Foremost home insurance review
Introducing the insurer that takes on old, damaged and high-risk homes.
- Get a quote if
- Pick something else if you need wider options.
- Those with high-risk homes, spotty credit or claims history are welcome.
AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, West VA
- Accepts high-risk homes or homeowners
- Local agents
- Customizable policies
- Replacement cost coverage
- Coverage availability is mixed
- Mixed customer reviews
- Minimal website details
- No online quotes
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Optional|
|Valuable personal property||Optional|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Foremost can look after your high-risk home with at least standard coverage, although it may have wider options available that aren’t listed online.
But if your home doesn’t fit that risky category or you prefer to get a quote online, you could find a better fit with other providers.
What home insurance coverage does Foremost offer?
Foremost only lists the basic coverage homeowners need. However, its website says homeowners can customize a policy to fit their needs, with extra coverage available for homes in Texas. Listed coverage includes:
- Additional living expenses.
- Extended replacement cost.
- Mobile, vacant or seasonal homes.
- Named peril.
- Personal property replacement cost.
- Replacement cost.
- Valuable personal property.
What home insurance discounts can I get with Foremost?
The company only includes a few basic discounts, leaving out discounts common to other providers. Foremost’s discounts include:
Pros and cons of Foremost home insurance
- Accepts high-risk cases. Foremost specializes in situations not accepted by other insurers, like old or damaged homes or owners with bad credit or a long claims history.
- Personal touch. Get coverage through one of the company’s many local agents.
- Customizable policies. You can design a policy around your home’s specific needs.
- Replacement cost coverage. Add on replacement cost or extended replacement cost for wide physical damage protection.
- Not all coverage is available everywhere. Availability depends on your home and location.
- Mixed reviews. Customers waver back and forth on the company’s customer service and claims process.
- Minimal website details. Despite proclaiming comprehensive and customizable coverage, you’ll only see standard options listed online.
- No online quotes. You need to speak with a local agent to get a quote or apply for coverage.
How to apply for Foremost home insurance
Foremost sticks to personalized applications from local agents. Here’s a few steps to help you apply:
- From the company’s homepage, enter your ZIP code and select Home in the dropdown. Click Find an agent.
- Contact your local agent from the list generated for you.
- Provide your basic personal information and home address.
- List details about your home and coverage needs.
- Finalize policy details, provide payment information and start your policy.
- Verify your policy information by logging in to your online account.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Foremost?
You may need this information when applying through your agent:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Home details, such as the year built, construction type or replacement value
- Home safety features
- Coverage needs
- Policy start date
- Bank account, credit or debit card information