork. Instead of waiting for a call back, you can track your mortgage application in real time using the S1 Connect app.
- Logins required for account verification. While optional, to use Synergy One Lending’s account verification feature, you must provide login credentials to your financial accounts.
- Loan officers may not be available in every state. While Synergy One Lending is licensed in 45 states, you may not be able to find a loan officer in your state.
- Costs or fees not publicly listed. This lender doesn’t list its costs and fees on its website.
What is Synergy One Lending?
Synergy One Lending was founded in 2013 in San Diego, California and is now licensed in 45 states. Synergy One Lending was acquired by Mutual of Omaha Bank in 2018 to serve more customers looking for a traditional or reverse mortgage. Synergy One Lending is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mutual of Omaha Bank and continues to operate out of its headquarters in San Diego.
Frequently asked questions
Kat Aoki is a mortgage writer at Finder. Since 2011, she’s helped consumers make better financial decisions with their home loans, credit cards, insurance and more. As a business writer for the real estate, mortgage and personal finance industries, she’s written hundreds of helpful, informative articles for some of the leading brands around the globe that include iSelect, InfoChoice, realestate.com.au, GE Money and Amex. Kat earned a BS in Marketing from California State University, Sacramento. She enjoys travel, hiking and photography in her spare time.
Synergy One Lending has an excellent online reputation and comes highly recommended by previous customers. With its streamlined digital mortgage process and S1 Connect app, this lender may be a good choice for borrowers who are comfortable with technology and are looking for a faster digital loan experience. However, Synergy One Lending doesn’t list costs and fees on its website, so it’s worth checking around to see what other lenders charge.