Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to family, friends or businesses in the United Kingdom (or even to your own overseas bank account)?
Don't head straight to your Canadian bank – compare specialist money transfer services instead. They nearly always offer better GBP exchange rates and lower fees, so for the same amount of Canadian dollars you send, your recipient will receive more pounds.
Of the companies we've compared, RemitBee is among the cheapest, with competitive exchange rates and fees starting from $0. Need a really fast transfer? RemitBee can get money to your recipient in the United Kingdom within minutes.
Best ways to send money to the UK from CanadaThe best way to send money to the United Kingdom depends on your payment method, how you want your money to be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Online money transfer provider. When buying Canadian dollars or pounds money transfer specialists typically offer better rates and cheaper fees than a local bank.
- Bank transfer. Bank transfers are an easy way to send money to the United Kingdom but they charge extra for the convenience and are often slower than other methods.
- Cash pickup. If you need your money to arrive fast, cash pickup gives your recipient instant access to the money you've sent when they collect it from their agent location in the United Kingdom.
- Mobile wallet. Essentially an electronic wallet service, mobile wallets allow users to store, send and receive eligible currencies using their phone, often with fees attached.
Compare the best money transfer companies to send money to the UKUse our table to compare the best money transfer companies to send money to the United Kingdom. You can compare deposit and receiving options, fees and transfer speeds, then click the "Go to site" button when you've found the best one to get your money to the United Kingdom.
Cheapest way to send money to the UK
Bank transfers are typically the cheapest way to get your money to the United Kingdom. RemitBee and Instarem have some of the lowest bank transfer fees of the brands we've compared.
When you're hunting down the cheapest ways to send money to the United Kingdom, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer. This has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your Canadian bank, some money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is to add a margin to the mid-market CAD/GBP exchange rate.
Some providers may charge the mid-market rate but add fees on top. Others may have very low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many pounds your recipient will end up with.
Fastest way to send money to the UK
Many online providers can offer transfers to the United Kingdom within minutes, although you're likely to pay a premium for the convenience.Here are some of the fastest average transfer speeds to the United Kingdom:
- RemitBee — within minutes
- Instarem — within minutes
- Xe Money Transfers — within minutes
Actual transfer times from Canada to the United Kingdom can depend on several different factors including transfer amount, payment method and currency.
Safest way to send money to the UK
The safest way to get your money to the United Kingdom is to use a provider registered with Canada's industry regulator, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada. All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in both Canada and the United Kingdom.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our extended reviews of each transfer service and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot and similar platforms.
Large money transfers to the UK
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to the United Kingdom, consider using a provider such as RemitBee or OFX to benefit from its expertise in handling larger transfer amounts.Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers to the United Kingdom may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on CRA's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange (forex) tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the GBP exchange rate you want.
- Account manager. Some money transfer providers assign a personal account manager who can help and advise you on your transfer needs.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, providers such as RemitBee and OFX can give you support over the phone.
How to send money to the UK from Canada
To send money to the United Kingdom, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.
Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to the United Kingdom. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.
You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.
Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their British bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.
Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total pounds your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.
Send your money transfer to the United Kingdom. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
Example: Oliver sends money to the United Kingdom
Oliver is working in Canada as a doctor and he stays in regular contact with his elderly parents back home in the United Kingdom. His parents need some funds to help pay off a mortgage, so Oliver plans to send them $2,000 from Canada.
He decides to compare a bank and a money transfer specialist to see which one can save the most money on his transaction.
|Money transfer company
|1 CAD = 0.57 GBP
|1 CAD = 0.58 GBP
|Bank account deposit
|Bank account deposit
|2 - 5 working days
The money transfer company enables Oliver to send an extra £19.48, which is transferred straight to his parents' Lloyds Bank account.
How to choose the best money transfer companies to send money to the UK
When choosing a money transfer provider to send money from Canada to the United Kingdom, it's important to consider the cost, how you want your recipient to receive the funds and the turnaround time. Here are other features to review:
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. It is the best rate you can get. However, not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rate so compare the GBP you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to the United Kingdom for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a British bank account or is cash or cell phone top-up a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Companies such as RemitBee offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value and get your money to the United Kingdom faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, Instarem has a transfer limit of $3,000 while RemitBee allows transfers up to No limit.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may offer a discount if you transfer more than a specific amount of pounds.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to send money to Europe
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to Europe? Services, rates, and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Canada
Transferring CAN is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money to Canada.
Find the best way to send money to Morocco
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to Morocco? Services, rates, and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Malaysia
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to Malaysia? Services, rates, and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Pakistan
Want to send CAD to Pakistan? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Singapore
Sending money to Singapore from Canada? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to Ireland
Want to send CAD to Ireland? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to New Zealand
Transferring NZL is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Canada to New Zealand.
Best ways to send money to the Philippines
Want to send CAD to Philippines? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to India
Want to send CAD to India? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.