Send funds to more than 200 countries and territories worldwide with MoneyGram.
Money transfers with MoneyGram are fast and secure, with multiple sending and receiving options.
But you’ll want to compare MoneyGram’s exchange rates with those of other independent money transfer providers to see which is the best for your specific situation.
|Product Name||MoneyGram International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||USD 1|
|Max. Transfer Amount||USD 2,999.99|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Phone, Bank Account to Bank Account, Cash Transfer|
|Transfer Options||Regular payments, One off payments, Market orders, Forward contracts|
Minimum transfer time
|Customer Service||Phone, Chat, Email, Branch|
|Available Currencies||AED, AUD, BND, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, FJD, GBP, HKD, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, JPY, KRW, KWD, LKR, MAD, MGA, MXN, MYR, NGN, OMR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, THB, TOP, TRY, TWD, USD, VND, VUV, WST, XOF, XPF, ZAR|
|Online Transfer Fee||4.99%|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Real time|
What is MoneyGram?
MoneyGram is a trusted provider of fast, secure money transfers. Founded in 1940, it has grown to include 350,000 agent locations worldwide — with 40,000 in the US alone. It charges low transaction fees and offers competitive exchange rates, and setting up a transaction online is surprisingly uncomplicated. In some areas, it offers home delivery as well as the option to send money to a debit card or mobile wallet.
How much does it cost to send money with MoneyGram?
MoneyGram makes its money from transfer fees and by padding the exchange rate for a profit.
MoneyGram’s transfer fees vary depending on where you are sending your money, how much you are sending, and your payment method. If you fund a transaction using your bank account, the fees you pay will typically be lower than if you pay with your credit or debit card.
For example, an online transfer of $1,000 to Mexico for cash pickup could incur a fee of $4 if sent from your bank account or $15 if you pay with your credit or debit card. Sending the same amount to India could attract a $6 fee for online transfers or $10 for credit or debit card transactions.
The best way to determine how much your transaction will cost is to use the Estimate Fees feature on MoneyGram’s website.
How are MoneyGram’s exchange rates?
Depending on where you’re sending your transfer, how much you’re sending, and how you’re paying for it, your exchange rate could be 5% above the mid-market rate. If you’re sending a large amount of money, this could mean hundreds of dollars that go straight into MoneyGram’s pockets.
MoneyGram gives you the opportunity to confirm your exact exchange rate before initiating your transfer.
Compare MoneyGram’s rates with those offered by banks and other transfer companies to see how its services stack up against the competition.
Minimum transfer amount and available countries
The minimum transfer amount is $250, and the maximum amount you can send to most countries is USD $2,999 per online transfer, with a maximum of USD $3,000 every 30 calendar days. Larger amounts can be sent from a MoneyGram agent location, while the minimum transfer amount varies depending on where you are sending your funds.
Available currencies to transfer to
Money transfers through MoneyGram are available in more than 200 countries, and the following currencies are supported:
Countries that MoneyGram does not send to
But, MoneyGram does not offer transfers to a range of countries including:
What types of transfers can you carry out with MoneyGram?
MoneyGram makes it possible to send using the following methods:
- Cash pickup. Your receiver can pick up the funds you send from more than 350,000 locations around the world.
- Account deposit. This safe and secure option allows you to send funds directly to your receiver’s bank account.
- Mobile wallet deposit. You can also send funds to your receiver’s M-PESA mobile account.
You can maximize your exchange rate by utilizing various type of transfer services, including:
- Spot transfers. These are transfers which allow you to lock in a spot rate and then make your transfer within two days. This means you can select a competitive rate and make a transfer when you’re ready.
- Limit orders. A limit order allows you to specify an exchange rate you want, and then wait until your rate is reached. Only then will your transfer be carried out, meaning you get to make a transfer at the rate which satisfies you. There’s a minimum amount of $30,000 with this type of transfer with MoneyGram.
- Forward contracts. A forward contract basically refers to you being able to lock in a rate now for a transfer in the future. MoneyGram allows you to settle in as little as two days or as long as 12 months, and is available for amounts above $30,000.
- Regular transfers. You can schedule regular transfers with MoneyGram in the event that you need to make regular transfers overseas. If you have fixed payments you can lock in an exchange rate upfront, or if you have non fixed payments, your rate will vary as per usual.
There are also multiple options when it comes to receiving cash. Money can be:
- Picked up from one of the 350,000 MoneyGram locations around the globe.
- Deposited directly into the receiver’s bank account.
- Deposited into the receiver’s mobile wallet.
- Deposited into an inmate’s county, state or federal correctional account.
The registration and transfer process
Sending money with MoneyGram is easy; you don’t even have to sign up for an account if you don’t want to. All you need to do is provide your recipient’s name, how much you wish to send and where the money will be sent to. Then you pay for the funds you send and any associated fees.
If you’re making a transfer, you can do so with cash in person at a MoneyGram Branch, or online.
To conduct a cash transfer with MoneyGram first find a MoneyGram agent and bring some identification, including a passport or driver’s license, and then complete the money transfer form. You’ll then need to contact the recipient and give them the reference number.
Sending money to a bank account overseas with MoneyGram is also simple. All you need to do is log in to your account and specify the amount you’re transferring, and then accept the quote.
