Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare motorcycle storage insurance
Protect your bike from theft or damage for a lower rate while your bike's in storage.
A motorcycle storage policy keeps you covered for theft or damage while your ride is in a garage or storage. But some insurers don’t offer this low-coverage option because the off-season for riding is already built into low year-round premiums.
What's in this guide?
- How does motorcycle storage insurance work?
- How can I get cheap motorcycle storage insurance?
- How do I get motorcycle storage insurance?
- Compare motorcycle storage insurance
- What does motorcycle storage insurance cover?
- What should I watch out for?
- Bottom line
- Common questions about motorcycle storage insurance
How does motorcycle storage insurance work?
Also called layup, temporary, comprehensive-only or seasonal insurance — a motorcycle storage policy is meant to protect your bike from physical damage while it’s being stored in a garage or other enclosed space. This policy is bare comprehensive coverage, meaning you can’t ride legally with storage insurance. It’s ideal for bikers who only ride a few months a year and don’t want to pay full price for insurance during the off months.
Scenarios where you might consider a storage policy include:
- During seasons commonly known for harsh or unsafe weather
- Active military duty
- Students away at school
- Health reasons
- Traveling abroad
- Broke-down or project bike you plan to repair in the future
How can I get cheap motorcycle storage insurance?
A storage policy is about as little coverage as you can get, but you might find other ways to discount your premium:
- Install an antitheft device. You’re already locking your bike up, but you can further discourage theft with an antitheft alarm or GPS locator.
- Raise your deductible. Shoulder more responsibility upfront in the event of bike damage to get a lower premium.
- Lower your maximums. If you expect an uneventful storage period, consider dropping the dollar amount your policy will pay for a claim.
- Bundle-up coverage. Keep all your daily and recreational vehicles on one policy, including your car, ATV, RV and home.
How do I get motorcycle storage insurance?
Check with your insurer to see if you can get storage policies, or look for a specialty motorcycle storage insurer. To take advantage of this typically low-cost policy:
- If you’re applying for a new policy, compare multiple insurers using your personal information, driving history and bike make and model.
- If you’re continuing with your current insurer, call a representative to update your coverage.
- Get notified of your new premium, receive policy documents and make your payment.
- Ensure that your bike is properly stored and you’re not using it during layup periods.
Compare motorcycle storage insurance
What does motorcycle storage insurance cover?
Your bike storage insurance covers similar areas as comprehensive coverage, including:
- Accidental damage
- Falling trees
- Other inclement weather
What should I watch out for?
Getting a motorcycle storage policy is fairly straightforward. However, consider these situations for a smoother transition:
- Your insurer requires year-round coverage. Some companies factor the riding on- and off-seasons in to a low premium already. Your insurer may not let you drop to comprehensive-only coverage, and could deny coverage if you consistently cancel and renew based on the season.
- Riding without liability. Storage policies don’t meet state insurance requirements. You’ll need to stay off the road, even if you come back to town early or have a fair-weather day.
- Riding without collision coverage. Similarly, storage insurance won’t cover collision damage, since you won’t be riding the bike.
- Getting back on the road. You’ll have to up your coverage before riding season begins again.
Protect your bike from accidental damage and theft while you’re not riding. Storage, or layup insurance can help you maintain coverage at a lower cost. However, you might compare motorcycle insurers who offer this lessened protection for the best fit.
Common questions about motorcycle storage insurance
More guides on Finder
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
Best umbrella insurance
Receive extra liability coverage with an umbrella policy from these top insurers, though they may require you to have car insurance through them.
Compare life insurance wellness programs
Get an incentive to meet your existing health and fitness goals with a discounted premium.
Compare living benefits riders for life insurance
Use your death benefits to help pay for medical expenses while you’re still alive.
Compare home renovation insurance
Transform your home without leaving insurance gaps while your home’s under construction.
Compare decreasing term life insurance
Save money by targeting your coverage to your largest debts.
Compare full coverage vs. liability car insurance
Which type of car insurance policy fits your car and driving needs?
Will health insurance cover the COVID-19 vaccine?
Find out if your health insurance will pay for the COVID-19 vaccine when it’s released.
How much does health insurance cost?
Most working Americans pay around $1,489 in premiums each year. Compare costs now.
Asbestos and home insurance
Learn when your home insurance policy would and wouldn’t pay to remove this building material.
Ask an Expert