Erie motorcycle insurance review Oct 2021
Strong customer service, useful discounts and bonus coverage for your bike
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if excellent customer service is at the top of your list.
- Pick something else if you can’t get coverage in your state.
- Motorcycle riders of all types can apply.
|States served||District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Claims methods||phone, in-person|
- High customer ratings
- Local agents
- Free additional benefits
- Rate lock
- Only available in 12 states and DC
- Few coverage add-ons
- Discount availability varies
- No online claims
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Erie is known for its stellar customer service, topping the list of J.D. Power’s 2018 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. You may also get helpful discounts like the Erie Rate Lock feature. However, the company only offers motorcycle insurance, and in a limited number of states.
How to apply for Erie motorcycle insurance
Start the application process with Erie either online or through a local representative:
Online. Follow these steps to apply online:
- Go to Erie’s motorcycle homepage and click Get a quote.
- Enter your personal information, motorcycle information, driver details and coverage needs.
- Confirm your information and view your quote.
- Contact a local agent to proceed with coverage.
Local agent. Find an authorized agent near you by clicking Find an agent on the website. Then, enter your ZIP code and view available agents in your area.
What info do I need to apply?
Speed through the application process with a few pieces of information:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s or motorcycle license number
- Motorcycle details: make, model and plate number
- Driving history
- Choice of coverage
- Payment information
- First accident forgiveness. Stick with Erie for three years and get your first at-fault accident waived.
- Safety features. Find savings for having motorcycle safety features like antilock brakes or an antitheft device.
- Erie rate lock. You may qualify to lock in your insurance rate if you have this feature on car insurance as well. Your rate stays the same even if you make a claim, unless you add or remove a vehicle or driver, or change your address.
- Vehicle storage. Lower your premium to Erie’s reduced usage rate if you plan on storing your motorcycle for at least 90 consecutive days.
- Multipolicy. Keep your insurance policies all in one place at Erie, including home and auto.
- Paid in full. Pay your annual premium all at once for this easy discount.
- Bodily injury liability. Pay medical bills for the other driver and passengers involved when you’re at fault.
- Property damage liability. Take responsibility for vehicle and other property damages related to your accident, without paying out of pocket.
- Collision. Get coverage for motorcycle damage in accidents you may cause.
- Comprehensive. Cover non-collision accidents that could arise such as theft, vandalism or hitting an animal.
- Medical payments. Pay for personal injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Safety gear. Cover the helmet, riding boots and eyewear that protect you as you ride, up to $3,000 at no extra cost. You can also purchase additional coverage.
- Accessories. Get coverage for accessories and customizations like paint, chrome or saddlebags included in your policy.
- Roadside assistance. Find peace of mind about minor needs on the road for a small add-on cost. This covers needs like towing, fluid delivery and tire repairs.
- Local agent. Contact your local agent via phone or personal office visit. Find the nearest agent with Erie’s Find an Agent locator.
- Phone. To file by phone, call 800-367-3743 and press 2 for new claims or 5 to check on a previously reported claim.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- Top customer experience. Known for its customer service, Erie won the highest J.D. Power award for the 2018 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Local agents. The company also provides a personal touch by serving through local agents.
- Free additional benefits. Erie offers several key motorcycle benefits included in your standard policy.
- Many helpful discounts. You may qualify for a variety of discounts, including rate lock and lowered storage fees.
- Few coverage add-ons. The company lists only a handful of optional coverage options that you can add to your policy.
- Discount availability. Some discounts may not be available in certain states.
- Not available in every state. Erie serves only 12 US states and the District of Columbia.
- No online claims. The company could offer convenient online access for filing claims.
What discounts can I get with Erie?
Erie provides a few discounts you may qualify for:
What motorcycle insurance coverage does Erie offer?
Erie offers the coverage you need to get out on the road:
What extra benefits and add-ons does Erie offer?
Erie offers several add-ons for your benefit, including some bonus features that automatically come with your policy:
Alternatives to Erie
If you’re looking to combine policies or you just want to compare more options, check out our motorcycle insurance guide to learn even more.
How to make a claim with Erie
Report an accident through your local Erie agent or 24/7 claims phone support:
Where can I get Erie motorcycle insurance?
Erie offers motorcycle insurance in 12 US states, including:
Pros and cons of Erie motorcycle insurance
Frequently asked questions about Erie motorcycle insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.