Choice Card from American Express Review
Earn points whenever you shop and redeem them for flexible rewards with this fee-free credit card.Earn 12,500 Bonus Membership Rewards points when you charge $1,250 in purchases to your card within the first 3 months as a new Cardmember. Apply by May 5, 2021.
Purchase Interest Rate
The Choice Card from American Express is a fee-free credit card that lets you earn points whenever you make purchases. Earn 1 American Express Membership Point for every $1 you spend on purchases. The main downside of this card is that it comes with no additional benefits or insurance.
- Get this card if you want to earn points for every dollar you spend but you’d rather not pay an annual fee.
- Choose something else if you want a higher return on rewards or you would prefer extra benefits such as travel insurance or purchase protection.
- There are no minimum income requirements to apply for this card.
If you’re looking for a basic fee-free card that lets you earn points whenever you shop, you might be interested in the Choice Card from American Express.
- No annual fee. You won’t have to pay an annual fee to maintain this card.
- Earn points. Earn 1 American Express Membership Point for every $1 you spend on purchases.
- Welcome bonus. Earn 12,500 Bonus Membership Rewards points when you charge $1,250 in purchases to your card within the first 3 months as a new Cardmember. Apply by May 5, 2021.
- Flexible points. Redeem your points for flexible rewards such as travel, merchandise, statement credits or Amazon purchases.
- Free additional cards. Order up to nine additional cards on your account for no extra fee.
- Entertainment access. Get access to special offers for music, dining, entertainment and exclusive events offered by American Express.
- Fraud protection. Relax knowing that you won’t have to pay for fraudulent purchases on your account with the Amex Fraud Protection Guarantee.
- Emergency card replacement. Get a new card shipped out to your location whenever you report your credit card lost or stolen (even if you’re travelling overseas).
- 24/7 customer service. Call the Amex customer service line at any time of day or night to report and resolve issues with your account.
- Easy to qualify. You won’t need to meet annual income requirements or other eligibility criteria to qualify for this card.
What to watch out for
- High interest. Interest rates range between 19.99% and 23.99% for any outstanding purchase balance you leave on your card.
- No basic insurance. You won’t get purchase protection or extended warranty coverage with this card (which is unusual even for a fee-free card).
- No travel insurance. This card doesn’t come with any form of travel medical, trip interruption or baggage insurance to cover you when you travel overseas.
- No additional benefits. There are no supplementary benefits such as mobile device insurance, roadside assistance or car rental insurance included with this card.
- Few airport perks. You won’t get additional airport perks such as priority boarding or airport lounge access with this card.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for a Choice Card from American Express, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
- Have a Canadian credit file or credit history
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Click the green ‘Go to site’ button above to be securely redirected to the online application for the Choice Card from American Express.
- Click “Apply now” and complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application or call the American Express toll-free hotline if you have questions.
The Choice Card from American Express is a basic credit card that lets you earn points when you make purchases. Rewards are flexible and you’ll also get access to a handful of exclusive perks that only American Express cardholders can take advantage of. The main downside of this card is that it offers no additional benefits or insurance.