American Family Life Insurance 2021
Purchase term, whole and flexible life insurance for ages 0 to 80.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want a life insurance policy that can adjust to your needs.
- Choose a different provider if… You don’t live in one of the 30 covered states.
18 to 59
$50,000 to $350,000
Some customers will not need a medical exam.
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||0, 15, 20, 30-year terms.|
|Medical exam required||Some customers will not need a medical exam.|
|Available states||American Family Life Insurance is available in 30 states.|
|Issue age||Not listed|
- Online quotes
- Personalized coverage
- Financially strong
- Long processing times
- No online payments
- Not available in every state
No info available
Zak Ali is the Loans publisher for Finder, specializing in lending and money-saving strategies. Prior to working at Finder, Zak cofounded a news media website. He thrives on helping people make smart financial decisions. When Zak's not learning the ins and outs of insurance, he can be found soaking up the latest news stories and listening to his fave podcasts.
American Family Life Insurance offers personalized coverage for term and whole life policies with optional added coverage. But based on customer reviews, you may need to be patient during the claims process. Compare life insurance companies to find the best one for you.
American Family life insurance rates
The cost of your life insurance varies by coverage amount, policy type and your answers to basic health questions. For example, a 10-year term life insurance policy for a healthy nonsmoking woman can be as low as $8.55 a month.
How to get a quote from American Family life insurance
Get an online quote before completing your policy with a local insurance agent.
- Get a quote. You can get a quote on American Family Insurance’s website. First, choose your state. Then, answer four questions about yourself to get an immediate cost estimate.
- Review coverage and cost estimate. American Family’s calculator lets you change your coverage amount to fit your situation.
- Customize your coverage. The final step is to work with an agent to customize and finalize your policy. Some policies can be issued in as little as one week.
American Family offers a mix of standard and specialized policies, including:
- Term life. Policies remain in effect for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years with consistent premiums and coverage. Higher coverage amounts require a medical exam.
- Whole life. Choose from different payment schedules for these long-term permanent policies. Children 17 and younger won’t need a medical exam.
- Children’s whole life. Lock in a low premium rate for your child at three coverage levels: $25,000, $50,000 or $75,000. Opt for a 10- or 20-year payment schedule.
- Senior whole life. Those between 50 and 80 years old can get coverage ranging from $10,000 or $15,000. With no medical exam, you can be issued a policy in as little as a week.
- Simplified term life. Simplified term life insurance is a starter policy that doesn’t require a medical exam. Choose a 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year term with coverage ranging from $50,000 to $150,000.
- DreamSecure Flexible Life Insurance. A long-term policy that changes with your needs. Premiums and coverage amounts adjust along life’s milestones, like marriage, children and retirement.
What riders can I add to my policy?
The insurer allows eligible policyholders to customize their coverage with riders. You may be able to add these extras to your policy:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. If you become terminally ill, your policy pays a portion of your death benefit while you’re still alive to cover expenses such as hospital bills.
- Child rider. Adds $15,000 worth of coverage for biological and adopted children.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Waives your premiums if you suffer a disability.
American Family life insurance reviews and complaints
Despite being in business for nearly 70 years, American Family isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, they have an A rating from the organization for their customer interaction.
Customers award the insurer 1 out of 5 stars, with many beneficiaries highlighting the slow or frustrating claims process. The BBB has recorded 181 complaints over the last three years, most of which had to do with problems cancelling or receiving payouts for policies.
|AM Best financial rating||
1.14/5 out of 43 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||2.8/5 out of 5 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||18 January 2021|
Get quotes from life insurance companies like American Family
If you’re looking for more options to compare, take a look at these other providers.
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor