Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

How to find unclaimed money or missing assets you’re due

State governments and treasuries are holding billions of dollars that just might be yours.

About one in 10 people have unclaimed, missing or forgotten assets waiting for them, according to the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators. Each state has a system to reunite unclaimed property with its rightful owners. And you can search these government databases for free.

What is unclaimed property?

Unclaimed property is cash and other assets a financial institution or company holds and considers abandoned by the owner after a year or longer. After the state’s designated period of inactivity or no contact from the owner, the property is turned over to state treasurers and other officials.

Types of unclaimed property include:

  • Account overpayments
  • Checking or savings balances
  • Credit unions deposits
  • Dividends or payroll checks
  • FHA-insured mortgage refunds
  • Life insurance policies and payments
  • Royalty payments
  • Tax and other refunds
  • Utility and other security deposits

How to file a request for unclaimed property

Search for and reclaim property for free in most states, starting with unclaimed property sites:

  1. Go to your state’s unclaimed property site. If you’ve lived in multiple areas, check each state’s site too.
  2. Enter your last name and search for unclaimed property or cash. If you’re married, search your maiden name as well.
  3. Confirm your identity. Verify your name, address and other identifying information to prove your ownership.
  4. File a claim. Each state has its own process but generally allows you to initiate a claim online and then mail in a completed, notarized claim form, if needed.
  5. Submit documentation. Most states require:
    • A signed and notarized paper claim form.
    • A copy of your driver’s license.
    • A copy of your Social Security card.
    • Proof of address to show the property is yours.

How can I recover someone else’s unclaimed property?

In rare circumstances, it’s possible to claim property that involve loved ones or businesses you might have co-owned.

Expect to provide additional personal, financial and other details that depend on the ownership situation:

  • Property on behalf of a minor. You may need to provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate when attempting to claim property on behalf of a minor.
  • Property on behalf of a deceased relative. Submit a copy of the property owner’s death certificate, will or trust to claim the property.
  • Property on behalf of an estate. Court-appointed estate representatives can submit a claim with the owner’s Social Security number and other identifying details.
  • Property on behalf of a business owner. Typically, proof of company incorporation or a DBA showing ownership is needed to establish ownership.

How to find unclaimed money by state

In addition to hosting designated unclaimed property websites, most states participate in multistate databases that house collective records.

Two sites the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators endorses are and

Tips for finding unclaimed money

Follow these pointers to help you track down your unclaimed property:

