Embrace pet insurance review Oct 2020
Customize your policy with wide coverage or a wellness plan for routine care.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for a customizable pet policy from a respected insurer.
- Pick something else if your pet is age 15 or older.
- Best for younger pets with no pre-existing conditions.
Up to 14 years
Up to 90%
|Average monthly cost||$31|
|Types of policy||Wellness, Accident, Illness|
|Dental coverage||Emergency and routine|
|Bundling discount||Not offered|
|Paid in ful||Not offered|
Heather Petty is a writer at Finder specializing in banking, investments and insurance. She's a self-proclaimed word nerd who worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. Heather earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Embrace pet insurance offers a lot of perks and customizations built on a solid customer reputation. If you have a young or middle-aged pet, even having minimum coverage in place can give you some peace of mind. But if your pet is older or you want to find insurance that covers something Embrace excludes, compare other pet insurance policies to see if you can find a policy that better suits your needs.
What's in this guide?
- How much is Embrace pet insurance?
- Embrace pet insurance reviews and complaints.
- What pet insurance coverage does Embrace offer?
- What extra benefits and add-ons does Embrace offer?
- How does the Embrace Wellness Rewards plan work?
- What's not covered by Embrace pet insurance?
- How do I get reimbursed for a vet bill with Embrace?
- Alternatives to Embrace
- Frequently asked questions about Embrace pet insurance
How much is Embrace pet insurance?
Policies for basic coverage start around $7 to $20 a month for a young, healthy pet.
Rather than offering set plans, Embrace allows you to customize your pet insurance policy using the following criteria:
- Annual reimbursement limit. The maximum Embrace will reimburse you for the year. Your choices are $5,000, $8,000, $10,000, $15,000 and $30,000. If you want unlimited reimbursement, you can request a quote for that over the phone when you enroll.
- Annual deductible. The amount you pay out-of-pocket before your insurance benefit kicks in. Your choices are $200, $300, $500, $750 and $1,000.
- Reimbursement percentage. The amount of each claim that Embrace will reimburse. Your choices are 70%, 80% and 90%.
- Pet. You’ll have different rates depending on your pet’s species, breed and age.
Embrace pet insurance quotes
|Cat||Domestic Shorthair||2 years||Female||$1,000||70%||$5,000||$7.43|
|Cat||Domestic Shorthair||2 years||Female||$200||90%||$30,000||$28.86|
|Dog||Mixed breed||2 years||Female||$1,000||70%||$5,000||$18.02|
|Dog||Mixed breed||2 years||Female||$200||90%||$30,000||$70.02|
- Exam fee coverage. Embrace coverage includes the exam fees, which most other insurers typically don’t cover.
- Curable pre-existing conditions policy. Embrace does not cover pre-existing conditions. But if the condition is curable, and you can show 12 consecutive months of your pet being condition-free, Embrace will reset the clock and cover that condition from then on.
- 24/7 answer line. If you’re not sure whether your pet needs a vet visit, you can call the Embrace support line any time day or night.
- Personalized coverage. You choose your deductible amount, reimbursement percentage, and coverage caps to create the best fit for you within your budget.
- Quick payouts. Customers report that their claim reimbursements were paid quickly, sometimes within five days.
- No per-incident limit. Your policy has an annual limit, but no limit on what you can be reimbursed for within a single incident.
- No new enrollments for older pets. New policies are only available for pets under age 15, and customers have complained of premiums going up significantly as their pets age.
- No online enrollment. You can get a quote online, but to finalize your policy, you have to call customer service.
- No full coverage option. The most you can be reimbursed is 90% of your vet bill.
- Waiting periods. While Embrace is not the only pet insurance to require waiting periods before coverage begins, they are as follows:
- Illnesses: 15 days
- Accidents: Four days
- Orthopedic conditions: Six months, unless you take your pet for a full orthopedic review and file it with your pet’s medical records. With the review, the waiting period is two weeks.
Embrace pet insurance reviews and complaints.
