Discover the perfect time to explore Sydney’s beaches and nearby national parks.
Is Sydney one of the destinations you’ve always wanted to tick off your bucket list?
Lucky for you, we have researched the best times throughout the year to visit the picturesque harbor city so you get the most out of your vacation.
Best time of year to visit Sydney
September to November or March to May.
These months are the shoulder periods of Sydney’s high and low seasons, offering visitors comfortable temperatures, manageable tourist crowds and lower prices on accommodations and activities.
September in Sydney marks the beginning of spring and brings along with it all the hallmarks that make this season so ideal. September is the month of the year with the lowest amount of rainfall, and the days are consistently warm. Planning your trip to Sydney in September and the beginning of October also means avoiding the school break peak periods – an important factor given that Sydney’s accommodations can be expensive and crowds dense.
Traveling to Sydney between March and May allows you to experience the best of the autumn leaves and vibrant colors. Also, visiting between March and May means avoiding the busy school break periods while also being able to experience warm weather.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Sydney for weather: If you’re looking to experience comfortable temperatures, visiting Sydney from September to November is best.
Cheapest time to visit Sydney: Visiting Sydney on the outskirts of the school break periods, from early September to early October or March to May, will mean prices for accommodations are lower and tourist destinations are less populated.
Best time to visit Sydney for…
- Beaches: If you’re looking to catch some waves at Sydney’s best beaches, visiting between September and December is best, as this marks the beginning of spring and early summer, when the temperature is perfect for days out.
- Vivid Sydney: If you are hoping to experience the Sydney festival scene, traveling between May and June is ideal, as Vivid Sydney takes place during this period and is one of the most beautiful ways to see the city.
- Hunter Valley: If you’re looking to experience the best the Hunter Valley has to offer, visiting from March to May is the most postcard-worthy, when the autumn leaves are their most vibrant and the temperature is still warm.
- Blue Mountains: Visiting the Blue Mountains during March, April or May is ideal, as the autumn leaves are at their most beautiful.
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge: If you want to climb the Harbour Bridge, booking your trip during September is best, as it statistically has the lowest rainfall during the year and offers comfortable climates.
- Visiting the Opera House: If you want to experience the Opera House at its best, picking a date from September through November offers comfortable temperatures and crowds that won’t be too overbearing.
- Luna Park: Visit outside the school break periods during September or October when the weather’s still warm and comfortable.