Finder may earn compensation from partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How does PayPal.Me work?
Learn how to create a custom link for your PayPal account and what you can use it for.
What is PayPal.Me?
PayPal.Me allows users who have a PayPal account to create a customized link to quickly request payments directly to their PayPal account. It was launched in 2015 to remove the need to give out personal information, like an email address or phone number, and can be customized with preset amounts of money.
What are the benefits?
- Create a simple, personalized link to share with friends, family, customers, strangers and more.
- Customize links with the amount of money you want to be paid.
- Have funds transferred directly to your PayPal account.
What should you watch out for?
- You can’t change your PayPal.Me link once it’s created.
- You can only have one PayPal.Me link per PayPal account.
- There are no tracking features for payments, so you won’t know why or what the money was sent for.
Because PayPal.Me transactions are the same as PayPal transactions, any fees you’d normally incur from PayPal will be attached to the PayPal.Me transaction.
The following fees apply when sending money to friends and family.
|Funding method||Destination country||Fees|
|PayPal balance or linked bank account||United States||$0|
|Credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit||United States||2.9% of the transaction amount + $0.30|
|PayPal balance or linked bank account||Any other country||5% of the transaction amount ($0.99 minimum, $4.99 maximum)|
|Credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit||Any other country||5% of the transaction amount ($0.99 minimum, $4.99 maximum) + 2.9% of the transaction amount paid using a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit + a fixed fee based on the currency|
How to use PayPal.Me
Your PayPal.Me link is designed to make requesting payments easier. Signing up requires you to already have a PayPal account or you must be willing to make one. Once you have a PayPal account, follow these steps to create your PayPal.Me link:
- Visit PayPal.Me in the web browser of your choice.
- Click Create Your PayPal.Me Link.
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Enter the text you want for your PayPal link. Remember, this cannot be changed after you set it.
- Click Agree and Create to finalize your PayPal.Me link.
How to request money through PayPal.Me
Requesting money through PayPal.Me is as easy as sending your custom link to whoever you are requesting money from. There are two types of link you can send to request money:
- https://www.paypal.me/YOURNAME: This will request a payment without a specific payment amount. For example, paypal.me/finder.com will request any amount of money to be sent to the finder.com PayPal account.
- https://www.paypal.me/YOURNAME/number: Whatever number you place at the end will create a request for that amount of money. For example, paypal.me/finder.com/100 will request $100 to be sent to the finder.com PayPal account.
You can create a PayPal.Me link through the PayPal.Me website or using the link structure above.
How do I pay someone through PayPal.Me?
To make a payment through PayPal.Me, ask the person you want to pay to send you a PayPal.Me link. After you have the link, either paste it into your web browser or click on it if it’s already a hyperlink.
The link will take you to a payment page where you can log in to your PayPal account to complete the payment with your preferred payment method.
PayPal.Me vs. Cashtag
One of the main differences between PayPal’s PayPal.Me feature and Cash App’s Cashtag feature is that PayPal.Me is available in many countries around the world. Cashtag is currently limited to the US and UK only. Other notable differences between the two include:
- Cashtags can be paid without a Cash App account, while PayPal.Me requires the payer to have a PayPal account.
- Cashtags charge slightly lower fees for businesses, while PayPal.Me uses the same fee structure as regular PayPal transactions.
- PayPal.Me links can never be changed. Cash App allows you to change your Cashtag link twice.
How does PayPal compare to other domestic transfer options?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
PayPal.Me is a convenient way to request money, so long as the person you are requesting money from already has a PayPal account or is willing to create one. These kinds of payments function exactly as other PayPal transactions do and prevent you from having to share any more personal information than the link.
Frequently asked questions
Can you change your PayPal.Me link?
Are purchases made through PayPal.Me protected by PayPal’s buyer and seller protection program?
Is PayPal.Me free to set up?
More guides on Finder
EnjinX Marketplace review and guide
EnjinX is an NFT Marketplace where assets can be purchased with ENJ. Enjin builds next-gen games using Ethereum based NFTs.
How to buy Ethereum (ETH) with a Credit Card
Credit cards are a popular way for buying Ethereum (ETH). Learn how you can do the same by reading this guide.
How to buy Solana (SOL) in 5 steps
Learn how to buy Solana (SOL) with this step-by-step guide and compare various supported cryptocurrency exchanges.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
How to sell Solana in 4 steps
Learn how to easily sell Solana (SOL) by following our step-by-step guide and compare 10+ crypto exchanges. Get started today.
How to buy Litecoin with PayPal in the US
Litecoin is one of four cryptocurrencies now offered by the global payments provider PayPal. Find out how to buy and sell Litecoin as well as the transaction fees involved when purchasing this cryptocurrency.
Sable Bank account review
Sable’s debit card earns rewards, but you can’t deposit checks or use ATMs for free.
How to buy Ethereum with PayPal in the US
Find out how to purchase Ether with Paypal.
Oxygen Business Bank account review
A business checking account with unlimited digital transactions but limited customer service
Huntington 25 Checking account review
A checking account that comes with free checks and complimentary credit score and identity monitoring services.
Ask an Expert