- Easy-to-use platform
- Low fees
- Student and young investor discounts
The best residential REIT stocks depend on your portfolio and investment goals — while volatility can be ideal for day traders, long-term investors will want to look to stocks with steadier gains over time.
- Access to international stock exchanges
- Low margin rates
- Powerful research tools
- $50 in free trades
- Low commissions
- Easy-to-use app
Our picks for the best residential REIT stocksWe round up a selection of stocks in or related to the residential real estate industry, weighting the list more heavily towards popular mid- and large-cap US stocks.
1. Equity Residential (EQR)
Equity Residential is committed to creating communities where people thrive. The Company, a member of the S&P 500, is focused on the acquisition, development and management of residential properties located in and around dynamic cities that attract affluent long-term renters. Equity Residential owns or has investments in 305 properties consisting of 80,683 apartment units, with an established presence in Boston, New York, Washington, D.
- Previous close price: $56.58
- Market capitalization: $21,458,257,920
- 1 year performance: N/A
- P/E ratio: 32.6647
2. Essex Property Trust (ESS)
Essex Property Trust, Inc. , an S&P 500 company, is a fully integrated real estate investment trust (REIT) that acquires, develops, redevelops, and manages multifamily residential properties in selected West Coast markets. Essex currently has ownership interests in 252 apartment communities comprising approximately 62,000 apartment homes with an additional property in active development.
- Previous close price: $212.23
- Market capitalization: $14,097,959,936
- 1 year performance: -0.60%
- P/E ratio: 26.0344
3. Mid-America Apartment Communities (MAA)
MAA, an S&P 500 company, is a real estate investment trust (REIT) focused on delivering full-cycle and superior investment performance for shareholders through the ownership, management, acquisition, development and redevelopment of quality apartment communities primarily in the Southeast, Southwest and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. As of June 30, 2023, MAA had ownership interest in 101,986 apartment units, including communities currently in development, across 16 states and the District of Columbia. .
- Previous close price: $123.86
- Market capitalization: $14,700,158,976
- 1 year performance: N/A
- P/E ratio: 24.534
4. AvalonBay Communities (AVB)
As of September 30, 2023, the Company owned or held a direct or indirect ownership interest in 296 apartment communities containing 89,240 apartment homes in 12 states and the District of Columbia, of which 17 communities were under development and one community was under redevelopment. The Company is an equity REIT in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing apartment communities in leading metropolitan areas in New England, the New York/New Jersey Metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and Northern and Southern California, as well as in the Company's expansion regions of Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, North Carolina, Southeast Florida, Dallas and Austin, Texas, and Denver, Colorado. .
- Previous close price: $170.83
- Market capitalization: $24,621,142,016
- 1 year performance: 1.10%
- P/E ratio: 26.308
5. Invitation Homes (INVH)
Invitation Homes, an S&P 500 company, is the nation's premier single-family home leasing company, meeting changing lifestyle demands by providing access to high-quality, updated homes with valued features such as close proximity to jobs and access to good schools. The company's mission, Together with you, we make a house a home, reflects its commitment to providing homes where individuals and families can thrive and high-touch service that continuously enhances residents' living experiences. .
- Previous close price: $32.96
- Market capitalization: $20,499,621,888
- 1 year performance: 4.07%
- P/E ratio: 41.1852
6. American Homes 4 Rent (AMH)
American Homes 4 Rent (NYSE: AMH), which does business as AMH, is a leading owner, operator and developer of single-family rental homes. We're an internally managed Maryland real estate investment trust (REIT) focused on acquiring, developing, renovating, leasing and managing homes as rental properties. Our goal is to simplify the experience of leasing a home and deliver peace of mind to households across the country.
- Previous close price: $35.79
- Market capitalization: $14,937,334,784
- 1 year performance: 12.34%
- P/E ratio: 34.7404
7. American Campus Communities (ACC)
American Campus Communities, Inc. is the largest owner, manager and developer of high-quality student housing communities in the United States. The company is a fully integrated, self-managed and self-administered equity real estate investment trust (REIT) with expertise in the design, finance, development, construction management and operational management of student housing properties.
- Previous close price: $0.00
- Market capitalization: $18,128,078,848
- 1 year performance: N/A
- P/E ratio: 130.84
8. Camden Property Trust (CPT)
Camden Property Trust, an S&P 500 Company, is a real estate company primarily engaged in the ownership, management, development, redevelopment, acquisition, and construction of multifamily apartment communities. Camden owns and operates 172 properties containing 58,961 apartment homes across the United States. Upon completion of 5 properties currently under development, the Company's portfolio will increase to 60,514 apartment homes in 177 properties.
- Previous close price: $89.75
- Market capitalization: $9,432,150,016
- 1 year performance: N/A
- P/E ratio: 43.3039
How to buy residential REIT stocks
- Compare online trading platforms. If you're a beginner, look for a platform with low commissions, expert ratings and investment tools to track your portfolio. Use our comparison table to narrow down top brokers by fees and bonuses.
- Open and fund your account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and bank information. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for the stock you're interested in. Find the stock by name or ticker symbol, like EQR or ESS. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimize risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy fractional shares, depending on your broker.
- Buy the stock. Congratulations, you own a part of a residential REIT company. Optimize your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the sector as a whole — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
Buy residential REIT stocks from these online trading platformsCompare special offers, low fees and a wide range of investment options among top trading platforms.
Note: The dollar amounts in the table below are in Canadian dollars.
Bottom lineWhile it's possible to turn a profit investing in residential REIT stocks, keep in mind that — like any investment — residential REIT stocks are not immune to risk. These stocks are subject to fluctuating conditions — both in the market and in the residential real estate industry, so carefully vet your picks before you invest. And if you're new to investing, or if it's been awhile since you've taken a critical look at your investing accounts, compare brokers to make sure you're getting the best features in your trading account.
More on investing
Your guide to how ETFs work and whether this type of investment is right for you.Read more…
Learning how to read stock charts and recognize chart patterns can unlock your success as a trader.Read more…
Owning a stock means you own part of a company and can potentially grow your wealth. But there is a risk of loss.Read more…
More guides on Finder
How to buy Yoshitsu Co. stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing Yoshitsu Co. stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Cerberus Cyber Sentinel stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing Cerberus Cyber Sentinel stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Fresh Grapes LLC stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing Fresh Vine Wine, Inc stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Quest Diagnostics Incorporated stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing DGX with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Nuvectis Pharma (NVCT) stock in Canada when it goes public
Everything we know about the Nuvectis Pharma IPO plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy BuzzFeed stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing BuzzFeed, Inc stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
Best renewable energy stocks
These are the best renewable energy stocks to buy now in Canada.
How to buy ADMA Biologics stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing ADMA with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Dycom Industries stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing DY with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy VICI Properties stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing VICI with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.