  1. Keep a list of your accounts and assets. A list can help you keep tabs on your property to avoid the chance for states to take over an inactive account. It’s also a handy overview for any heirs to know what to look for when you die.
  2. Extend your search across states. It’s good to start with the states you’ve lived in, but it doesn’t hurt to enter your info in all 50 states and DC. Sometimes unclaimed money is held in the state in which a creditor or account is based, rather than where you lived.
  3. Think about unclaimed money belonging to deceased relatives. It might take special keywords to unearth money owed to your relatives if they’re not alive. Experts say to enter such terms as “payable on death,” “beneficiary” or “estate of” in the last name field before searching.
State Website Phone number Claim process Processing time
Alabama 888-844-8400 Start your claim online and mail your notarized form and documentation to: Unclaimed Property Division Office of the State Treasurer PO Box 302520, Montgomery, AL 36130-2520 You can also deliver your claim and information in person. 6–8 weeks
Alaska 907-465-3726 File a claim through the state's MissingMoney page. You'll receive an email outlining your next steps in the claim process. Varies by claim
Arizona 602-364-0380 File a claim through, and you'll receive instructions on how to proceed. 2 weeks
Arkansas 501-682-6000 Submit a claim online and upload your documents on its website. Varies by claim
California 800-992-4647 Some claims can be filed electronically, while others, such as claims totaling $1,000 or more, must be signed and notarized. Send your documents and claim form to: State Controller’s Office Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 942850 Sacramento, CA 94250-5873 30-60 days for claims that involve cash only. 180 days for complex cases, such as those involving multiple owners.
Colorado 303-866-6070 Start your claim online and upload or mail your documents to: The Great Colorado Payback Office 1580 Logan Street Suite 500 Denver, CO 80203 Varies by claim
Connecticut 800-833-7318 Start your claim online and then mail your completed form to: Office of the State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 5065, Hartford CT 06102 Varies by claim
Delaware 855-505-7520 Submit your claim on its website. You can upload your documents, mail them to: State of Delaware Unclaimed Property Office PO Box 8140 Wilmington, DE 19803-8140 You can also fax your black and white documentation to 302-622-4115. Varies by claim
Florida 888-258-2253 Initiate your claim online and then send your completed application to: Florida Department of Financial Services Division of Unclaimed Property PO Box 8599 Tallahassee, FL 32314-8599 90 days
Georgia 855-329-9863 Follow the prompts on the state's Department of Revenue's website to create a claim. You'll receive additional instructions if you need to mail a printed form and submit required documentation. Varies by claim
Hawaii 808-586-1589 Sign and mail a claim form to: State of Hawaii Unclaimed Property Program PO Box 150 Honolulu, Hawaii 96810 You'll need a notarized signature if the claim is valued at $50 or more, consists of stock or mutual funds or is regarding the contents of a safe deposit box. Varies by claim
Idaho 208-332-2942 Initiate a claim online to receive a form with your claim number. Upload required documents on its website. 90 days
Illinois 800-961-8303 Start a claim on its website. Mail your notarized claim form and documentation to: Office of the Illinois State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 19495 Springfield, IL 62794-9495 90 days
Indiana 866-462-5246 Create a claim on Indiana's Unclaimed Property Division website. Submit documentation online or mail them to: Office of the Indiana Attorney General Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 2504 Greenwood, IN 46142 90 days
Iowa 515-281-5367 Initiate a claim on the Great Iowa Treasure Hunt website. Upload your documents in the portal or mail them to: Great Iowa Treasure Hunt Lucas State Office Building 321 E 12 th Street, 1st Floor Des Moines, IA 50319 4-6 weeks
Kansas 785-296-4165 Submit a paperless claim on its website. Requests for additional documents will be sent to your email. 2 weeks
Kentucky 800-465-4722 Create a claim at Mail your paper claim form to: Kentucky State Treasury Unclaimed Property Division 1050 U.S. Highway 127 South, Suite 100 Frankfort, KY 40601 Varies by claim
Louisiana 888-925-4127 Start a claim on its website. Mail your documentation and notarized claim form (for claims $1,000 or more) to: PO Box 91010 Baton Rouge LA 70821-9010 90 days
Maine 207-624-7470 Create a claim on its website and mail your documentation and notarized claim form (for claims valued over $1,500) to: Office of the State Treasurer Attn: Unclaimed Property 39 State House Station Augusta, ME 04333-0039 Varies by claim
Maryland 410-767-1700 Mail a claim form with supporting documentaiton to: Comptroller of Maryland Unclaimed Property Unit 301 West Preston Street, Room 310 Baltimore, MD 21201-2385 6-8 weeks
Massachusetts 617-367-0400 Initiate an online claim. Eligible claims are fast-tracked. If you receive a paper claim form, upload the requested documents to its website or send them to: Office of the State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division One Ashburton Place, 12th Floor Boston, MA 02108 Varies by claim
Michigan 517-636-5320 Start a claim on its website. Upload the requested documents, including a notarized claim form, or mail them to: Unclaimed Property Michigan Department of Treasury PO Box 30756 Lansing, MI 48909 120 days
Minnesota 651-539-1545 Print and mail your notarized claim form and requested documents to: Minnesota Commerce Department 85 7th Place East, Suite 500 St. Paul, Minnesota 55101-2198 90 days
Mississippi 601-359-3534 Submit your claim online or by mail. Send your notarized form and documentation to: Office of the State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 138 Jackson, MS 39205 8 weeks
Missouri 573-751-0123 Follow the prompts to file a claim on Missouri's unclaimed property website. Varies by claim
Montana 406-444-6900 Add a property to your cart and click "Proceed" to start the claim process. Follow the instructions to submit specific documentation. Varies by claim
Nebraska 402-471-8497 Download, print and mail your notarized claim form to: State Treasurer John Murante 809 P Street Lincoln, NE 68508-1390 Several weeks
Nevada 702-486-4140 Submit a claim form to: Nevada Unclaimed Property 555 E. Washington Avenue Suite 5200 Las Vegas, Nevada 89101 Your form must have a notarized signatture if the claim is valued at $500 or more. 90 days
New Hampshire 603-271-2619 Search and start the claim process on its website. You can also upload documents online. Varies by claim
New Jersey 609-292-9200 File a claim on its website and the application should instruct you on your next step. Varies by claim
New Mexico 505-827-0700 New Mexico directs its residents to file a claim on 90 days to approve a claim, and an additional 30 days to pay the claim.
New York 800-221-9311 File and submit your claim and documentation online. Or mail your claim packet to: Office of the State Comptroller Office of Unclaimed Funds 110 State Street Albany, NY 12236 For online claims, you'll get a check in two weeks. If you submited your claim by mail, you'll get a confirmation letter within 30 days and a check in an additional four to six weeks. Complicated claims may take longer.
North Carolina 866-622-2741 Begin your claim online, but you'll still need to mail a claim form and documentation to: Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 20431 Raleigh, NC 27619-0431 90 days
North Dakota 701-328-2800 You can initiate a claim online, but most applications also require a signed claim form. Upload documentation in the portal or mail everything to: Unclaimed Property Division 1707 N 9th Street Bismarck, ND 58501-1853 Varies by claim
Ohio 614-466-4433 Kick off the process and initiate a claim online. Mail the signed claim form with documentation to: Ohio Division of Unclaimed Funds 77 S. High Street, 20th Floor Columbus, OH, 43215-6108 Your form must be notarized for claims $1,000 or more. 120 days
Oklahoma 405-521-4273 Get your claim underway by filing online. Mail a claim form with additional documents to: Office of the State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division 9520 N. May Ave., LL Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73120. Varies by claim
Oregon 503-986-5200 File a claim online. Upload the requested documents or mail your signed claim form with supporting evidence to: Unclaimed Property Section Department of State Lands 775 Summer Street NE, Suite 100 Salem, OR, 97301-1279 120 days
Pennsylvania 800-222-2046 Begin your claim online. Mail your claim form and documents to: Bureau of Unclaimed Property PO Box 1837 Harrisburg PA 17105-1837 Varies by claim
Rhode Island 401-462‑7676 Submit a claim on Rhode Island's Unclaimed Property website. Upload the remaining documents or mail them to: Rhode Island Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 1435 Providence, RI 02901-1435 Varies by claim
South Carolina 803-737-4771 Open a claim on its website. Submit your documentation online or mail them to: South Carolina State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Program 1200 Senate Street, Suite 214 Wade Hampton Building Columbia, SC 29201 4-12 weeks
South Dakota 605-773-3379 After initiating a claim on its website, either email your signed claim form and documents to, or mail your application to: SD State Treasurer - UCP 124 E Dakota Ave Pierre, SD 57501 Varies by claim
Tennessee 866-370-9429 Start you claim online, and follow the prompts on your next steps. Varies by claim
Texas 800-321-2274 Initiate a claim on its website. Submit additional documentation based on your confirmation email or letter. Upload the requested documents in the portal or mail them to: Comptroller of Public Accounts Unclaimed Property Claims Section PO Box 12046 Austin, TX 78711-2046 Varies by claim
Utah 801-715-3300 Submit a claim on Utah's Unclaimed Property website. Upload a signed claim form and additional documents or mail them to: Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 140530 168 N 1950 W Suite 102 Salt Lake City, UT 84116 90 days
Vermont 802-828-2407 Print and send a signed claim form with documentation to: Vermont Unclaimed Property Division State Treasurer's Office 109 State Street Montpelier, VT 05609-6200 Claims valued at $200 or more must be notarized. Express claims are processed within five days.
Virginia 800-468-1088 Initiate a claim and mail your claim form and evidence to: Virginia Department of the Treasury Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 2485 Richmond, VA 23218-2485 6-8 weeks
Washington 360-534-1502 File your claim and upload supporting evidence on the website. You can also mail your claim by choosing the mail in option from the Provide Proof page after your search. 60 days. Claims involving stocks or mutual funds may take longer.
Washington D.C. 202-727-2476 Submit a claim online and then upload your documents. You can also mail you signed claim form and requested documentation to: D.C. Office of Finance and Treasury Unclaimed Property Unit 1101 4th St. SW, Suite 800W Washington, DC 20024 Varies by claim
West Virginia 800-642-8687 Kick start the claim procedure online. Either upload your documents or mail your signed claim form with additional documentation to: Office of State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division PO Box 4228 Charleston, WV 25364 90 days
Wisconsin 608-264-4594 Claim your property on the Department of Revenue's website. Submit the required documents online, but mail the Transfer By Affidavit form and the notarized claim form to: Unclaimed Property PO Box 8982 Madison, WI 53708-8982 8 weeks
Wyoming 307-777-5590 File a claim and submit documents through the Wyoming State Treasurer Unclaimed Property website. 2 weeks. A claim specialist with work with complex claims, which take more time.

Where else can I find unclaimed property?

Search a range of official databases to find unclaimed tax refunds, bonds, pension balances and more:

How much does filing to recover unclaimed money cost?

It’s free to search and initiate a claim online. Most states also require you to mail in a signed and notarized claim form, along with your supporting documents. A notary public may charge a fee for this service, which will likely run about $5 to $10 per signature, though your bank or a public library might do it for free.

Companies that call themselves finders or locators might advertise a finder’s fee to search for unclaimed money on your behalf. While the businesses are legitimate, the wide range of free sites means you can do it yourself for free.

Also be wary of scammers claiming to be from the government and offering to send you unclaimed money for a price. Unlike legitimate locators, they often don’t require a signed contract and may try to quickly get money or personal information up front before running off with it.

Bottom line

The government holds billions of dollars in unclaimed assets, with states returning an estimated $3 billion in assets and property to their rightful owners annually, according to industry associations.

But you don’t need to hire a firm to help you track down what’s yours: It takes minutes to search official databases and file a claim to recover money — for free.

Frequently asked questions

How can I recover unclaimed, missing or forgotten property from deceased relatives?

Start by contacting the agency in charge of unclaimed property in your state. To file a claim on behalf of a deceased relative, you’ll typically need their Social Security number and other identifying information, including documentation of your relationship or right as legal heir.

How does the Department of Treasury cover foreign unclaimed money?

Yes, but claims first must be approved as valid through the Foreign Claims Settlement Commission. If the FCSC decides a claim is valid, the Department of Treasury pays the claim.

What happens to my claim if I have outstanding debt?

In most cases, the state will process your claim, but a government agency could intercept the funds to pay any debts you owe. If so, your check stub should include contact information for the agency that diverted your money.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site