Tax season can be stressful on top of everything else you have going on. Fortunately, H&R Block can simplify the experience. H&R Block software solutions are known for being a secure way to file your taxes. It’s free to import last year’s W-2 and 1099 information, and the solutions promise 24/7 data protection. H&R Block also double-checks your return for potential issues before you file anything.
If you need to file a past return, back editions are available for both federal and state programs, and you can download software product updates.
What are H&R Block software solutions?
You can choose between a few H&R Block software solutions. Each offers a simple and secure way to file your taxes and uses secure data technology. If you decide on a software package, you can enjoy free audit support and up to five free federal e-files. In addition, all software products include free tax expert advice, free in-person audit support and a maximum refund guarantee.
H&R block software solutions options:
- Free Federal Edition — a free way to file your federal taxes that’s best for simple returns. With this package, the state fee is only $27.99.
- Basic ($29.95) — best for simple tax situations. The state fee is $36.99.
- Deluxe ($54.95) — best for homeowners or investors. The state fee is $36.99.
- Premium ($74.95) — best for self-employed or rental property owners. The state fee is $36.99.
- Premium & Business ($89.95) — Best for small business owners, but available for Windows only. The state fee is $36.99.
H&R Block’s state tax prep software has the ability to import your federal data into your state return. It guides you through the process step by step and works for all states. You can purchase it, if needed.
Who is H&R Block for?
Experience with taxes or not, all types of people use H&R Block’s services for a successful experience. Services are known for being user-friendly, and the company does not cram in confusing tax jargon. H&R Block also offers a lot of resources and step-by-step guides.
H&R Block Features
- Filing options. H&R Block gives you the choice of meeting in an office or working with one of the available online or software options.
- Free options. H&R Block boasts being “the land of the free.” If you have a simple tax return like a 1040EZ or 1040A, file your federal and state tax return online for free. You can purchase more complex return software, if needed.
- Refund reveal. In real time, H&R Block lets you see how and why your refund amounts change.
- Easy to use. The company’s software is easy to use and known for yielding accurate returns. It catches mistakes and don’t use confusing tax lingo. The layout is clean and not at all scattered.
- Mobile app. H&R Block’s inclusive app lets you complete your taxes on your smart device — even complicated tax situations that require the Deluxe and Premium packages.
- Bookmarking. As you complete information, you can bookmark sections to come back to later. This feature is convenient if you get confused about something and want to take a fresh look later. However, the software will not let you skip ahead to work on future sections.
- Downloadable. You can download software, if you prefer doing your taxes offline.
What to watch out for
- More expensive. In general, H&R Block is not the cheapest tax solution out there. But H&R Block is known for having a relatively good track record with customers.
- Lacks automatic deductions. H&R Block does not automatically suggest deductions as much as other companies and software.
- Additional fee. Look out for an additional refund processing fee. For example, the H&R Block Deluxe online package will set you back $34.95 for the refund processing fee if you pay out of your federal refund.
How do I use H&R Block?
H&R Block tries to simplify the tax process. Each section in the software starts with an overview, a checklist and a list of documents you might need.
H&R Block offers three options to file state and federal taxes: face to face, online or through its software.
File your taxes online anytime and from any device. Prices are sometimes on sale. With the online option, choose from:
- Free Edition — free for both federal and state filing; best for new filers or simple tax returns.
- Deluxe Edition ($54.99) — best for homeowners and deductions; $36.99 per state filed.
- Premium Edition ($79.99) — best for investors and small business owners; $36.99 per state filed.
In the office
File in an office with a tax professional, or drop off your return and leave. The in-person option is ideal if you don’t want to deal with your complicated taxes.
If you go with one of the software solutions, choose from Basic, Deluxe, Premium and Premium & Business.
About H&R Block as a company
H&R Block has been in the tax service industry since 1955. Headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, H&R Block specializes in banking, payroll, personal finances and business consulting services. It handles tax preparation in North America, Australia, Brazil and India. H&R Block has prepared over 650 million tax returns and has over 11,000 franchises across the United States.