We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
Affordable top-ups, prepaid plans and 4G broadband across 30+ travel-worthy countries.
We’re all susceptible to advertisements promising the “best” and the ”fastest.” Especially when we’re looking to solve mobile service needs that come with international travel.
If you live in or are soon traveling to Jamaica, Bermuda or any of the other 30 countries it supports, the rapidly expanding Digicel could be in the running. It offers flexible, low-cost data, talk and text plans to suit your short- and long-term needs.
- Get up to 4X credit
- 3 GB data
- Limited Time Offer
- Starting at USD $10.00
What is Digicel?
Based in Jamaica, Digicel is a mobile service provider offering wide-ranging services in the Caribbean, Central America and Asia Pacific.
Founded in 2001 by Denis O’Brien, a businessman who made his millions in the Irish mobile market, Digicel offers prepaid and use-based calling and data plans, LTE broadband home solutions and phones and devices that vary by country and home market. O’Brien appears to expand into countries whose telecom industries have recently opened up as a result of liberalization or privatization.
But the company does have a soft side: Through the Digicel Foundation, it provides education and community development to improve the lives of more than 2.5 million people globally — including those recently affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria.
Where does Digicel offer its services?
In 2017, Digicel focuses its services to some 30 countries throughout the Caribbean, Central America and Asia Pacific.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- The British Virgin Islands
- The Cayman Islands
- El Salvador
- French Guiana
- Papua New Guinea
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad & Tobago
- Turks and Caicos
What services does Digicel wireless offer?
The services, products and devices you’ll find with Digicel vary largely by the country you live in. You’ll find 3G and 4G services, LTE home broadband, Wi-Fi solutions and more for consumers and business customers.
Most countries will find a combination of wireless top-up services, prepaid plans and 4G broadband, making it a solid option for travel.
Plans are by country but typically start with low-priced 1GB data through increasing data that tops out at 3GB data. You can top up online or through Digicel’s free app.
Choose from Digicel’s One Simple Rate Plan or three Quick Pick bundles offering data, talk and text for three, seven or 30 days:
- One Simple Rate Plan. By-the-minute rates, data, exclusive Digicel-to-Digicel SMS, international SMS and calling to Canada, the US, China and UK and Spain landlines.
- Quick Pick bundles. Prepay for three days, a week or a month of data, Digicel minutes, WhatsApp messaging and Digicel text, with unlimited rollover data and talk.
Broadband plans are prepaid or by use, with pricing that depends on how long you’re looking to have it. Sign up for a monthly plan or prepaid plans spanning one, three and seven days.
Are there any other features I should know about?
- Phone selection. Choose from a wide selection of mobile phones that depend on your country of residence. For example, if you live in the Cayman Islands, you can choose from the most popular smartphones, whereas in Jamaica, you won’t find iPhones among the smartphones and basic cells available.
- Unlimited social. Depending on your plan, you could get unlimited access to social media platforms Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.
- Loyalty points. In some countries, you can earn loyalty points toward airtime, travel and even phones. For instance, in the Cayman Islands, you’ll get 5% back when you top up your account.
- Data rollover. You shouldn’t have to worry about unused data going to waste with Digicel. Most plans roll over your data and talk to the next month.
- Worldwide calling plans. While plans vary by country, many come with worldwide calling to countries most popular with your neighbors.
What to watch out for
- Digicel strives for the fastest connections in its service areas. But it doesn’t always hit the mark with its customers.
- Overcharging. Customers complain online about paying more than expected for data and roaming.
- Missing data. An alarmingly high number of users say that Digicel fails to credit all or any of the minutes and services they pay for. Which leads us to …
- Poor customer service. Many customers express frustration with support that doesn’t seem interested in fixing complaints. Worse, at least a few say the company attempts to blame them for the problems.
How do I sign up with Digicel?
Sign up for Digicel by clicking Go to Site. Select your country and complete the form as requested.
Pros and cons
- Services in 30+ countries. If you live in the Caribbean, Central America or Asia Pacific, take a look at what Digicel offers.
- Low-cost prepaid or monthly plans. Depending on where you live, you’ll find flexible data, talk and text options — even those covering one day only.
- Home broadband in select countries. Connect to fast Internet for home and on-the-go use.
- Poor customer reviews. You’ll find many complaints online about missing credit, nonexistent support and combative representatives. Buyer beware.
- Available in select countries. If you don’t live in its service area, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
If you’re travelling to the Caribbean, Central America or Oceania or live in any of the countries supported by Digicel, consider it part of your overall options. But keep in mind that customer service may not always be the best, which may be more of a problem given wide-ranging online complaints.