Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to save money with budgeting software
Easily keep track of your personal and professional finances.
Budgeting software makes tracking your spending quicker and easier. You can use it to better understand your personal finances and adjust your habits so you can put more money aside for the things you need.
Businesses can also use budgeting software to more accurately forecast future expenses and focus on company growth.
Compare top budgeting software
What is budgeting software?
Budgeting software is a program or app used to perform financial tasks such as bookkeeping, forecasting and financial analysis. While most budgeting software offers the same basic features, the biggest difference is in how you’ll use it.
The first step in choosing budgeting software is to ask yourself if you need it for personal or business use.
Personal vs business budgeting
Personal and business or corporate budgeting share the same basic principles. An effective budget will track your income and expenses and project what your finances will look like in the future.
Why should I consider budgeting software?
Whether you’re running a business or trying to get your personal finances in order, budgeting software can help make the process smoother and quicker.
Benefits of budgeting software include:
- Forecasting. One of the most useful features of budgeting software is accurate forecasting of future expenses and income. Forecasting can help you achieve more financial goals in your personal life and more growth for your business.
- Collaboration. If you own a business, budgeting software can help different teams or departments work together within one budget. It can also improve collaboration in your personal life. You can share the software with your partner, roommate, parent or child to keep track of all your expenses in one place.
- Accuracy. Budgeting software allows you to reduce human error and increase the accuracy of calculations, enabling you to create a more effective budget.
- Time-saving. Manage your personal or corporate finances much quicker than you would without budgeting software.
What to look for when choosing budgeting software
Start by thinking about what you need from the software and how much you’re willing to pay. If you want to use an app to track your spending and help save more towards, say, a deposit on a home, you don’t need to pay for additional features such as business forecasting.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for corporate budgeting software, the cheapest option might not offer everything you need. Consider these features when purchasing budgeting software:
- Free trial. Look for vendors that offer a free trial so you can test the software before you commit to a subscription.
- Manual vs automatic input. Once you’ve chosen your software, you’ll need to input your financial data. Many budgeting software vendors have file import or bank syncing tools that allow you to quickly import your bank statements or sync directly with your bank account.
- Multi-platform. Most budgeting software programs are compatible across multiple platforms and can be available on multiple devices. Look for software offering desktop and mobile options. If you need budgeting software for your business, pick one that can be used on multiple devices at once and is compatible with any systems that your business uses.
2 tips for using budgeting software
- Make sure it’s secure. Any financial information you trust to third-party software or online stores is vulnerable to cyber threats and identity theft. To help protect your money, only give your financial information to reputable vendors.
- Let it guide your spending habits. Whether you’re using budgeting software for personal or business use, stick to the budget. Your software will track your spending and send you notifications if you’re over budget — and you may have to adjust your spending habits to stick to that budget.
Budgeting software is available for individuals and businesses to track spending. With the right program, you can make accurate predictions about the future and reach your financial targets.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best budgeting software, we considered the price, type and overall features. We also took into consideration our own online research and third-part reviews.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Jira review A breakdown of Jira’s features, fees, customer reviews and signup process.
Trello review Service tiers, monthly fees, features and add-ons for this task-management app.
Asana review We break down this task-management software’s core features, pricing, pros and cons.
Zoom review Combine video conferencing, webinars and much more with Zoom's easy-to-use web conference platform.
Slack review Features, prices and customer reviews on this popular business communications platform.
Kaspersky Total Security Kaspersky Total Security is an all-in-one tool to secure your PC or MAC from online threats.
LegalMatch review LegalMatch can help you find lawyers in your area for real estate issues.