Then, you’ll need to send MoneyGram the money, and they’ll send it to the recipient. Money is usually transferred to the recipient within one to two days of sending it to MoneyGram.
Tracking your transfer
MoneyGram offers two options for tracking the status of a transfer. The first option is to login to your online account and view your transaction history. If you haven’t created an online account, or if you are the person designated to receive the transaction, you can use the transaction authorization number or reference number and use MoneyGram’s online ‘Track a Transfer’ tool.
If you ever need help with a transaction, MoneyGram’s online FAQ section may have the answer you need. 24-hour phone support is also available if you’d like to speak to a customer service rep, while email support is also an option.
What do I need to send money through MoneyGram?
Unlike other money transfer services, MoneyGram does not require you to create an account to send cash. Whether in person or online, you’ll need:
- Your full name and contact information. If you’re transferring money from your bank account, you’ll also need your banking information.
- Government-issued ID. Such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Your recipient’s name and contact information. If you’re transferring to a bank account, you’ll also need their bank name, SWIFT code and account number.
- A valid method of payment. Online you can pay by bank account, credit card or debit card. In person, you can also pay with cash.
If your recipient will be picking up cash in person, let them know to bring along a required ID.
Steps to transferring your money online with MoneyGram
Step 1. Go to MoneyGram’s website and click “Send Money.” You can either create an account or send your transfer as a guest.
Step 2. Complete your recipient’s name and country. Indicate how you would like for them to receive your money and in what currency.
Step 3. Choose your method of payment and confirm your fees. Click “Next.”
Step 4. Fill in your banking and contact information.Once complete, confirm that your information is correct and submit. MoneyGram will email confirmation and a tracking number for your order within minutes.
What happens next?
- Cash pickup within minutes. Your recipient can pick up your transfer at a MoneyGram location shortly after it’s complete. For bank account transfers, the money is available within 24 hours.
- Track your transfer. With the Track a Transfer tool, you can use your last name and confirmation number to follow your transaction through to receipt.
- Contact customer service. If you need help, call 24/7 toll-free at 1-800-666-3947 or complete a help form online.
Compare Moneygram to other providers
|Compare Moneygram to…||See Comparison|
|MoneyGram vs. CurrencyFair|
|MoneyGram vs. HiFX|
|MoneyGram vs. OFX|
|MoneyGram vs. Ria|
|MoneyGram vs. TransferWise|
|MoneyGram vs. Western Union vs. Paypal|
|Western Union vs. MoneyGram|
|MoneyGram vs. WorldRemit|
Pros and cons of using MoneyGram
- Different transfer types available. MoneyGram allows you to carry out forward contracts, limit orders, spot transfers, and even allows cash transfers.
- Global provider. MoneyGram has more than 350,000 agent locations in more than 200 countries.
- Transfer options. From online or in-person transfers to collection via cash pick up or deposit into a bank account or mobile wallet, MoneyGram offers a wide range of transfer options.
- Powered by OFX. OFX is a trusted foreign exchange service with offices around the globe.
- Large number of countries and currencies supported. MoneyGram allows you to send money to 197 countries in a large range of currencies.
- Low maximum amount. MoneyGram only allows you to transfer a maximum of USD $2,999 online, so you may need to look elsewhere if you want to transfer more than this amount.
The next time you need to send cash overseas, consider the benefits, fees, and features of MoneyGram’s international money transfer options. It’s also a good idea to compare MoneyGram’s services with those of other providers to ensure that you can save money on your next international funds transfer.
Frequently asked questions about MoneyGram
Do I need to create an account to send an online transfer?
No, you are free to sign in to MoneyGram online as a guest if you wish.
Which countries can I send money to?
There’s not enough space here to list all the 200+ countries MoneyGram can send funds to; access the MoneyGram website for a full list.
Can I send my funds directly to someone’s bank account?
Yes you can. Simply select ‘Account Deposit’ as your receive option when entering the details of your transaction.
Can the money be picked up in a different country from the one I sent it to?
No, this option is not available due to security reasons.
Does MoneyGram offer phone transfers?
This option is currently not available. You can only send a transfer online or by visiting an agent location.
Can I send money to Kenya or Tanzania using MoneyGram?
How can I see my transaction history?
When you login to your account, any recent transactions you have completed will be displayed on your homepage and you’ll also see a link that lets you ‘view all’. If you haven’t made any transfers recently you will have to click on ‘My Account’ and then ‘Transaction History’ to view the relevant details.
Can I cancel a money transfer?
Yes, if it hasn’t yet been picked up by your recipient. To cancel a transfer, log in to your account and view your transaction history. There is an option to cancel specific transfers on the Transaction Details page. If you sent the transaction online but do not have an account, first use MoneyGram’s Track a Transfer tool to find it and then cancel it on the Transaction Details page.
How can I find a local MoneyGram agent?
Use MoneyGram’s Find a Location tool to search for agent locations worldwide.
How secure is the MoneyGram website and money transfer service?
MoneyGram uses state-of-art and proven technologies to protect and secure your personal information. They are committed to protecting your privacy and financial information.
How safe is a money transfer?
When processed through a reputable bank or company, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. And if you’re sending money internationally, federal protections are in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees up front and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.