Choose from a competitive list of options, including classic bike coverage.
- Get a quote if you need wide motorcycle coverage options or classic bike coverage
- Pick something else if you live in a state not served by the company
- Safe drivers are welcome
|States served||43 states (available everywhere except Alaska Delaware Hawaii New Hampshire Montana Vermont Wyoming)|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes (optional)|
- Wide coverage options
- Plenty of discounts
- Financially stable company
- Vintage bike coverage
- Not available in every state
- Mixed customer reviews
What motorcycle insurance coverage does Nationwide offer?
Nationwide offers standard coverage to get you on the road:
- Liability. Pay expenses for the other driver’s injuries or vehicle damage if you cause an accident.
- Collision. Cover damages to your own vehicle, even when you’re at fault.
- Comprehensive. Protect yourself from non-collision accidents like theft, storms or falling tree branches.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Get coverage for accidents in which the other driver can’t pay for all the damages.
- Medical payments. Protect yourself from expensive medical bills, no matter who’s at fault.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Nationwide offer?
This company offers helpful add-ons to provide more extensive coverage and safety rewards:
- Custom equipment. Protect the parts of your bike that you’ve customized for style and function. Get $3,000 covered automatically with comprehensive, or purchase additional coverage up to $30,000.
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) endorsement. Get your motorcycle repaired with OEM parts or, if unavailable, get reimbursed for that part’s fair market value. This coverage applies to motorcycles under 10 years old.
- Roadside assistance. Protect yourself from roadside breakdowns with Roadside Assistance Basic or Plus. These options include towing, gas delivery, tire changes, jump starts and locksmith services. Also get trip interruption up to $500.
- Vanishing deductible. Knock $100 off your deductible for every year you drive safely, up to $500.
- Vintage or antique motorcycle insurance. If your classic bike is 25 years old or older, you can opt for this policy, which provides agreed value and apparel coverage with no fixed mileage limits.
What discounts can I get with Nationwide?
Nationwide provides a variety of ways you can save on your motorcycle insurance premium:
- Motorcycle safety course. Find savings after completing an approved safety course.
- Affinity member. Get a discount for your membership with one of the thousands of affinity groups, such as alumni, sports, professional or special interest groups.
- Riding association. Earn a discount for being part of a riding group like the Harley Owners Group
- Theft-recovery device. Install a tracking device on your bike to save on your comprehensive coverage.
- Anti-lock brakes. Make sure your motorcycle has a factory-installed ABS system.
- Multi-policy. Bundle your home, auto or life insurance policies with Nationwide.
- Multi-vehicle. Get a discount for bundling two or more vehicles, including boats, ATVs and snowmobiles.
- Paid in full. Pay your premium upfront when you purchase or renew.
- Homeowner. Own your home, condo, townhouse or mobile home and enjoy savings.
What types of motorcycles does Nationwide cover?
The company covers several different motorcycle types:
- Auto cycles
- Customized motorcycles
- Dirt bikes
- New motorcycles
- Sport and touring bikes
- Vintage and antique bikes
Pros and cons of Nationwide motorcycle insurance
- Wide coverage options. Nationwide offers a long list of coverage not always found with its competitors, including a variety of add-ons.
- Plenty of discounts. Save big with one or more of Nationwide’s discount offerings.
- Financially strong. The company keeps a high financial rating with A.M. Best, which is A+.
- Vintage bike coverage. Cover your classic bike with upgraded coverage that fits it perfectly.
- Not available in every state. Despite its name, Nationwide doesn’t offer coverage in these states: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Montana, Vermont and Wyoming.
- Mixed customer reviews. The company received mid-range ratings from the 2018 J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction study. But it has above-average ratings with the BBB and Consumers Advocate.
- Safe drivers preferred. High risk drivers or drivers who need an SR-22 may not be eligible for coverage from Nationwide.
How to apply for Nationwide motorcycle insurance
Start the quote process with Nationwide by going online or contacting your local agent.
- Go to the Nationwide motorcycle insurance homepage.
- Enter your zip code and click Start a quote at the top of the page.
- Fill out your personal information along with your motorcycle and driver details.
- Confirm your information, get your customized quote and choose to proceed with coverage.
Phone. Get a quote or ask questions by calling 877-669-6877.
Local agent. Find a local agent from the motorcycle homepage by clicking Find an agent. Enter your location to view agents near you and their contact info.
What info do I need to apply?
Breeze through your application process by keeping these ready:
- Home address
- Phone number
- Driver’s or motorcycle license
- Motorcycle details — such as make, model and license plate number
- Driving history
- Payment information
How to make a claim with Nationwide
The company keeps the claims process short and simple. Report your accident either online or by phone, using this information:
- Online. Log into your online account to start the claims process.
- Phone. Speak to a claims representative at 800-421-3535.
Alternatives to Nationwide
Nationwide stands out in its motorcycle coverage and discounts, offering more options than many competitors. However, coverage isn’t offered in every state and you can’t get SR-22 coverage for an at-risk driver.
Apply for Nationwide motorcycle insurance or compare motorcycle insurance options to fit your needs.