Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card review
The entry-level Quicksilver offers a 1.5% unlimited cashback card with no annual fee.
finder.com’s rating: 4.2 / 5
- Get this card if you’re looking for a cashback card that comes with no annual fees.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a higher cash back on specific categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 1.5%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 15 months (then 15.49% to 25.49% variable)
|Welcome Offer||$200 cash back after spending $500 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||1.5% cash back on all purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 months (then 15.49% to 25.49% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||15.49%, 21.49% or 25.49% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
A straightforward cash back offering, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a flat 1.5% reward rate on all purchases. You’ll enjoy 1.5% back on all purchases, a $200 signup bonus, $0 annual fee and a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months.
While this card is relatively no-frills, you will find a few additional perks to enjoy: no foreign transaction fees, fraud liability protection and travel and car rental insurance.
Former Finder Insurance Publisher Roslyn McKenna, who owns the card, says she likes that she can use the card anywhere in the world without worrying about foreign transaction fees. She enjoys the convenience of having a flat cashback rate because it means she doesn’t have to worry whether she gets more cash back for gas or restaurants as it’s the same amount for any purchase. She also notes that Capital One’s customer support has been helpful and that the provider has one of the most user-friendly online banking platforms. “ I like that I get emails when there’s a suspected fraud, but my account’s not frozen,” she says.
If you’re looking for a simple, pay-and-forget way to earn cash back on purchases, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card could be right up your alley. If you’re looking for more flexibility or perks however, you might want to check out your other options.
How to apply for the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
If you apply by phone or online, you’ll typically get a response in less than a minute. In some cases, Capital One requires additional information to make a decision. You’ll be notified in writing in 7 to 10 days of your application. Once approved, you’ll receive your Capital One card, credit limit information and welcome materials by mail in 7 to 10 business days.
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
What to know before you apply
To apply for this card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. You also need to provide personal details, such as:
- Full name and contact information.
- Social Security number and date of birth.
- Employment and financial information.
Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card benefits
- Signup bonus. Earn a $200 bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months after account opening. This is an easy bonus to get compared to other cards.
- Cash back. Get unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. You can redeem your cash back as a statement credit towards previous purchases, gift cards and more.
- Intro APR period. Get a 0% intro APR period on purchases for 15 months following your account opening. After that, a variable APR of 15.49% to 25.49% applies.
- No annual fee. You don’t need to pay anything to own the card.
- No foreign transaction fees. Use your card freely when you travel and you won’t incur any fees. Other cards have up to 3% foreign transaction fees.
- Fraud liability protection. Get $0 fraud liability if your card is lost or stolen.
- Travel and car rental insurance. Your rental car is covered against theft or damage when you pay the entire car rental with your card. And with travel insurance, you’re insured against accidental death and dismemberment.
Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card drawbacks
- Credit line. Your credit line is determined by Capital One based on multiple factors. But the minimum credit line you can receive is $1,000.
- Don’t pay late. You’ll pay fees up to $40 for late payments. However, there’s no penalty APR. Other cards have a penalty APR of up to 31% if you make a single late payment.
- No intro balance transfer offer. Capital One previously offered a balance transfer intro APR for this card. At the time of this writing, it’s removed this benefit. There is some good news: If you transfer a balance at the normal APR, you’ll pay no transfer fee. This could be especially helpful if you plan on paying off a small balance relatively quickly. You can request balance transfers 10 days after you open your account, but know that not all accounts are eligible for balance transfers. Also, Capital One doesn’t permit balance transfers between Capital One accounts.
Compare similar cashback credit cards
If the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card doesn’t suit your fancy, choose up to 4 credit cards and click Compare to see how other cashback credit cards on the market stack up side-by-side.
Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card reviews and complaints
Most customer complaints revolve around their credit limit. Some claim that they received a low credit line and never got an increase despite paying on time. Others claim that Capital One lowered their credit line without any reason or explanation.
However, this was not the case with all customers. Others are happy with the card, the credit line they got and love the unlimited cash back.
The Better Business Bureau has Capital One with a rating of as of . However, it sports a 1.13 out of 5 when it comes to a customer rating from an average of nearly 500 reviews. It fares little better on Trustpilot, earning a rating out of 5 as of .
How much cashback rewards can I earn?
You earn a flat rate across all categories with this card, which makes calculating your potential rewards fairly simple. Here’s a potential yearly budget:
|Where you spend:||The amount you spend:||Cash back earned:|
For annual spending similar to our example, you would earn $195 annually with this card. And once you clear the signup bonus, your cash back for the first year would be $345.
How do I redeem rewards?
Request your Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card cash back and get it in the form of a:
- Statement credit
- Credit for previous purchases
- Gift card
You can also set up automatic redemption preferences. Just visit capitalone.com or call their rewards center and choose between:
- A set time each calendar year
- When a specific threshold — $25, $50, $100 or $200 — is reached
If you decide not to set this up, your cash back is available upon request. Learn more about how to earn and redeem with your Capital One card using our guide.
If you’re looking for a hassle-free rewards credit card without an annual fee, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card could be the right card for you.
If you’re looking for a card with a bit more to offer in the way of perks and features, check out other cash back cards and find the one that meets all of your needs.
Compare Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card with other cards
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.