Harley-Davidson motorcycle insurance review Jul 2020
Harley caters to bikers with customized policies and knowledgeable service
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote for biker-specific coverage or if you just love the Harley-Davidson brand.
- Pick something else if you need all your insurance products in one place.
- Many riders can apply. HOG members get an extra reward.
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes (12 months no accidents)|
- Knowledgeable customer service
- Coverage options galore
- Tons of discounts
- Covers any bike
- HOG membership discount
- Coverage varies by state
- Not available in Alaska, Hawaii or Washington, DC
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
This well-known brand also insurers motorcycles, and not just its own models. Harley-Davidson provides a rare list of motorcycle coverage, add-ons and discounts to give you maximum protection. This provider is best for those who enjoy biker-specific insurance and are looking to customize a policy with specific benefits.
But it may not suit those who like to bundle insurance needs in one place. For protecting other vehicles, you’ll need to find another insurer. It does one thing and one thing well: protecting your motorcycle.
What motorcycle insurance coverage does Harley-Davidson offer?
Harley-Davidson offers the wide coverage you need for protection on the road:
- Bodily injury liability. Pay expenses for injuries to other drivers or passengers involved in an accident. This includes medical expenses and lost wages for the injured person.
- Property damage liability. Protect yourself from expenses related to vehicles or other property damage in an accident where you’re at fault.
- Guest passenger liability. Cover friends and family riding with you if you’re found at fault in an accident.
- Collision. Protect yourself from accidents involving a collision with another vehicle or object, or from objects that hit you.
- Comprehensive. Stay prepared for the unexpected like theft, vandalism or storm damage.
- Uninsured and under insured motorist. Get the repairs or medical coverage you need, even if the at-fault driver has insufficient insurance.
- Medical payments. Make sure you and your passengers are covered for medical expenses related to a motorcycle accident.
- Personal injury protection. Cover expensive medical bills, income loss and funeral expenses for you or anyone else insured on the policy, regardless of who’s at fault. This coverage may be limited or unavailable in some states.
What extra benefits and add-ons can I get with Harley-Davidson?
The company includes helpful features you can add to your policy for extra protection:
- Optional equipment. Pay for damages to customized equipment that doesn’t come standard on your bike.
- Bike replacement cost. Replace your motorcycle in a total-loss accident at its ticket value without factoring in depreciation.
- Optional equipment replacement cost. Protect your investment in customized equipment that doesn’t come factory standard. With this coverage, you can replace it at its full value in the event of a total loss.
- Roadside assistance. Get 24-hour emergency service for towing, fluid delivery, battery failure, lost keys and flat tires.
- Rental reimbursement. Use a rental vehicle to get around while your motorcycle is in the repair shop.
- Rental bike coverage. Want to rent a bike while you’re away on vacation? Get the same coverage as you would get on your bike at home.
- Theft protection. Get assistance with locating a stolen bike or replacing the loss.
- GAP insurance. Pay the remaining loan or lease balance if your bike gets stolen or involved in a total-loss accident.
- Maintenance plan. Cover the basic maintenance needs on your bike to prevent mechanical breakdowns later.
- Extended service plan. Widen your coverage to repair your bike after an accident for up to seven years and unlimited miles.
- Appearance protection. Safeguard your motorcycle’s style by protecting its paint, leather and chrome from damage on the road.
What types of motorcycles does Harley-Davidson cover?
As you might expect with this motorcycle aficionado company, Harley-Davidson covers a variety of motorcycles, not just Harleys:
- Classic motorcycle
- Customized bike
- Dual purpose
- Off-road vehicles
- Sport bike
- Sport touring bike
- S Series
- Street Rod
- Touring motorcycle
What bike insurance discounts can I get with Harley-Davidson?
Harley-Davidson has one of the longest lists of motorcycle insurance discounts you may qualify for:
- Motorcycle license endorsement. Receive a motorcycle endorsement, which extends your driver’s license specifically to motorcycles.
- HOG member. Become a Harley Owners Group member and get roadside assistance and discounts with AT&T wireless.
- Riding academy. Complete an H-D Riding Academy New Rider Course for additional savings. You may also get a discount if you’ve completed other approved safety courses in the last five years.
- Experienced rider. Get a discount based on the number of years you’ve been a licensed motorcycle rider.
- New bike. Experience the road with a brand-new motorcycle and enjoy a lower rate.
- Multi-cycle. Insure more than one motorcycle on the same policy.
- Antitheft device. Protect your bike from theft with antitheft devices, such as an alarm or theft recovery system.
- Claims-free. Keep your rides accident free for savings on your next policy period.
- Bundles. Bundle other Harley-Davidson insurance products, such as a motorcycle maintenance plan.
- Customer loyalty. Save money when you’ve kept a Harley-Davidson policy for over a year and add a bike that’s newer than your current motorcycle.
- Paid on time. Make all your payments on time and you’ll get a discount on your policy renewal.
- Homeownership. Receive a discount just for owning an insured home, townhome, condo, mobile home or modular home.
Pros and cons of Harley-Davidson motorcycle insurance
- Knowledgeable customer service. Harley-Davidson provides insurance products for motorcycles only. That means you’ll get specialized customer service from knowledgeable representatives.
- Coverage options galore. The company offers extensive coverage options to fill a variety of needs.
- A host of discounts. Get one or more discounts with simple eligibility requirements.
- Covers bikes besides Harleys. Motorcycles in all shapes and sizes can find coverage here.
- Harley Owners Group membership discount. The company offers benefits for its HOG members.
- Coverage varies by state. Coverage options may be limited or unavailable in certain states.
- Not available in every state. The company doesn’t provide coverage in Alaska, Hawaii or Washington, DC
Alternatives to Harley-Davidson insurance
How to apply for Harley-Davidson motorcycle insurance
Start the application process by getting a quote online, by phone or in person:
Online. Follow these steps to apply online:
- Go to Harley-Davidson’s motorcycle insurance homepage.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Get a quote.
- Enter your personal information, motorcycle details and named riders.
- Fill in necessary information to view your available discounts.
- Choose coverage, confirm your information and view your quote.
- Accept a policy and fill in payment details.
Phone. Get a direct line to a Harley-Davidson representative by calling 800-909-8393, Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. or Sunday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
Harley-Davidson dealer. Harley-Davidson dealerships can also assist you in getting motorcycle insurance. Find a local dealer from the company’s website.
What info do I need to apply?
Keeping this information on hand will speed up the application process:
- Personal information: home address, phone number and date of birth
- Driver’s or motorcycle license number
- Motorcycle details: make, model and license plate number
- Driving history of named riders
- Choice of coverage and policy start date
- Payment information
How to make a claim with Harley-Davidson
Report a claim at your convenience 24/7, either online or by phone:
- Online. Enter your accident details by logging into your customer account.
- Phone. To speak with a motorcycle claims specialist call 800-242-2464 at any time, day or night.
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.