Send fast and affordable transfers with international cash transfer providers.
So you need to send money overseas as quickly as possible, but aren’t sure where to start? Compare international cash transfer providers to send money to hundreds of locations around the globe in a matter of minutes. Check out our handy guide to find a fast and affordable service that allows you to send money overseas with low fees and competitive exchange rates.
Compare international cash transfer providers
Cash versus money transfer companies
If you’re looking to send money overseas from Canada, one of the best places to start is to figure out whether or not your timeline is flexible. Cash transfers allow you to send money to your destination country in minutes while money transfer companies typically take between one and three business days.
- Money transfer services. Online money transfer services typically offer the best exchange rates and fees on overseas transfers, with fees ranging between $0 and $20 and exchange rate markups falling below 5%.
- Cash transfer services. Cash transfer providers can help you send money internationally if you’re in a tight spot, but they also have a tendency to overcharge, both on exchange rates and transfer fees. For this reason, it can be well worth your time and energy to compare your options
Ways to send cash transfers overseas
There are three reputable money transfer companies that allow customers to send cash to overseas recipients.
- Western Union. Western Union is a virtual ninja when it comes to global payment services, with a whopping 550,000+ agent locations and 100,000 ATMs and kiosks in over 200 countries around the world. Lodge a transfer either online, through the WU mobile app or in person, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram is a leading provider of innovative global money transfer and payment services, with a staggering 350,000 agent locations in 200 countries around the world. Recipients simply collect funds from convenient locations or have money deposited directly into their bank account or a mobile wallet.
- WorldRemit. With numerous payment and delivery options, WorldRemit makes it even easier to send money from Canada to 140+ destinations across the world, with outstanding exchange rates and lower fees than the bank.
Each of the three options is a convenient and affordable way to send cash overseas. However, choosing the best option for you will depend on where and how you choose to send money overseas.
How do I compare cash transfers?
- Competitive exchange rates and fees. Ask for quotes from 3 – 4 providers to find the best fees and exchange rates. Keep in mind that cash transfer providers will typically charge higher fees than traditional money transfer companies in exchange for a faster turnaround time.
- Fast turnaround time. Most cash transfer agents will offer to process your transaction within minutes, while others might take a couple of hours. If you anticipate that you may need to send cash overseas in a matter of minutes, it might pay to register for and verify a cash transfer account in advance of sending your transfer.
- Range of pickup methods. Different providers offer different pick-up options, which range from the provider’s agent location to community locations like post offices and bank branches. Choose the provider that offers the most convenient option for your recipient.
- High quality customer service. Some companies set the bar high when it comes to customer service, so make sure to settle on a service that will make sure your transfer ends up in the right place at the right time, no questions asked.
What are the pros and cons of cash transfers?
- Wide range of options. If you need to send money overseas in a matter of minutes, there are a number of services that offer affordable and fast cash transfers to suit your unique set of needs and budget.
- Fast transfers. Cash transfers are known for being the fastest way to send money overseas. Most cash transfers can be picked up at an agent location within minutes of processing.
- Safe and secure. There are many trusted and reliable providers who have the proper authorities to transfer your funds safely and efficiently to your recipient.
- Lack of competitive fees and exchange rates. Different providers charge different fees for transferring funds but most cash transfer providers charge high fees and offer less competitive exchange rates. It pays to book your transfer with a traditional money transfer service if you have a more flexible timeline for delivery of funds.
Tips for picking up cash
If you’re planning to pick up cash overseas, it pays to check in with the Government of Canada travel advisories for the country where you intend to collect funds. Canadian tourists have had run-ins with petty crime, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, in many countries. Avoid showing signs of affluence and always keep your personal belongings, passports and travel documents secure. If you do need to collect cash, look for an agent location in a safe neighborhood and call ahead to make sure they’ll have cash on hand. Visit during daylight hours in the company of a good friend and return to your hotel to stow your cash in a safe place as quickly as possible.
Common questions about international cash transfers
You may also be interested in
Find out everything you need to know about MoneyGram including exchange rates, fees and the transfer process. Read more…
Azimo money transfer service remits funds to over 200 countries around the world. Learn about costs, transfer times and which Azimo services are available in Canada. Read more…
Ultimate Currency Exchange offers foreign currency exchange, both in person and online. Compare their services to some competitors. Read more…