American Family Life Insurance review 2020
Purchase term, whole and flexible life insurance for ages zero to 80.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want a life insurance policy that can adjust to your needs.
- Choose a different provider if… You don’t live in one of the 30 covered states.
18 to 59
$50,000 to $350,000
Some customers will not need a medical exam.
Medical Exam Required
|Free quote||Online, over the phone|
|Policy options||Term, whole.|
|Term lengths||0, 15, 20, 30-year terms.|
|Monthly cost||Not listed|
|Claim methods||Contact your American Family Insurance agent or call 800-692-6326, ext. 78080|
|Available states||American Family Life Insurance is available in 30 states.|
|Customer support||800-692-6326 and live chat|
|Riders||Accelerated death benefit rider, Child rider, Waiver-of-premium rider|
Zak Ali is the Loans publisher for Finder, specializing in lending and money-saving strategies. Prior to working at Finder, Zak cofounded a news media website. He thrives on helping people make smart financial decisions. When Zak's not learning the ins and outs of insurance, he can be found soaking up the latest news stories and listening to his fave podcasts.
American Family Life Insurance offers personalized coverage for term and whole life policies with optional added coverage. But based on customer reviews, you may need to be patient during the claims process. Compare life insurance companies to find the best one for you.
What types of life insurance coverage does American Family Life Insurance offer?
American Family offers a mix of standard and specialized policies, including:
- Term life. Policies remain in effect for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years with consistent premiums and coverage. Higher coverage amounts require a medical exam.
- Whole life. Choose from different payment schedules for these long-term permanent policies. Children 17 and younger won’t need a medical exam.
- Children’s whole life. Lock in a low premium rate for your child at three coverage levels: $25,000, $50,000 or $75,000. Opt for a 10- or 20-year payment schedule.
- Senior whole life. Those between 50 and 80 years old can get coverage ranging from $10,000 or $15,000. With no medical exam, you can be issued a policy in as little as a week.
- Simplified term life. Simplified term life insurance is a starter policy that doesn’t require a medical exam. Choose a 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year term with coverage ranging from $50,000 to $150,000.
- DreamSecure Flexible Life Insurance. A long-term policy that changes with your needs. Premiums and coverage amounts adjust along life’s milestones, like marriage, children and retirement.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
The insurer allows eligible policyholders to customize their coverage with riders. You may be able to add these extras to your policy:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. If you become terminally ill, your policy pays a portion of your death benefit while you’re still alive to cover such expenses as hospital bills.
- Child rider. Adds $15,000 worth of coverage for biological and adopted children.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Waives your premiums if you suffer a disability.
How much does American Family Life Insurance cost?
The cost of your life insurance varies by coverage amount, policy type and your answers to basic health questions. For example, a 10-year term life insurance policy for a healthy nonsmoking woman can be as low as $8.55 a month.
Pros and cons of American Family Life Insurance
- Online quotes. If you live in a market American Family services, you can get a quote in minutes.
- Personalized coverage. Sign up for term, whole and flexible life insurance with optional riders.
- Financially strong. American Family Life has an A (Excellent) rating with AM Best, which means it has the cash to pay out claims.
- Long processing times. Policyholders reported having to follow up with their agents for several weeks during the claims process.
- No online payments. You must use an automated phone system to pay your policy.
- Not available in every state. American Family Life Insurance is available in 30 states and agents are only available in 19.
Compare other life insurance companies
If you’re looking for more options to compare, take a look at these other providers.
American Family Life insurance reviews and complaints
American Family isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it holds an A rating for its customer interaction. Some customers who have been with the company for many years cite being generally pleased with their experience working with American Family local offices and claim department services.
Most complaints on the BBB were about difficulty getting in touch with American Family agents. Many customers felt the lack of communication made the long claims process more difficult. Some customers reported having to wait several weeks to several months to receive payment.
How do I apply for American Family Life insurance?
Get an online quote before completing your policy with a local insurance agent.
- Get a quote. You can get a quote on American Family Insurance’s website. First, choose your state. Then, answer four questions about yourself to get an immediate cost estimate.
- Review coverage and cost estimate. American Family’s calculator lets you change your coverage amount to fit your situation.
- Customize your coverage. The final step is to work with an agent to customize and finalize your policy. Some policies can be issued in as little as one week.
Frequently asked questions
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor