Cash is the top investment option for people in Hong Kong, with 21.5% of those surveyed saying they think cash will be the best performing investment in 2022, according to a survey of 1,005 Internet users.
While cash may be king in 2022 for those surveyed, stocks, shares or ETFs are also a popular option at 21.3% as is cryptocurrency at 14.9%.
How are the sexes investing?
While cash is the most popular investment option for people in Hong Kong, the sexes are split on how they’ll be investing in 2022, with 24.2% of men saying they think stocks, shares or ETFs are the top option compared to 22.7% of women who think investing in cash is safest.
How investing preferences differ by age
While cash is the asset class that people across the various age categories think will perform the best on average in 2022, it’s not the top choice for everyone.
Cash is king around the globe: 24.5% think cash will reign supreme in 2022As far as the most popular investment option globally goes cash is king, with 24.5% of those surveyed around the globe saying it's the safest investment option in 2022. Nowhere was cash a more popular investment choice than in the US, where 33.7% of Internet users surveyed said thought cash is a solid investment this year.
Respondents were also bullish on property, with roughly 22.6% saying it's best to put your money into bricks and mortar this year. Those most likely to be investing in property are in France, where 43.5% of those users surveyed believe property is a decent bet for 2022.
Rounding out the top three most popular investment options are stocks, shares or ETFs with 17.2% thinking they will see the greatest returns in the coming 12 months. The country most likely to be throwing its money into the stock market is Japan (44.3%).
The least popular investment option in 2022 are NFTs, with just 5.9% globally thinking they're a safe bet. However, at least 14.2% in Hong Kong think NFTs are worth the risk.
MethodologyFinder used Google Survey to poll 39,573 Internet users across 26 countries. Due to the varying Google infrastructure in each territory, not all surveys were nationally representative. Where a nationally representative sample was unavailable, a natural fall/convenience sample was used. For these, Google didn't use stratified sampling but did apply weights to the survey results if the demographics of the survey respondents didn't vary too far from demographics data. The details of Google's survey methodology can be found here.
- Argentina: A convenience sample of 1,208
- Australia: A convenience sample of 1,002
- Austria: A convenience sample of 1,207
- Brazil: A representative sample 2,001
- Canada: A convenience sample of 1,200
- Chile: A convenience sample of 1,225
- Colombia: A convenience sample of 1,507
- France: A convenience sample of 1,503
- Germany: A representative sample of 2,002
- Hong Kong: A convenience sample of 1,005
- India: A convenience sample of 2,511
- Ireland: A convenience sample of 1,223
- Italy: A convenience sample of 1,501
- Japan: A representative sample of 2,001
- Mexico: A representative sample of 2,001
- New Zealand: A convenience sample of 1,001
- Singapore: A convenience sample of 1,136
- South Africa: A convenience sample of 1,204
- Spain: A representative sample of 1,501
- Sweden: A convenience sample of 1,204
- Switzerland: A convenience sample of 1,202
- The Netherlands: A convenience sample of 1,201
- The Philippines: A convenience sample of 2,008
- Turkey: A convenience sample of 2,006
- United Kingdom: A representative sample of 2,001
- United States: A convenience sample of 2,012
More guides on Finder
Valuable Capital Review
Thinking of trading stocks with Valuable Capital? Read our review of VBKR’s services, ease of use, safety, fees and pros/cons of this investment platform.
Guide to trading services provided by Longbridge / Long Bridge HK Limited
uSMART Securities Review
Your guide to Hong Kong’s uSMART Securities – fees, features and functions. This trading platform offers smart strategy, streaming quotes etc. It also offers basic and pro accounts.
Saxo Markets Review
Saxo Markets offers different trading accounts in Ireland with varied pricing tiers to suit your investment needs.
What does the future hold for investments?
Finder speaks with 33 investment experts about what the future of investing might hold.
Hong Kong share trading statistics
Coronavirus-induced economic conditions have led to big movements in the global equities market and Hong Kong has not been immune.
Ask an Expert