Capital One 360 Checking review
A fee-free account that’s flexible with overdrafts and overseas travel.
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5.0
A strong option for globetrotters and those who need cash on the go, the Capital One 360 Checking account has no fees or minimums. And thanks to its flexible overdraft options, it’s also ideal for fluctuating account balances. The more you save, the more interest you’ll earn — though there are other banks that can beat Capital One’s rates.
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||0.75% on balances of $100,000+ |
0.50% on balances of $50,000 to $99,999.99
0.20% on balances of $0 to $49,999.99
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|ATMs||39,000+ Capital One and Allpoint ATMs nationwide|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||0%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$9|
Katia Iervasi is a writer from Sydney, Australia. Her writing — and curiosity — has taken her around the world, and she now calls New York home. With a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
The Capital One 360 Checking account is all about convenience and offers easy access to your money at 39,000+ Capital One and Allpoint ATMs nationwide, no overdraft fees and zero foreign transaction fees. Its variable APY is solid, but you’ll have to park a substantial amount of money to earn more than 0.2%.
What are the benefits of a checking account with Capital One?
This FDIC-insured account comes with a Mastercard debit card, wide ranging customer service and these other benefits:
- No fees. It costs nothing to open and maintain an account or access your money from any ATM, though the ATM owner may charge a fee. You won’t be charged foreign transaction fees, either.
- High interest rate. Get rewarded for your growing balance. You’ll earn 0.2% APY on balances between $0–$49,999.99; 0.5% on balances between $50,000–$99,999.99; and 0.75% on balances of $100,000 or more.
- Check-writing privileges. If you need paper checks, Capital One will send you your first checkbook for free. After that, it costs $5 for 50 checks.
- Lenient overdraft policy. Unlike many of its competitors, Capital One gives you four options to choose from to avoid paying any overdraft fees — which can add up quickly at $30 to $40 each.
- Complimentary credit monitoring. Download the CreditWise app to monitor your credit score, learn how to improve it and receive email alerts if it changes.
- Savvy online banking tools. Transfer money, pay bills, set up alerts and deposit checks with a tap of the app.
- Deactivate card online. Sign into your account to deactivate a stolen or missing card yourself.
What are the overdraft options?
If your account falls below zero, these are your choices:
- Auto-decline. Opt into this and Capital One will decline any transactions that will cause your account to become overdrawn.
- Next day grace. The bank will pay for the overdraft transaction and give you one business day to add funds to your account. If you don’t, you’ll have to cough up $35.
- Free savings transfer. Move money across from your 360 Savings account to cover what you owe.
- Overdraft line of credit. Capital One will take care of the overdrawn amount — up to $1,000 — and you’ll pay 13.25% interest on that amount for as long as your account is in deficit.
Capital One’s ATM network and fees
When you receive your Mastercard debit card, you can withdraw cash and check your account balance at over 39,000 Capital One and AllPoint ATMs — which are located at select Target, Walgreens, CVS and convenience stores across the country.
Some ATMs support cash and check deposits, too. To find a compatible one near you, use the search function on Capital One’s website.
Capital One won’t charge you a fee for these or any other ATMs. If you dip your card into overseas or out-of-network ATMs, however, check whether the ATM owner will charge you.
What should I look out for?
Capital One’s 360 Checking Account stands out in a sea of bank accounts for many reasons, but it has its flaws. These include:
- Limited branch access. As a proudly modern bank, Capital One encourages online banking — so you won’t find a branch on every corner. Any accounts under the 360 umbrella are classified as online-only, though you can open them in person.
- Miscellaneous charges. While the checking account is fee-free, you’ll need to pay for above-and-beyond services like $20 overnight check delivery, $25 overnight card replacement and $25 for each stop payment request. If a check bounces due to insufficient funds, you’ll incur a $9 fee — even if you have overdraft protection in place.
- Expensive outbound wires. Capital One charges $40 to send domestic wires and doesn’t support sending international wires. It’s free to receive domestic and international transfers, though.
- Credit check. If you choose to apply for the Overdraft Line of Credit, the bank will perform a hard pull on your credit, which may affect your credit score.
- Short support window. Unlike many online banks, Capital One doesn’t offer 24/7 customer service. You can only reach the team by phone and live chat from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m, seven days a week.
If you’re unsure about whether this account is the best fit for your financial situation, you can compare it with other checking accounts before applying.
How much do I need to open an account?
$0. The checking account has no minimum opening deposit or minimum balance requirement.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I apply?
You can open a 360 Checking account online or in person at a Capital One branch.
The bank claims it takes just five minutes to fill out the online form. These are the steps:
- Go to the Capital One website.
- Hover over the Checking & Savings tab and select 360 Checking.
- On the landing page, click Open Account.
- Log in if you have an existing Capital One account, credit card or loan. If you don’t, press No.
- Choose your Account Type: Single or Joint.
- Enter your Personal, Contact, Citizenship and Employment details.
- Review and consent to the Terms & Conditions.
- Press Now, Let’s Add Money.
- Follow the prompts to provide identifying documents and fund your initial deposit. Capital One will then confirm those details and send you an account number.
To qualify for a 360 Checking account, you must be:
- 18 or older
- A US citizen or permanent resident with a physical address and Social Security Number
When you apply, have the following info and documents handy:
- Personal and employment details
- Social Security Number
- Citizenship status
- Government-issued ID, such as a Driver’s License or State ID
What other checking options does Capital One offer?
Teens aged 13 to 17 can open a Capital One MONEY account. It motivates teens to save with real-time text alerts and an interest rate of 0.25% on all balances.
The online checking account comes with no fees or minimum balance requirements. It’s a joint account, so an adult must cosign and have access to the account.
Does this bank offer business services?
Yes. Capital One has two customized business checking accounts:
- Spark Business Basic Checking. To help businesses control their cash flow, this account offers unlimited transactions and free overdraft protection. There’s a $15 monthly service fee, which Capital One will waive if your previous 30- or 90-day balance averages $2,000 or more.
- Spark Business Unlimited Checking. Ideal for bigger businesses or those with a more steady stream of income, this account has unlimited transactions, fee-free cash deposits and five free domestic wires each month. Capital One will waive the $35 monthly maintenance fee if your prior 30- or 90-day balance averages $25,000 or more.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.