Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card review
A classic rewards card offering unlimited cash back on purchases with no annual fee.
finder.com’s rating: 4.2 / 5.0
- Get this card if you’re looking for a cashback card that comes with no annual fees.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a higher cash back on specific categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 1.5%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 15 months (then 15.49% to 25.49% variable)
|Welcome Offer||$200 cash back after spending $500 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||1.5% cash back on all purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 months (then 15.49% to 25.49% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||15.49%, 21.49% or 25.49% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
A rather traditional cash back offering, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a flat reward rate on all purchases. You’ll enjoy 1.5x back on all purchases, a $200 signup bonus, $0 annual fee and a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months.
While this card is relatively no-frills, you will find a few additional perks to enjoy: no foreign transaction fees, fraud liability protection and travel and car rental insurance.
If you’re looking for a simple, pay-and-forget way to earn cash back on purchases, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card could be right up your alley. If you’re looking for more flexibility or perks however, you might want to check out your other options.
How to apply for the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
How long will it take to get my Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card?
If you apply by phone or online, you’ll typically get a response in less than a minute. In some cases, Capital One requires additional information to make a decision. You’ll be notified in writing in 7 to 10 days of your application.
Once approved, you’ll receive your Capital One card, credit limit information and welcome materials by mail in seven to 10 business days.
- Signup bonus. Earn a $200 bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months after account opening. This is an easy bonus to get compared to other cards.
- Cash back. Get unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. You can also redeem your cash back as a statement credit towards previous purchases, gift cards and more.
- Intro APR period. Get a 0% intro APR period on purchases for 15 months following your account opening. After that, a variable APR of 15.49% to 25.49% applies.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card?
You earn a flat rate across all categories with this card, which makes calculating your potential rewards fairly simple. Here’s a potential yearly budget:
|Where you spend:||The amount you spend:||Cash back earned:|
For annual spending similar to our example, you would earn $195 annually with this card. And once you clear the signup bonus, your cash back for the first year would be $345.
You’ll also like …
- No annual fee. You don’t need to pay anything to own the card.
- No foreign transaction fees. Use your card freely when you travel and you won’t incur any fees. Other cards have up to 3% foreign transaction fees.
- Fraud liability protection. Get $0 fraud liability if your card is lost or stolen.
- Travel and car rental insurance. Your rental car is covered against theft or damage when you pay the entire car rental with your card. And with travel insurance you’re insured against accidental death and dismemberment.
Survey data on Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
What credit score did you have when you were approved for this credit card?
Based on a survey of 47 people (out of 229 respondents) on finder.com
What interests you most about this credit card?
Based on a survey of 127 people (out of 229 respondents) on finder.com
|Features and benefits||35.43%|
Case study: Roslyn’s experience
- I get a flat cash back rate. I’m earning 1.5% cashback on every purchase at the time of writing. I don’t have to worry about whether I get more cash back for gas or restaurants since it’s the same amount for any purchase.
- I can use it anywhere in the world. There are no foreign transaction fees, and I’ve been able to use it for everyday purchases and cash advances on international trips.
There’s no annual fee. I have a backup card from 1st Financial Bank. I have to call every year to waive the ~$30 annual fee, which is annoying.
- Online banking is convenient. Capital One has one of the most user-friendly online platforms to use to check your account. I also like that I get emails when there’s a suspected fraud, but my account’s not frozen.
- Customer support is helpful. I’ve never had an issue that customer service couldn’t resolve.
What to watch out for
- Credit line. Your credit line is determined by Capital One based on multiple factors. But the minimum credit line you can receive is $1,000.
- Don’t pay late. You’ll pay fees up to $40 for late payments. However, there’s no penalty APR. Other cards have a penalty APR of up to 31% if you make a single late payment.
Compare similar cashback credit cards
Compare Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card with other cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
Capital One previously offered a balance transfer intro APR for this card. At the time of this writing, it’s removed this benefit.
There is some good news: If you transfer a balance at the normal APR, you’ll pay no transfer fee. This could be especially helpful if you plan on paying off a small balance relatively quickly.
You can request balance transfers 10 days after you open your account, but know that not all accounts are eligible for balance transfers. Also, Capital One doesn’t permit balance transfers between Capital One accounts.
What to know before you apply
To apply for this card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. You also need to provide personal details, such as:
- Full name and contact information.
- Social Security number and date of birth.
- Employment and financial information.
What credit score do I need?
To increase your chances of approval, get a lower APR and a higher credit line, apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. Capital One also takes into account factors that affect your credit score, such as credit utilization and history.
Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card reviews and complaints
Most customer complaints revolve around their credit limit. Some claim that they received a low credit line and never got an increase despite paying on time. Others claim that Capital One lowered their credit line without any reason or explanation.
However, this was not the case with all customers. Others are happy with the card, the credit line they got and love the unlimited cash back.
The Better Business Bureau has accredited Capital One with a rating of A as of October 2020. However, it sports a 1.13 out of 5 when it comes to a customer rating from an average of nearly 500 reviews. It fares little better on Trustpilot, earning a 1.4 rating out of 5 as of October 2020.
I got the card, now what?
- Download Capital One® Mobile app. Use your app to pay bills or send money to friends and family. You can also monitor your card activity and you can redeem rewards.
- Pay on time. Your due date is a minimum of 25 days after the close of each billing cycle. Try to make your payments by then to avoid paying late fees.
- Customer service. For any questions, call 800-227-4825 and Capital One’s customer service will help you out.
How do I redeem rewards from Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card?
Request your Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card cash back and get it in the form of a:
- Statement credit
- Credit for previous purchases
- Gift card
You can also set up automatic redemption preference. Just visit capitalone.com or call their rewards center and choose between:
- A set time each calendar year
- When a specific threshold — $25, $50, $100 or $200 — is reached
If you decide not to set this up, your cash back is available upon request.
If you’re looking for a hassle-free rewards credit card without an annual fee, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card could be the right card for you.
It’s not the only card on the market though, check out other cash back cards and find the one that meets all of your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.
Learn the details of our methodology and scoring.