A digital account with cashback rewards and built-in envelope budgeting — but watch out for fees.Jelli is a digital bank account and budgeting app rolled into one. It has no monthly fees, offers cashback rewards on debit card purchases and is unique with a built-in envelope budgeting system where you can manage and categorize expenses in real-time. But the account comes with a long list of miscellaneous fees that are difficult to avoid and you can only bank through the app.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Expert reviewJelli is best for anyone looking for a built-in envelope budgeting system tied to their bank account. You can divide all your funds into goals and earn cashback rewards when you use your debit card at a participating retailer.
But Jelli has a lot of miscellaneous fees that could eat into your budget if you’re not careful.
You’ll pay $2 each time you use an ATM and $0.50 when you make a purchase that requires a PIN. And if you need to pay a bill electronically, you’ll have to pay $1 per transaction. You’ll also pay $0.50 if you need to call customer service to check your card balance.
If you never need to handle cash, don’t use bill pay and are keen on making signature-based transactions for everything, you may be able to get by just fine. But if you want to use this as your main account, you may need to create a dedicated budgeting category just to cover all the fees you’ll incur.
What are the benefits of Jelli‘s digital account?
There’s no credit check required to open a Jelli account and no overdraft fees, plus you’ll enjoy these perks:
- No monthly maintenance fee. Unlike some digital banks, you won’t have to worry about paying a monthly fee to maintain your account.
- Cashback rewards. Earn JelliCash — aka cashback rewards — when you use your debit card on qualifying purchases.
- Built-in budgeting. Jelli has a built-in envelope budgeting system, allowing you to manage all your spending and saving in one convenient app.
- Share savings goals with friends. Connect with friends through the Jelli app and group-fund projects, leave comments and post updates about your goals.
- Up to five cards per account. Request one primary card and up to four secondary cards for anyone age 13 and older.
- Accepts cash deposits. Unlike other digital accounts, this one lets you reload cash at any Western Union, MoneyGram or CashPass location.
- High transaction limits. The Jelli account has higher daily limits for withdrawals, deposits and transfers than other accounts we’ve reviewed. Here’s a summary:
Transaction type Daily limit Purchases $5,000 Withdrawals from ATM, bank teller or POS purchase $920 Direct deposits $50,000 Cash deposits $10,000 Card-to-card transfers $20,000 ACH deposits $50,000
What should I look out for?
While Jelli as it’s perks, there’s a few things that make it sour:
- No ATM network. You’ll pay $2 for domestic ATMs and $3.50 for international ATMs on top of any fees the operator may charge.
- Miscellaneous fees. While you won’t pay a monthly maintenance fee, the account comes with a long list of other fees that could quickly derail your budget.
- Can’t budget using multiple accounts. With regular budgeting apps, you can connect your checking, savings, credit card and more to manage all your money in one place. But you can’t do this with Jelli, which means you won’t have an accurate view of your total financial picture.
- Maximum account limit. You can’t keep more than $50,000 in your Jelli account at any one time.
- Mobile banking. The only way to access your account is through the Jelli app.
If you’re looking for a budgeting and digital bank combo, you may want to consider Qube Money.
Compare Jelli with other digital accounts
Use this table to see how Jelli compares to other digital bank accounts. If more than one account catches your eye, check the “Compare” box next to each one for an in-depth side-by-side view.
How does budgeting work in the Jelli app?Jelli uses the envelope budgeting system. But instead of digital envelopes, you divide funds into JelliJars. Create as many JelliJars as you need for things like groceries, rent, an emergency fund, vacations and more.
Each time you make a purchase, you’ll get a notification asking you to assign that expense to the appropriate JelliJar.
To save time, automate your budget so that your JelliJars fill up each time a direct deposit hits your account. This way you don’t have to manually move your funds every pay period.
How does JelliCash Rewards work?
You’ll earn cashback deposited directly into your Jelli account when you use your debit card at qualifying merchants. The list of merchants is subject to change, so check the Jelli app for a current list.
Watch out that certain types of transactions never qualify for cashback rewards:
- ATM withdrawals
- In-store cash withdrawals
What fees should I look out for?Jelli doesn’t charge monthly or overdraft fees, but there’s a laundry list of other fees to watch out for:
|PIN-based debit purchases, domestic||$0.50|
|PIN-based debit purchases, international||$2 + up to 3% of transaction amount + currency exchange rate|
|Signature-based debit purchases, domestic||Free|
|Signature-based debit purchases, international||$2 + up to 3% of transaction amount + currency exchange rate|
|Cash reloads||$2 + third-party fees|
|Check deposit at retail location||$2 + third-party fees|
|Cash withdrawal at bank or retail location||$2 + third-party fees|
|ATM withdrawal, domestic||$2 + third-party fees|
|ATM withdrawal, international||$3.50 + third-party fees|
|Bill pay fee (electronic and paper check)||$1.00|
|Bill pay fee for canceling a check||$25.00|
|Account inactivity after 90 days||$3.50|
|Account cancellation with refund||$10|
|Balance inquiry using automated customer service number||$0.50|
How do I open a Jelli account?
Follow these steps to open your Jelli account:
- Download the Jelli app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Launch the app, enter your email address and click Sign Up.
- Review the fees and click Continue.
- Enter your full name and phone number.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click Continue.
- Follow the prompts to finish your application and request your card.
Open a Jelli account when you meet these requirements:
- US resident
- At least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security number
You’ll need to provide this information when signing up:
- Full name
- Email address
- Residential address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
How long will it take to get my card?
Once your account is approved, you’ll instantly get a virtual debit card to use online and through ApplePay or GooglePay. Your physical debit card will arrive in the mail within seven to 10 business days
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?Jelli doesn’t support wire transfers, but there are several ways to access money:
- Direct deposit
- Cash or check deposit at a CashPass, MoneyGram or Western Union location
- Bank transfer
- Cash back at retail location
- Bank transfer