MetLife motorcycle insurance review Jul 2021
Get standard coverage with a few bonuses, plus bundle recreational vehicles together.
finder.com’s rating: 4 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want to save by bundling insurance for multiple vehicles.
- Pick something else if you have high customer service standards.
- Bikers of all kinds can apply.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Additional coverage included
- Financially stable company
- Easy claims process
- Bundle and save
- Low customer service ratings
- Not motorcycle-specific
- Few discounts
- No online quotes
- Roadside assistance not available for offroad vehicles
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
MetLife offers a standard range of coverage with several key features included, such as uninsured/underinsured and guest passenger liability. Its worldwide service means you can count on this company’s ability to back up your claims.
However, its broad RV-focused coverage means it could be lacking helpful, biker-specific features. It’s handy if you need to insure multiple off-roading vehicles on the same policy but will leave bike enthusiasts lacking for some features. You won’t find great customer support here either, with tons of negative reviews online with a lack of responses from the company.
How to apply for MetLife motorcycle insurance.
To get MetLife motorcycle insurance, speak directly to a representative by phone or email.
- Phone. Get a direct quote from a MetLife representative by calling 844-758-7818.
- Email. Use the contact form on MetLife’s RV and motorcycle insurance homepage to get your quote. You’ll provide both your email address and phone number there.
What info do I need to apply?
Keeping this information handy will speed up the application process:
- Personal information: home address, phone number and date of birth
- Driver’s or motorcycle license number
- Motorcycle details: make, model and license plate number
- Driving history for you and any other listed drivers
- Choice of coverage and policy start date
- Payment information
What discounts can I get with MetLife?
MetLife provides a few discounts to help you save money on your premium. Specifically, the company states a multipolicy discount for motorcycles.
However, you might also be able to receive many of its car insurance discounts. Confirm these with a representative before purchasing your policy.
- Multipolicy. The company offers up to 10% savings if you bundle policies together in one convenient place with MetLife.
- Deductible savings. Get $50 per year off your deductible for going claims-free, up to $250 total.
- Safety course. Complete an approved driver training course for additional savings.
- Superior driver. Does your entire household have a stellar driving record? If so, MetLife extends extra rewards.
- MetBenefits. Stay claims- and violation-free for five years to get up to 20% off your premium.
- Safety features. Make sure your motorcycle has safety features like antilock brakes for this easy discount.
- Antitheft. Get rewarded for having an antitheft or theft recovery system installed on your bike.
- Restricted mileage. Lower your rates for driving under 7,500 miles per year.
- Good student. Maintain a “B” average or better as a student under 25 years old for another 15% off.
- Mature driver. MetLife honors experienced drivers who are between 50 and 65 years old.
What motorcycle insurance coverage does MetLife offer?
MetLife offers a healthy list of standard coverage for protection on the road:
- Bodily injury liability. Cover medical expenses for the other driver or passengers involved in an accident you caused.
- Property damage liability. Take responsibility for any vehicle damages you cause to another driver.
- Guest passenger liability. Pay for injuries, damages or legal fees for a passenger riding with you during an accident. This is included in your bodily injury and property damage liability.
- Collision. Protect your motorcycle from structural damage during accidents where you’re at fault.
- Comprehensive. Pay for damages caused by non-collision events, like theft, storms or fallen tree branches.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Protect yourself from at-fault drivers who don’t have enough insurance to cover your damages. This coverage is included in every MetLife motorcycle policy.
- Medical payments. Cover medical expenses if you, family members or other passengers get hurt in an accident.
What extra benefits and add-ons does MetLife offer?
The company includes a few add-on features for extra peace of mind when you’re out riding:
- Replacement cost. Pay for extra parts on your bike during an accident — such as tires, batteries and shocks — without considering depreciation for those parts.
- Extra equipment. Cover equipment added to your bike, like chrome handlebars or sidecars.
- Towing and roadside assistance. Get assistance for roadside needs like towing, battery jumps or fuel delivery if your motorcycle breaks down on the road.
- Trailers. Pay for damages to the trailer you use to transport your bike.
- Legal defense. Cover legal defenses under liability coverage if you ever need to go to court over an accident. You’ll also get reimbursed up to $250 per day if MetLife asks you to attend court.
Alternatives to MetLife
What types of motorcycles does MetLife cover?
MetLife covers all types of motorcycles and vehicles, including:
- Dirt bikes
- Bike trailers
Pros and cons of MetLife motorcycle insurance
- Additional coverage included. MetLife includes several coverage features in standard policies, including uninsured/underinsured and guest passenger liability.
- Financially stable company. MetLife is one of the largest insurers in the world, making it a stable choice to consider. The company also boasts an A+ financial rating with AM Best.
- Easy claims process. Many customers on review sites say that filing claims is a quick and smooth process.
- Bundle and save. Already have another MetLife policy? You can get a savings discount.
- Low customer service ratings. The company does have some glowing reviews on consumer sites with other average experiences mixed in. However, the BBB rates MetLife a D- for failure to respond to 12 complaints.
- Few discounts. You won’t find many discounts with MetLife’s motorcycle policies.
- Not motorcycle-specific. MetLife shares its motorcycle coverage with other recreational vehicles. So it may be missing coverage needs specific to bikers.
- No online quotes. You’ll need to talk to a representative directly for an insurance quote.
- Roadside assistance availability. This coverage isn’t available for offroad vehicles, such as scooters, golf carts and unregistered dirt bikes.
How to make a claim with MetLife
Easily file a claim with MetLife 24/7, by phone, online or through the mobile app.
- Phone. Call a claims rep any time at 800-854-6011.
- Online. Feel free to use your online account if you’re filing a structural damage, glass or towing claim.
- Mobile app. Enter your accident details straight from your phone, including submitting photos of the accident.
Frequently asked questions about MetLife motorcycle insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.