Capital One 360 CD rates and review
No minimum deposit and a strong APY from this online account.
When you’re ready to take your savings to the next level, the Capital One 360 CD offers high rates. But to get the highest APY, you’ll need to choose a five-year term.
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|Early withdrawal penalty||90 days interest for terms of 1 to 12 months |
180 days interest for terms of 13 + months
As the assistant publisher of banking and investing at finder.com, Ryan Brinks melds more than a decade of experience in business news and online content into creating comprehensive and helpful comparisons of the companies you trust your money with. He loves to innovate and put money to work while keeping a careful eye on managing risk. Beyond work, Ryan's also passionate about his family and serving his community.
Capital One 360 offers strong rates on CDs with terms of 12 months or longer. Often, banks require a minimum deposit — this one doesn’t. Plus, there are no monthly fees.
Consider how long you can be without your funds before committing to a 360 CD. Shorter terms don’t have as great of returns — and if you need to pull your money early, it’ll cost you.
Benefits of a Capital One 360 CD
In addition to having no minimum opening deposit and no maintenance fees, this CD offers the following benefits:
- Competitive APYs. Interest rates start at 0.6% and go up to 1.6% for terms of 60 months.
- Term lengths. Meet your goals with terms from six months to five years.
- Rate lock guarantee. Lock in the highest rate available during the funding period for up to 10 days, even if that rate changes during funding.
- Early interest payments. Get interest deposited once a month or once a year.
- Automatic renewal. Renew your CD for another term at the current rate.
What to watch out for
Guaranteed rates on your term CD come with potential drawbacks that include:
- Low APR. Shorter terms offer lower yields than traditional savings accounts.
- Early withdrawal penalty. It’s a standard penalty for CDs, but withdrawing your funds before the end of your term comes with fees.
- Statement fees. You’ll pay $5 for each statement you receive by mail.
Depending on your needs, you may find a high-yield savings account or a short-term CD to be more suited to your savings goals.
Compare with other CDs
How do I open a CD?
With a focus on online banking, Capital One 360 makes it easy to open your term CD without entering a branch:
- Go to Capital One‘s 360 CDs site and click Open Account.
- Unless you already bank with Capital One, choose your account type and term and fill in your personal, financial and employment details, then click Now, let’s add money.
- Submit the banking details that you’ll use to fund your CD to complete your application.
To be eligible for a Capital One 360 CD account, you’ll need to:
- Be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- Have a US, APO or FPO mailing address.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
Be prepared to provide the following details:
- Full name and contact information.
- Employment status and income.
- Social Security number and date of birth.
- Country of citizenship.
You can fund your account by:
- Electronic money transfer from an outside account.
- Linked Capital One 360 account.
How do I cash in a CD?
With Capital One 360, you have 10 days from the end of your term to transfer the money in your CD. Simply sign in to your online account and indicate where you’d like to transfer it.
If you don’t cash in your CD, Capital One automatically renews it for another term at the current interest rate.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
Contact customer service in the following ways:
- Live chat. Talk in real-time with a representative online.
- Phone. Call 888-464-0727.
- Support center. Search for answers to common questions online.
- Mail. Write to: Capital One 360, PO Box 60, St. Cloud, MN 56302-0060
What other savings options does Capital One offer?
If the Capital One 360 CD doesn’t meet your needs, explore Capital One’s other savings options:
- Capital One 360 Savings. A fee-free online savings account with a great rate for any savings balance and a 1.00% APY and the best part $0 to open and keep your account.
- Capital One Kids Savings Account. The online and mobile savings account that puts them first, another great option with no monthly or maintenance fees, $0 to open or keep your account and a 1.00% APY.
Does Capital One offer business services?
Capital One offers business CDs and savings accounts that include:
- Business Advantage Savings. A low-fee account that comes with a promotional interest rate for the first year and an option to avoid paying $3 monthly by carrying a balance of $300 or more.
- Small Business CDs. Choose between earning a fixed or variable interest rate over terms of one to five years when you lock up at least $1,000 of business cash.