Embrace has a great reputation in the pet wellness community and high four-star average ratings on customer review sites like TrustPilot and Consumer Affairs, mostly raving about quick claim turnarounds and the friendly attentive customer service.
Of the customers that complained, most felt that the pre-existing conditions exclusion had been applied to their claim unfairly. Some very recent complaints on claim slowdowns were answered by the company, claiming that they’re hiring more staff.
Embrace is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating with no unresolved complaints as of March, 2020.
What pet insurance coverage does Embrace offer?
The standard Embrace policy comes with the following coverage:
- Accidents. Covers any expenses related to accidental injuries or ingestion, including consults and exam fees.
- Illness. Covers illness, regardless of age or breed and with no per-condition limitations.
- Chronic conditions. Allergies, arthritis and chronic illnesses like diabetes with no coverage limitations, even after you renew your policy.
- Cancer. Your policy covers cancer-related testing and treatment regardless of age or breed.
- Dental illness. Covers up to $1,000 per year toward dental issues such as gingivitis, extractions and dental surgery.
- Genetic conditions. Hereditary and breed-specific conditions are covered, such as hip dysplasia, IVDD and allergies, as long as there are no symptoms before you purchase the policy.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Embrace offer?
In addition to the standard care coverage, Embrace covers some specialized treatments and offers these add-on coverage options:
- Routine care and grooming. Embrace offers an add-on Wellness Plan to help cover routine vet visits, preventative care and grooming services. You can choose between $250, $450 and $650 per year tiers.
- Healthy pet deductible. For every year that you don’t make a claim, Embrace lowers your deductible amount by $50.
- Alternate therapy and rehab. You’re covered if your pet needs special treatments like hydrotherapy, acupuncture or therapeutic laser treatments.
- Emergency and specialist care. Whether your pet needs after-hours care or a veterinary oncologist, the treatment is included in your Embrace policy.
- Prescription drugs. Every policy comes with prescription drug coverage.
- Behavioral therapy. If you need help with your pet’s aggression or other behavioral problems, you are covered.
How does the Embrace Wellness Rewards plan work?
You can choose to add a Wellness Savings Plan to your policy to help cover routine checkups and grooming. Your choices are $250, $450 and $650. This acts as a health savings account.
The money is available the day you sign up and you are reimbursed for services in full until the money’s gone. You pay into the fund directly along with your policy premium.
For example, if you sign up for the $250 plan, then $18.75 is added to your premium each month. Over the course of 12 months, that adds up to $225, and when you add in the $25 enrollment fee, you have paid for the $250 over the year. The $450 plan adds $35.42 to your monthly premium. The $650 plan adds $52.09 to your premium.
What’s not covered by Embrace pet insurance?
Embrace’s exclusions are pretty standard. But if you’re still unsure if your pet’s procedure will be covered, you can use their pre-certification process to know ahead of time what’s covered and how much. The following are not covered by your Embrace policy:
- Routine veterinary care. While the standard Embrace policy doesn’t cover routine vet care and grooming, you can purchase a Wellness Rewards plan as an add-on that covers a set amount of routine care each year.
- Pre-existing conditions. Any illness discovered before you purchase the policy isn’t covered.
- Cosmetic procedures. Elective surgeries, such as choosing to declaw your pet, crop their ears or dock their tails, are not covered.
- Breeding and whelping. You won’t be reimbursed for breeding fees, pregnancy or birthing-related expenses.
- DNA work. You’ll have to pick up the bill on any DNA testing you do, as well as any attempt to clone your pet.
- Deliberate injury. If you or someone in your home deliberately injures your pet, or if the injury is due to fighting, racing or neglect, your bill isn’t covered.
How do I get reimbursed for a vet bill with Embrace?
Have your vet fill out the claim form as part of your visit and submit it to Embrace by email, mail, fax, online or through the mobile app. Once your claim is processed, you can be reimbursed by check or direct deposit, depending on how you set up your account.
Alternatives to Embrace
See how Embrace’s coverage and policy options stack up to other pet insurance companies out there.