HMBradley account review
This savings account includes a debit card and earns up to 3.0% APY, but it requires direct deposits.HMBradley is a digital bank offering that combines aspects of traditional checking and savings. You’ll get a debit card and can earn up to 3% APY. But your account must receive at least one direct deposit a month and your APY is based on the percentage of your income you save, not on your total balance.
$0 per month
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
The HMBradley bank account is best for those looking to earn more interest the more you save. With HMBradley‘s savings tiers, you’re rewarded with more interest the more you save each quarter.
You could earn up to 3% APY as long as you save at least 20% of your income. And on the first three months of account opening you’ll automatically earn 1% APY.
But like most digital banks, HMBradley currently doesn’t support remote check deposits and to earn interest you’ll need to set up direct deposits and save at least 5% of your income.
How do I open an HMBradley account?
Open an HMBradley account in five steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Provider site and select apply now
- Enter your email address, create a username and password, then select Next.
- Enter the confirmation code HMBradley sends to your email address and continue to the next page.
- Fill out your name, phone number and other personal information.
- Work with your employer to set up direct deposit to your HMBradley account.
To open an HMBradley account, you must meet the following criteria:
- US citizen, legal resident alien or legal nonresident alien
- At least 18 years old
- Permanent physical US residential address
You must provide the following information when you apply:
- Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification number
- US phone number
What are the benefits of an HMBradley account?
HMBradley comes with several attractive benefits:
- High APYs. New accounts start at HMBradley‘s savings Tier 3, which earns 1% APY during the first three months of account opening. But you could later earn as high as 3% APY if you save at least 20% of your direct deposits in a given quarter.
- Savings goals. HMBradley lets you create specific savings plans with automatic deposits.
- Few fees. HMBradley doesn’t charge any monthly fees, but you’ll pay $35 for overdrafts — which is average to what other banks charge — and $10 if you need your debit card replaced more than twice.
How much interest will I earn with HMBradley?HMBradley has tiered interest rates that range from 0% to 3% based on the percentage of direct deposits you don’t spend. Interest compounds daily and is paid monthly, but the bank recalculates your APY every three months.
How do HMBradley‘s savings tiers work?
Unlike other banks that calculate your APY based on your account balance, HMBradley determines your interest rate based on the percentage of your direct deposits saved each quarter. Here’s an overview of how the savings tiers work:
|Tier 1||20% or more saved||3% APY|
|Tier 2||15% to 19.99% saved||2% APY|
|Tier 3||10% to 14.99% saved||1% APY|
|Tier 4||5% to 9.99% saved||0.5% APY|
|No tier||Less than 5% saved||0% APY|
All new HMBradley accounts earn a Tier 3 APY of 1% for the first three months. Note that your APY applies to the entire balance of your account — not only the amount you saved in a given quarter.
HMBradley‘s ATM network and feesHMBradley accounts come with a debit card you can use for free at more than Free at more than 55,000 ATMs in the STAR and MoneyPass networks. in the STAR and MoneyPass networks. HMBradley doesn’t charge fees for using ATMs outside of these networks but the owners of those ATMs might.
What should I look out for?
Like most digital banks, HMBradley accounts don’t offer remote check deposits, but it also has this drawback to keep in mind:
- Interest requirements. You’ll only earn interest when you receive at least one direct deposit each month and save 5% or more of your direct deposits each quarter. But you won’t earn any interest if you have more than $100,000 in your account.
If you get paid with paper checks as opposed to direct deposits, or struggle to save more than 5% of your income, you’ll want to explore other high-yield savings account options.
Compare HMBradley with other digital banks
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are a few different ways to deposit and withdraw money into and out of your HMBradley account:
- Direct deposit
- ACH transfer
- Incoming wire transfer
- ACH transfers
- Cashback at retailers
What other products does HMBradley offer?
Aside from its digital bank account, HMBradley also offers a credit card:
- HMBradley credit card. This Mastercard offers a unique rewards program that gives you 3% cash back on purchases in the category you spend the most on. You’ll also earn 2% cash back on purchases associated with your second most common category and all other purchases earn 1% back.
Frequently asked questions
What is HMBradley‘s routing number?
HMBradley’s routing number is 322286188.
Can I send outgoing wire transfers from my HMBradley account?
No, right now there’s no way to conduct outgoing wire transfers.