Markel motorcycle insurance review
Specialized bike coverage and steep discounts
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you need wide coverage from a trusted source.
- Pick something else if you want to bundle motorcycle and auto policies.
- Many bikers can apply and safe drivers get rewarded.
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone, mail|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes (four years claim free)|
- Established company with 40 years of experience in motorcycle insurance
- Biker-friendly coverage that keeps drivers well-covered on the road
- Savings up to 35% off your premium
- 24/7 claims reporting at your convenience
- Available in 48 states
- Motorcycle insurance only
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Markel provides a comprehensive list of coverage options and discounts that are specific to biker’s needs, including policy options for almost any type of bike. Safe bikers with a good driving history will save the most, but Markel offers plenty of other discounts to stack for any rider.
However, Markel doesn’t offer standard car insurance, so you’ll have to go elsewhere to bundle policies for other vehicles. Its focus is on motorcycles, so that might be just fine for you if that’s all you have in your garage.
How to apply for Markel motorcycle insurance
The company provides several simple ways to apply for motorcycle insurance, including online, by phone or by email.
Online. Follow these steps to apply online:
- Go to Markel’s motorcycle homepage.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Get quote at the top of the page.
- Enter your personal details, motorcycle information and named motorcycle drivers.
- Finalize details, receive a quote and choose whether to move forward with coverage.
Phone. Talk to a representative directly by calling 800-236-2453. Call anytime between 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday, or 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday CT.
Email. Get questions answered about your policy needs by emailing email@example.com.
What info do I need to apply?
Keep a few pieces of information on hand for a quick application process:
- Personal information: home address, phone number, email address
- Social Security number
- Driver’s or motorcycle license
- Motorcycle details, such as make, model and license plate number
- Driving history
- Desired policy start date
- Payment information
What discounts can I get with Markel?
Markel boasts discounts that, combined, could save you up to 35% off your motorcycle insurance premium. Discounts you may qualify for include:
- Accident forgiveness. If you’ve gone four years back-to-back with no accidents, Markel waives the at-fault surcharge for your first accident after this long, no-claims stretch.
- Anti-lock brakes. Install anti-lock brakes on your bike for added safety and savings.
- Anti-theft alarm. Protect your motorcycle with an anti-theft device, such as an alarm or GPS tracking.
- Diminishing deductible. Reduce your deductible by 25% for every year you’re accident free. You can even earn your way to a $0 deductible.
- Multi unit. Get coverage for more than one motorcycle from the same insurer — Markel.
- Policy renewal. Stick with the Markel brand and you’ll get rewarded for customer loyalty.
- Safe driver. Stay clear of road violations for additional savings. This applies to those who haven’t received more than one violation in the last three years.
- Safety course completion. Learn safe driving skills on the road with an approved motorcycle safety course.
- Transfer companies. Get 10% off for switching to Markel from another carrier.
What motorcycle insurance coverage does Markel offer?
Markel offers a variety of motorcycle coverage to fit your needs. Standard offerings include:
- Bodily injury liability. Cover the other driver’s personal injuries when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Property damage liability. Pay for damages to another person’s vehicle or property that occur because of a collision.
- Passenger liability. Protect your passengers during an accident that you caused. This also applies to passengers not named on your policy.
- Collision. Get repairs to your own motorcycle without worrying about the cost.
- Comprehensive. Accidents of all kinds happen, and some don’t involve hitting another vehicle. Cover motorcycle damage when the accident is related to noncollision events like theft, vandalism or weather damage.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Stay protected, even when the at-fault driver can’t pay for your damages.
- Medical payments. Pay expensive medical bills for you and your passengers, no matter who caused the accident.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Markel offer?
The company includes additional coverage options to fill many gaps that other competitors leave behind:
- Mechanical breakdown. Pay for repairs to specific bike parts, depending on the bike’s year, make and model.
- Accessories. Worried about accessories you need for your trips? Get $1,000 of coverage included with collision and comprehensive, or purchase coverage for up to $30,000.
- Roadside assistance and trip interruption. Get coverage for minor roadside repairs at a nominal fee. Coverage includes gas and water delivery, locksmith services, road-mapping services and trip interruption reimbursement.
- Rental reimbursement. Pay for the cost of a rental vehicle when your motorcycle is out of commission due to an accident.
- Funeral expenses. Don’t let hard times get harder with funeral costs. Cover anyone who’s named on the policy and riding an insured motorcycle.
- Trailer coverage. Protect your tow-behind trailers from accident damages.
Alternatives to Markel
What types of motorcycles does Markel cover?
The company insures almost every type of motorcycle you can think of, including:
- Big twins
- Custom motorcycles
- Dirt bikes
- Sport and sport-touring bikes
- Street bikes
- Touring motorcycles
Pros and cons of Markel motorcycle insurance
- Established company. Markel has 40 years of experience in the motorcycle insurance industry, giving it a leg up from providers just starting to offer coverage.
- Motorcycle-specific coverage. Unlike some competitors, this company specializes in coverage options that keep biker’s needs in mind.
- Helpful add-ons. Get optional coverage to fill in unprotected gaps so you can enjoy your ride worry free.
- Many ways to save. The company offers a variety of discounts that can save you up to 35%.
- 24/7 claims. Report a motorcycle claim whenever the accident occurs, even in the middle of the night.
- Available in 48 states.The company serves 48 states in the US, excluding Massachusetts and North Carolina.
- Doesn’t provide regular auto insurance. Markel specializes in niche insurance markets. That means you’ll have to look elsewhere to bundle your regular insurance needs.
How to make a claim with Markel
Report claims via phone, online or email 24/7.
- Phone. Report a new claim over the phone by calling 800-362-7535.
- Online. Submit a claim conveniently online by logging into your account from the website. You can also file a new claim directly from the website.
- Email. New claims can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have supporting documents for an existing claim, send those to email@example.com.
- Fax. You can also fax supporting documents for an existing claim. Send documents to 855-662-7535.
Frequently asked questions about Markel motorcycle insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.