While you might try Extra out with monthly payments, you’ll want to switch to an annual payment as soon as possible. Annual payments save you $91 per year for the Credit Building plan and $101 for the Rewards + Credit Building plan.
|Credit Building||$149 per year, $20 per month|
- Builds credit
- Monitors your credit
|Rewards + Credit Building||$199 per year, $25 per month||Everything in the Credit Building plan, plus:|
- Rewards for every purchase
- Access to Extra‘s Rewards store
Applying for a debit card only takes a few minutes and you won’t get a credit check during the sign-up process.
- Select Apply now.
- Tick the box that asks you if you’re at least 18 years old and select Begin application.
- Enter your phone number and email address and select Continue.
- Enter the verification code sent to your phone and select Continue.
- Provide your personal information and link a funding source.
- Once approved, fund your Extra card and wait for it to arrive in the mail, which may take up to 10 business days.
You must meet the following eligibility requirements to get an Extra debit card.
- At least 18 years old
- US bank account
- US mailing address
Provide the following information during the application process.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Physical address
- Social Security number or ITIN
- Routing and account numbers from a US checking account
The Extra debit card works by connecting it to your bank account. Extra does not perform a credit check, but the company will determine your spending limit based on your current bank balance, payment history, and whether you’ve verified your identity. When you make a purchase with your Extra card, Extra pays for it. On the following business day, Extra debits the same amount from your checking account. Then, at the end of the month, Extra adds up all of your transactions and reports the amount to major credit bureaus, which can prove you are a responsible borrower.
The Extra debit card has a few standout features that might entice you to open an account.
- Builds credit. Every purchase you make with your Extra card can help you build credit.
- No credit check. You get most of the benefits of a credit card without having a credit inquiry on your record.
- Earn rewards. Unlike most debit cards, this card earns points you can use in Extra‘s rewards store. According to a customer representative, most users receive up to 1% back on most purchases.
- Virtual card. While it will take up to 10 business days to receive your card, you can start using the virtual card right away.
- Connects to your account. You won’t need to open a new bank account to use Extra. It works by linking to your bank account as long as it belongs to the 10,000+ banks connected with Extra.
- Can be used for credit card or loan payments. As long as the transaction amount matches your Spend Power, you can use your Extra card to pay off your credit card or loan balance to have more positive payments on your credit history.
The Extra card also has some significant drawbacks to bear in mind before opening an account.
- Annual fee. Most standard debit cards that come with fees give you options to waive it, but this one doesn’t. You’ll pay $149 per year for the Credit Building plan or $199 per year for the Credit Building + Rewards plan.
- Limited spending. When you first sign up, the amount you can spend on your Extra debit card is capped at $10. Your spending power increases once you verify your identity and continues to go up as you establish a positive payment history. Your bank account balance also determines how much you can spend.
- Limited rewards. You’ll only earn up to 1 cent in rewards for every dollar you spend, and you can only redeem your rewards points in Extra‘s store.
- No ATM access. Unlike most debit cards, you can’t use the Extra card to withdraw cash from ATMs.
- Limited support. The only way you can contact Extra is through the live chat on the website or app. But while their support options are limited, we contacted Extra three times and they responded right away.
Extra‘s partner bank, Evolve Bank & Trust, is FDIC-insured for up to $250,000. Extra can also handle issues related to disputes or fraud before your bank account is affected. Also, the Extra app will alert you as soon as your card is used, so you can find out about fraudulent purchases fast.
The Extra debit card isn’t accredited by the BBB yet, although it’s in the process of membership approval. But it earns 4.6 out of 5 stars on the Apple App store. The 10 customer reviews praise Extra for helping them build their credit with two praising the app for helping their score go up by 100 points over the course of two to three months.
Compare other popular debit cards based on their features and ATM networks.
If you have questions or need help with your account, you can chat with a representative in the app or via Extra‘s website. If they’re unavailable, you can leave a message.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.
Read the full methodology of how we rate checking accounts.