- Easy-to-use platform
- Low fees
- Student and young investor discounts
The best platinum stocks depend on your portfolio and investment goals — while volatility can be ideal for day traders, long-term investors will want to look to stocks with steadier gains over time.
- Access to international stock exchanges
- Low margin rates
- Powerful research tools
- $50 in free trades
- Low commissions
- Easy-to-use app
Our picks for the best platinum stocksWe round up a selection of stocks in or related to the precious metals industry, weighting the list more heavily towards popular mid- and large-cap US stocks.
1. Franco-Nevada Corporation (FNV)
Franco-Nevada Corporation operates as a gold-focused royalty and streaming company in Latin America, the United States, Canada, and internationally. It operates through Mining and Energy segments. The company manages its portfolio with a focus on precious metals, such as gold, silver, and platinum group metals; and engages in the sale of crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids.
- Previous close price: $107.24
- Market capitalization: $20,602,841,088
- 1 year performance: -19.03%
- P/E ratio: 30.2938
2. ASA Gold and Precious Metals (ASA)
ASA Gold and Precious Metals Limited is a publicly owned investment manager. The firm invests in the public equity markets across the globe. It primarily invests in stocks of companies engaged in the exploration, mining or processing of gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, or other precious minerals.
- Previous close price: $13.82
- Market capitalization: $264,271,632
- 1 year performance: -6.05%
- P/E ratio: 27.4
3. Tiffany-and-Co (TIF)
Tiffany & Co. , through its subsidiaries, designs, manufactures, and retails jewelry and other items. The company offers jewelry collections, engagement rings, and wedding bands.
- Previous close price: $0.00
- Market capitalization: $16,044,431,360
- 1 year performance: N/A
- P/E ratio: 55.6562
4. Sibanye Gold Ltd ADR (SBSW)
Sibanye Stillwater Limited, together with its subsidiaries, operates as a precious metals mining company in South Africa, the United States, Europe, and Australia. The company produces gold; platinum group metals (PGMs), including palladium, platinum, rhodium, iridium, and ruthenium; chrome; nickel; and silver, cobalt, and copper. It owns the East Boulder and Stillwater mines located in Montana, the United States; and Columbus metallurgical complex, which smelts the material mined to produce PGM-rich filter cake, as well as conducts PGM recycling activities.
- Previous close price: $4.28
- Market capitalization: $3,304,688,128
- 1 year performance: -53.44%
- P/E ratio: 4.534
5. Wheaton Precious Metals (WPM)
Wheaton Precious Metals Corp. primarily sells precious metals in North America, Europe, and South America. It produces and sells gold, silver, palladium, and cobalt deposits.
- Previous close price: $40.74
- Market capitalization: $20,090,372,096
- 1 year performance: N/A
- P/E ratio: 37.5847
How to buy platinum stocks
- Compare online trading platforms. If you're a beginner, look for a platform with low commissions, expert ratings and investment tools to track your portfolio. Use our comparison table to narrow down top brokers by fees and bonuses.
- Open and fund your account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and bank information. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for the stock you're interested in. Find the stock by name or ticker symbol, like FNV or ASA. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimize risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy fractional shares, depending on your broker.
- Buy the stock. Congratulations, you own a part of a platinum company. Optimize your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the sector as a whole — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
Buy platinum stocks from these online trading platformsCompare special offers, low fees and a wide range of investment options among top trading platforms.
Note: The dollar amounts in the table below are in Canadian dollars.
Bottom lineWhile it's possible to turn a profit investing in platinum stocks, keep in mind that — like any investment — platinum stocks are not immune to risk. These stocks are subject to fluctuating conditions — both in the market and in the precious metals industry, so carefully vet your picks before you invest. And if you're new to investing, or if it's been awhile since you've taken a critical look at your investing accounts, compare brokers to make sure you're getting the best features in your trading account.
More on investing
Your guide to how ETFs work and whether this type of investment is right for you.Read more…
Learning how to read stock charts and recognize chart patterns can unlock your success as a trader.Read more…
Owning a stock means you own part of a company and can potentially grow your wealth. But there is a risk of loss.Read more…
More guides on Finder
How to buy Yoshitsu Co. stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing Yoshitsu Co. stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Cerberus Cyber Sentinel stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing Cerberus Cyber Sentinel stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Fresh Grapes LLC stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing Fresh Vine Wine, Inc stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Quest Diagnostics Incorporated stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing DGX with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Nuvectis Pharma (NVCT) stock in Canada when it goes public
Everything we know about the Nuvectis Pharma IPO plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy BuzzFeed stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing BuzzFeed, Inc stocks, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
Best renewable energy stocks
These are the best renewable energy stocks to buy now in Canada.
How to buy ADMA Biologics stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing ADMA with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Dycom Industries stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing DY with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy VICI Properties stock in Canada
Steps to owning and managing VICI with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.